Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Female teachers can teach only female students (wrt theology) apparently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Thanks for explaining.
    Is is helpful to understand where we agree or disagree.

I don't know if I can prove to you that truth is narrow, but consider this. To say that Jesus is the only way to God does not mean that Jesus himself, who is the Truth, is narrow. The love of Christ surpasses understanding. How could that be narrow? The peace of God exceeds all understanding. How could God be narrow? We only know in part as through a glass darkly but later we will know as we ourselves are known by God. In comparison, it may seem that what we know now is narrow, but surely God's knowledge is not narrow or constrained. God's understanding is infinite. God is Truth. Is not God infinitely beyond our ability to understand? How could God be narrow?
    God is immutable in His eternal nature. How is that not narrow? (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 6:17-18).

Truth is enjoyed by love (1 Corinthians 13:6). -> Godly love is to hate evil (1 John 2:15-17). Yes we are to love our enemies, but not their evil.

God's way is the narrow way (Matthew 7:13, 14; 21-23).
    Last edited by 37818; 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Is is helpful to understand where we agree or disagree.

God is immutable in His eternal nature. How is that not narrow? (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 6:17-18).

Truth is enjoyed by love (1 Corinthians 13:6). -> Godly love is to hate evil (1 John 2:15-17). Yes we are to love our enemies, but not their evil.

God's way is the narrow way (Matthew 7:13, 14; 21-23).
      Saying that God does not change or break his oath does not mean that God is narrow, just faithful and true. Saying that truth is enjoyed by love or that we are to hate evil and love our enemies does not mean that God is narrow, for God's love is immeasurable, and we are to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. Yes, God tells us to enter by the narrow gate, and, yes, the road is hard that leads to life, but that does not mean that the road does not lead to life abundant or that the God that is waiting for us is narrow or small in any way.

I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Perhaps you might consider the idea that, by disagreeing with a particular stance of the school, we do not disagree with every stance it takes. You might also note the date of your story, and consider the timing vis-a-vis the disagreement we have with the new leadership.
        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          For your brother-from-a-different-mother's sake, I hope the Southern Baptists aren't trending in that direction. Isn't Paige Patterson one of the people standing with Norman Geisler on inerrancy?
          Unfortunately OBP it appears that they are
          http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16828466/n...r-over-gender/
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Patterson is under fire from his own side for allowing a Muslim student to study at his seminary (he was apparently working on an archaeology dig in Israel and the program was along those lines). I happen to see no problem with allowing it, it's not like he was being ordained for ministry
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              Unfortunately OBP it appears that they are
              http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16828466/n...r-over-gender/
              This is from 2007. Paige Patterson is involved in both stories. Perhaps it's him, not the denomination in general.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X