Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes, we will be investing in equipment to keep this up even after the crisis. And we'll even do ONLINE COMMUNION!!!! (I think that's due the 2nd week in April)
    My brother's friend is has a system that does multicasting for churches and other businesses. It's a service where you basically live cast to their server and they multicast it to various platforms, like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. I think they are talking to one of the mega churches in Houston about it. Let me know if you are interested.

How will you do online communion? Do we have to have our own grape juice and crackers :-) ?

As far as online donations, I don't see that as something to be ashamed of. You would be using the money to help others, pay for the equipment, etc. I agree that promoting it during the sermons like a televangelist could give the wrong idea, but you could just put up a little graphic at the end with a web link or something. And I think you can set up donations through PayPal or even on facebook itself and put the link on the church page.

Yes...how will you do communion?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      roguetech is working on an automatic communion dispenser that will use a heat sensor to dispense a wafer and some wine when someone stands in front. I just need to get a squirt gun for the latter and print a sign instructing the person in front of it to open their mouth wide.

Sorry. Kinda in a goofy mood right now.

Okay, okay, "Goofier" mood.

But this actually a question I was wondering how different churches will handle.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We have communion with 3 of us every month. Mr. mossy leads, we break up a cracker and use a single serving grape juice box. Shared between the 3 of us it's lots more than the teeny cups in a church.

If everybody supplies their own juice and crackers I don't see why it would be a problem for a pastor to be leading via livestream

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          My brother's friend is has a system that does multicasting for churches and other businesses. It's a service where you basically live cast to their server and they multicast it to various platforms, like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. I think they are talking to one of the mega churches in Houston about it. Let me know if you are interested.
          I'm looking at vMix - I think it allows me to simultaneously post to Facebook and Youtube. But I have no problem at all doing Facebook live, then saving that file and uploading it to Youtube.

How will you do online communion? Do we have to have our own grape juice and crackers :-) ?
          Affirmative. Or, you can even use wine!

As far as online donations, I don't see that as something to be ashamed of. You would be using the money to help others, pay for the equipment, etc. I agree that promoting it during the sermons like a televangelist could give the wrong idea, but you could just put up a little graphic at the end with a web link or something. And I think you can set up donations through PayPal or even on facebook itself and put the link on the church page.
          Yeah, not ashamed at all, just didn't want it to look like it was our main concern. And I think we DO have paypal account for the Church - those links will be forthcoming.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            We will be sharing the elements live "in house", and asking you to use your own grape juice or whatever you have, and I'll explain that it's the act of obedience and worship that God honors, and I really don't think He will smite us for not using unleavened bread and wine.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              We have communion with 3 of us every month. Mr. mossy leads, we break up a cracker and use a single serving grape juice box. Shared between the 3 of us it's lots more than the teeny cups in a church.

If everybody supplies their own juice and crackers I don't see why it would be a problem for a pastor to be leading via livestream
              Yeah! And I ALWAYS promote Communion the two weeks prior, so it doesn't just "show up on the agenda" on a Sunday Morning. People will have an opportunity to buy their own grape juice if they want to, and even some unleavened bread if they'd like.

Comment

It's only not a problem for Protestants with a low view of communion. It's not helpful for on the order of 3/4 of the world's Christians.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It's only not a problem for Protestants with a low view of communion. It's not helpful for on the order of 3/4 of the world's Christians.
                  Why do you assume that I, as a Protestant, have a low view of communion. I hold it in high honour and I take a bit of offense at your statement.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Why do you assume that I, as a Protestant, have a low view of communion. I hold it in high honour and I take a bit of offense at your statement.
                    As far as I can tell, you have a low view of communion; low church Protestants (of which you are one) tend to view it as either a symbol or an ordinance. You tack it on to your regular worship service on occasion. Compared with viewing it as the very body and blood of Christ, that IS a low view. Communion is the central part of high church worship - not something tacked on ever and anon. If I'm wrong about your view, I apologise.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

...You tack it on to your regular worship service on occasion...
                      I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but when we have communion, it IS the service. I get what you mean when you say "tacked on", because I've been in Churches where it's pretty much after everything else is done, or squeezed in between other stuff, but our entire morning service, including hymns and sermon, are about communion on those Sundays.

Comment

As far as I can tell, you have a low view of communion; low church Protestants (of which you are one) tend to view it as either a symbol or an ordinance. You tack it on to your regular worship service on occasion. Compared with viewing it as the very body and blood of Christ, that IS a low view. Communion is the central part of high church worship - not something tacked on ever and anon. If I'm wrong about your view, I apologise.
                        You are right in the sense that I do not view the elements of communion as the very body and blood of Christ. They are symbols. Nothing is scripture indicates that they are anything other than symbolic. They are a reminder of the crucifixion and what was accomplished for believers at that time, and are not intended to be a continual crucifixion of the Lord.

If you call that a low view, then so be it. But it is preferable to continually crucifying Christ on a daily basis.

And i am not getting any more into my views of Catholicism here., and Orthodoxy by extension. I do believe communion is very important. And I believe that "high" church makes it a ritual that eventually means nothing to the common person.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          We will be sharing the elements live "in house", and asking you to use your own grape juice or whatever you have, and I'll explain that it's the act of obedience and worship that God honors, and I really don't think He will smite us for not using unleavened bread and wine.
                          Hmm. We have always have communion on the first Sunday of each month. We have been, for maybe three or four years now, using the prefilled communion cups with included dry bread (not crackers) or wafers. I was wondering how well that would work with us being locked down. I'll float this idea this by the others.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You are right in the sense that I do not view the elements of communion as the very body and blood of Christ. They are symbols. Nothing is scripture indicates that they are anything other than symbolic.
                            We're going to disagree on that; your view was held only by people who were otherwise obviously heretical prior to the Reformation. You're pretty much regurgitating what you were taught.
                            They are a reminder of the crucifixion and what was accomplished for believers at that time, and are not intended to be a continual crucifixion of the Lord.

If you call that a low view, then so be it. But it is preferable to continually crucifying Christ on a daily basis.

And i am not getting any more into my views of Catholicism here., and Orthodoxy by extension.
                            Respectfully, you are propagating a false view of Catholicism/Orthodoxy promulgated by dissenters. It is incorrect, and I wish Protestants would stop uncritically asserting it.
                            I do believe communion is very important. And I believe that "high" church makes it a ritual that eventually means nothing to the common person.
                            Maybe I'm uncommon (though I don't view myself that way); I hunger for the Eucharist, and if anything that is intensified the more I receive it. There is no tradition in which people are incapable of becoming complacent and just going through the motions; given your dissatisfaction with every (Protestant!) church you've tried in your area, you should know that.

sigpic

Comment

If the Eucharist is supposed to be the entire service, does this mean to the exclusion of all else? Paul did say that hymns and spiritual songs should be sung, after all, and Hebrews was written as a homily presumably to be read at a service, so I would have a hard time believing that nothing else should be done, unless I am misunderstanding your position here.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X