Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Changing the Lord's Prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    πειραζω πειρασμος

Either James is referring to temptations of a particular class and not all classes of temptation, or James' comment (about God neither being tempted nor tempting) conflicts with Matthew's record of the Lord's Prayer. Given that James specifies temptation to do evil as the context for the temptation he refers to, I find no conflict.
    If we continue reading verses 14-15 in James we see the following (not sure if v. 15 will be relevant to the discussion or not, but I included it just in case):

Scripture Verse: James 1:13-14 ESV

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

© Copyright Original Source

Now I could be wrong about this, but I'm thinking Jesus in the Lord's Prayer is teaching us to pray for God to save us from situations where our own desires become to strong for us, and we succumb to sin, while James on the other hand is saying that God isn't the reason we fall into temptation, or feel tempted, but that it's our own desires that are responsible.

So I don't think there's a conflict here, even if we understand both passages to talk about temptation to do evil/sin. One (the LP) is talking about being led into situations where we are tempted (perhaps beyond our capabilities?), while the other (James) is talking about the reason why we feel tempted in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      If we continue reading verses 14-15 in James we see the following (not sure if v. 15 will be relevant to the discussion or not, but I included it just in case):

Scripture Verse: James 1:13-14 ESV

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

© Copyright Original Source

Now I could be wrong about this, but I'm thinking Jesus in the Lord's Prayer is teaching us to pray for God to save us from situations where our own desires become to strong for us, and we succumb to sin, while James on the other hand is saying that God isn't the reason we fall into temptation, or feel tempted, but that it's our own desires that are responsible.

So I don't think there's a conflict here, even if we understand both passages to talk about temptation to do evil/sin. One (the LP) is talking about being led into situations where we are tempted (perhaps beyond our capabilities?), while the other (James) is talking about the reason why we feel tempted in the first place.
      Originally posted by tabibito
      πειραζω πειρασμος

Either James is referring to temptations of a particular class and not all classes of temptation, or James' comment (about God neither being tempted nor tempting) conflicts with Matthew's record of the Lord's Prayer. Given that James specifies temptation to do evil as the context for the temptation he refers to, I find no conflict.
      And yes - James is saying, "Don't blame God when you're tempted to do evil, you're the one at fault." The Koine Greek words for temptation and tempt cover a wider range than does temptation in English - and a close attention to context is needed to determine whether "temptation" or "trial/test" is the appropriate rendering. James is not saying that God doesn't put people to the test.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Ah - I kind of missed the point there. So ...

The problem arises with the whole "Lead us not into temptation" bit, by contrast with "Let us not be led into temptation."
        εισενεγκης is (aorist active subjunctive)

μη εισενεγκης ημας εις πειρασμον (Luke)
        μη εισενεγκης ημας εις πειρασμον (Matthew)

πειρασμος has two distinct meanings: citing BDAG
        an attempt to learn the nature or character of someth., test, trial (Sir 6:7; 27:5, 7)
        πρὸς πειρασμόν to test you 1 Pt 4:12.
        διὰ πειρασμόν τινα because you are being tried in some way Hm 9:7. Perh. Js 1:2 and 1 Pt 1:6 belong here
        (cp. Pind., O. 4, 22 διά πειρά τοι βροτῶν ἔλεγχο=trial is the test of mortals; sim. N. 3, 70f).
        Here also belongs the testing (s. πειράζω 2c) of God by humans (cp. Dt 6:16; 9:22)
        Hb 3:8 where vs. 9 shows that it is God who is being tested, and not the Israelites (Ps 94:8f).
        an attempt to make one do someth. wrong, temptation, enticement to sin.

Commentaries (that I have seen) have focussed on either the fact that "lead" is active, which means that God does it

or
        to a much lesser extent, the very different subdefinitions as putting to the trial, and enticement.

However ... checking the passage itself, rather than relying on third party information ... WHOA

πειρασμον is NOT dative, it's accusative. No doubt there will be argument to the effect that
        the presence of an accusative preposition makes a difference, so I'll have to do some checking,
        but right now it seems that "us in temptation" might just be a single direct object.

