Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we supposed to imagine that the angels and saints in heaven only hear by mechanical sound vibrations and physical ears?
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I guess you could always play on the word 'fully'. Maria doesn't need exhaustive knowledge, in principle she just needs your prayer intentions. Since you're quite capable of delivering those verbally, then even by your own standards Maria doesn't need knowledge that goes beyond verbal communication.
      Prayer intentions would necessitate fully knowing the heart.
      Not all prayers are give verbally thus your point collapses.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Are we supposed to imagine that the angels and saints in heaven only hear by mechanical sound vibrations and physical ears?
        Not sure but they do not fully know the hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          You still ignore my questions, and get mad for not answering every little bit from you.
          In Post 58 I answered your questions.

This is what you asked in Post 57:
          Why is it important for the prayers to be silent?

Do you consider spoken prayers to be a problem as well?

And knowing the prayers of people is equivalent with knowing the content of their hearts?

Here is my post 58
          The conversation is rapidly ceasing because you refuse to see how words are PROPERLY defined - why would you "ignore" about God being the heart-knower?
          ANSWER TO YOUR FIRST AND SECOND QUESTIONS:Silent prayers prove that when the word "prayed" is used in reference to people addressing other people it is not in the same sense as when it is used of people addressing God. Notice further that when it is used of people addressing other people it is not multiple people with various needs all addressing the person at the same time and having that person fully understand every thing that was being said.

ANSWER TO QUESTION NUMBER 3: Fully knowing the prayers of people is equivalent to fully knowing the contents of their hearts.
          Last edited by foudroyant; 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Foud: is there any reason to believe that heart-knowing is not synecdotal with respect to omniscience?
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

What does synecdotal mean?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synecdotal?s=t

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                Not sure but they do not fully know the hearts.
                Do you think that the Catholic church teaches that any of the angels or saints are Omniscient or fully know the hearts of all people everywhere?

Comment

I don't know if they teach if others fully know the hearts of all people - in practice they do. This is why I wrote in the OP:
                  So by praying to Mary Roman Catholics (whether they realize it or not) are ascribing knowledge to her that is reserved for God alone.

In Post 20 Spartacus affirms that others knowing the hearts is possible.

Comment

Adjective form of synecdoche.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      Adjective form of synecdoche.
                      I have never seen kardiognwsta defined as such.

Comment

I have never seen kardiognwsta defined as such.
                        There is more to omniscience than knowing the heart, correct? But in the Bible, knowledge of the heart is used to mean omniscience, or something like it. One part of omniscience (knowing the heart) is used to communicate the whole of omniscience. That's synecdoche.

Comment

If one knows the totality of all hearts of all people that is stating they are omniscient.

Comment

If one knows the totality of all hearts of all people that is stating they are omniscient.
                            Is it possible that God could tell a person about the totality of every heart at any given moment without making that person completely omniscient? Is is possible to know the totality of every heart without at the same time knowing how many stars are in the sky?

Comment

No to both questions.
                              That would mean that God created another one who is omniscient (God).

The same would apply to God being omnipotent. God created all people. God also created the stars.

Comment

I don't know if they teach if others fully know the hearts of all people - in practice they do. This is why I wrote in the OP:
                                So by praying to Mary Roman Catholics (whether they realize it or not) are ascribing knowledge to her that is reserved for God alone.

In Post 20 Spartacus affirms that others knowing the hearts is possible.
                                Please let me know if you (or anyone else here) find out. It would be good to know. I am not sure of Catholic teaching on this precise point, but nothing comes to mind.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X