Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When prayer is to anyone and/or anything else besides God in the Bible it is wrong 100% of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      When prayer is to anyone and/or anything else besides God in the Bible it is wrong 100% of the time.
      That doesn't answer my question. Why do I need a Bible passage to justify making an obvious distinction?
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• ok if you don't want to go by what God always condemned then don't. Your choice but you have zero biblical justification for it.

Comment

ok if you don't want to go by what God always condemned then don't. Your choice but you have zero biblical justification for it.
          God has never explicitly condemned anything that closely resembles Catholic theology on this issue, and the only reason you haven't produced a specific Bible passage doing so is because you can't.

Comment

• Do I really have to cite every single prayer in the Bible? Just pick one and that is worship.
            God condemns praying to any other besides Him. Prayer is worship. I pointed this out in the OP with passages from the Bible.

Furthermore, you attribute omniscience to Mary because you believe she is able to hear your prayers to her along with myriads of other people at the same time with various requests and this can be done silently. Thus she knows your hearts in equality with God. That is blasphemous.

Comment

Do I really have to cite every single prayer in the Bible? Just pick one and that is worship.
              God condemns praying to any other besides Him. Prayer is worship. I pointed this out in the OP with passages from the Bible.
              That there are no biblical passages in which prayer and worship are not separated does not mean that this distinction is either unorthodox or impossible. There is, as I just said, nothing in the Bible that is directly comparable to Catholic veneration of the saints.

Furthermore, you attribute omniscience to Mary because you believe she is able to hear your prayers to her along with myriads of other people at the same time with various requests and this can be done silently. Thus she knows your hearts in equality with God. That is blasphemous.
              We can get to that later.

Comment

• You make the distinction between prayer and worship. The Bible doesn't.

I'll stick with the 100% of the time this is true while RC's can have the 0%.

Comment

You make the distinction between prayer and worship. The Bible doesn't.
                  Why should that matter? The distinction has been evident to everyone else in the thread but you. It's a distinction any uninhibited rational mind can make.

Comment

• It matters because the Bible is true.

Comment

It matters because the Bible is true.
                      That doesn't mean that everything true is made clear in the Bible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        That doesn't mean that everything true is made clear in the Bible.
                        Sure it does. That's why Protestants, who rely only on the Bible, all believe the same thing.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Praying to any other but God is abundantly clear.

The Lord Jesus stated that God is to be served (λατρεύσεις) only (Luke 4:8).

The Bible teaches that all prayer is latreuo.

Comment

Praying to any other but God is abundantly clear.

The Lord Jesus stated that God is to be served (λατρεύσεις) only (Luke 4:8).

The Bible teaches that all prayer is latreuo.
                            The Bible teaches that all latria is latria. It doesn't say that all dulia is latria, or that the english word "prayer" cannot be used to refer to both latria and dulia.

Comment

• The Bible speaks nothing of your dulia prayer myth.

Comment

The Bible speaks nothing of your dulia prayer myth.
                                Then you agree with my posts #319 and #321. The Bible cannot condemn something on which it is silent.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X