So, two problems to resolve ... subjunctive (not imperative), connected accusative

BBL
        Last edited by tabibito; 06-16-2019, 03:18 PM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Agreed, God does not tempt anyone, but he did lead Jesus into temptation.

Well, what about David?

"Now again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and it incited David against them to say, 'Go, number Israel and Judah.' " (2 Sa 24:1)

Though Satan was the direct instrument of temptation (see 1 Chr. 21:1), the Lord did lead David into temptation.

Blessings,
          Lee
          No. The holy spirit led him into the desert.

How was what David did, temptation?

Comment

There is an interesting collection of words used to translate "πειραζω." BDAG provides a list of verses, partial herewith, that need to be taken into consideration.
            Mt 16:1; 19:3; 22:18, 35; Mk 8:11; 10:2; 12:15; Lk 11:16; 20:23 v.l.; J 8:6.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              No. The holy spirit led him into the desert.
              But the Holy Spirit is God.

How was what David did, temptation?
              He was tempted by the devil (1 Chr. 21:1) to number Israel, at the incitement of the (anger of the) Lord (2 Sam. 24:1)

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

But the Holy Spirit is God.
                But he didn't lead him into temptation. He led him into the desert.

He was tempted by the devil (1 Chr. 21:1) to number Israel, at the incitement of the (anger of the) Lord (2 Sam. 24:1)

Blessings,
                Lee
                it said "incited" not "tempted"

Comment

Yup....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Jesus was led by the Spirit "into the wilderness", not "into temptation" --- to be tempted by the Devil. So, only kinda sorta.
                  Just like God had to ALLOW the Devil to mess with Job...
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"To be tempted" was the reason he was led into the desert, though.

it said "incited" not "tempted"
                    Yes, well, the idea of tempting by the devil is there in the word "moved": "Then Satan stood up against Israel and moved David to number Israel." (1 Chr. 21:1)

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Just like God had to ALLOW the Devil to mess with Job...
                      And God was behind it all, "have you considered my servant Job?" (Job 1:8), knowing that the devil would then test Job.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

And God was behind it all, "have you considered my servant Job?" (Job 1:8), knowing that the devil would then test Job.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Sure, but within the limits that God set.... 12 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” And it was Satan who did the tempting/testing, not God.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sure, but within the limits that God set.... 12 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” And it was Satan who did the tempting/testing, not God.
                          Yes, agreed, yet Job was led by God (ultimately), into temptation / testing. What we would pray for then is to seek and find God, to be refined in his presence, and not through trial and temptation.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

"To be tempted" was the reason he was led into the desert, though.
                            If I drive you to the bank and you get mugged while you were there did I mug you? The devil did the tempting not the holy spirit.

Yes, well, the idea of tempting by the devil is there in the word "moved": "Then Satan stood up against Israel and moved David to number Israel." (1 Chr. 21:1)

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            uh, no. it said "incited" him. "moved" doesn't mean "tempted" it means that he was "incited"

Comment

Yes, agreed, yet Job was led by God (ultimately),
                              Nothing happens that God does not allow.

into temptation / testing.
                              From God's perspective, I think it was more like "proving".

What we would pray for then is to seek and find God,
                              Found Him!

to be refined in his presence,
                              It's a process.

and not through trial and temptation.
                              Which is why I think we should pray the only thing we were actually commanded to pray --- to ask for Wisdom.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              You ARE a blessing, Lee.

Comment

If I drive you to the bank and you get mugged while you were there did I mug you?
                                If you knew I would be mugged if you drove me to the bank, you could say that you led me into being mugged.

The devil did the tempting not the holy spirit.
                                Yes, agreed.

uh, no. it said "incited" him. "moved" doesn't mean "tempted" it means that he was "incited"
                                "Moved" would involve some drawing, though, would it not? And thus some temptation.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X