Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Indulgences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    You missed the part where I said "people lower on the rung sometimes abused this". A minority of Pardoners started telling people that, instead of simply allieviating temporal punishment in purgatory for sins already forgiven (which is what they actually did) they started telling people tgat indulgences could forgive sins, and even garentee salvation. Although a disgusting display, it's extremely clear that the higher-ups in the church did 'not' condone this, as evidenced by the limits and restrictions later put on the sale of indulgences, in an attempt to solve the problem. However, some people ignored even these restrictions, which eventually lead to the banning of the sales altogether.

What I'm trying to get at is, the Church has never taught that they did any more than what they were supposed to do.
    I didn't miss that part; in fact, it prompted my follow-on question. If the RCC taught people properly what they did, then the system would not have been open for abuse, which appears to answer my follow-on question. I question how clearly the higher-ups did not condone this improper meaning at the time. Later attempts at rehabilitation are good, but do not establish that.

I'd like some support for the assertion that sins which are already forgiven require temporal punishment.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    New thread, so CP's doesn't veer wildly off-topic.
    Thanks, OBP... both for starting a new thread, and for pursuing this topic. I was puzzled by TT's responses.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Can you expound on this defense of indulgences? Can you demonstrate that the people who bought indulgences understood what (in your opinion) they actually do?
    You missed the part where I said "people lower on the rung sometimes abused this". A minority of Pardoners started telling people that, instead of simply allieviating temporal punishment in purgatory for sins already forgiven (which is what they actually did) they started telling people tgat indulgences could forgive sins, and even garentee salvation. Although a disgusting display, it's extremely clear that the higher-ups in the church did 'not' condone this, as evidenced by the limits and restrictions later put on the sale of indulgences, in an attempt to solve the problem. However, some people ignored even these restrictions, which eventually lead to the banning of the sales altogether.

What I'm trying to get at is, the Church has never taught that they did any more than what they were supposed to do.
    Last edited by TimelessTheist; 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    started a topic Indulgences

Indulgences

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    [Martin Luther's] critism of the sale of indulgences was unfounded, as that was a practice that the Church did many times in the past as well, to fund projects such as cathedrals and the Crusades, although I agree that many people loweron the rung did abuse the system, however, if you actually know what an indulgence actually does, the proposition that people can "buy forgiveness" is clearly unfounded.
    Can you expound on this defense of indulgences? Can you demonstrate that the people who bought indulgences understood what (in your opinion) they actually do?
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X