Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    No, because you can't cite one passage from the Bible that supports this.
    What about logical scrutiny? Does it seem to make sense internally?
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Still more examples where the Bible teaches that prayer is due unto God alone and that prayer is worship.

God is only to be prayed to because He alone is absolutely holy (Matthew 6:9). In the same way God is only to be worshiped because He alone is absolutely holy (Revelation 15:4).

By praying to/worshiping Mary Roman Catholics (whether they realize it or not) are putting Mary on the same realm of absolute holiness as God. Indeed, the Matthew text speaks in the context of prayer as God knowing what is done in "secret" (6:6) and knowing what is needed by those who pray beforehand (6:8). Both of these passages teach the omniscience of God. By insisting Mary can be prayed to/worshiped the RCC and others have attributed both absolute holiness and omniscience to her which are attributes God alone possesses.
      This is blasphemy.
      Last edited by foudroyant; 08-04-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        What about logical scrutiny? Does it seem to make sense internally?
        Not if Scripture already warns against it.

Comment

Not if Scripture already warns against it.
          It doesn't explicitly warn against it. It can't both be silent about something and warn against it. Get your story straight.

In any case, nice to know that the 3 days I spent thinking about how to explain the underlying theology to you were well spent. For all I can tell, you didn't even read my post.

Comment

• See Post #467.

I read your stupid post. Just more of your own wishful thinking with no passages from the Bible that agree with you.

Comment

Everywhere.
              Then it should be easy for you to provide a citation which equates prayer and worship.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, because you can't cite one passage from the Bible that supports this.
                Let me know where the Bible states it is the complete revelation of God and the sole source of what is permissible.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Post #467

Comment

• Originally posted by Foudroyant
                    the Matthew text speaks in the context of prayer as God knowing what is done in "secret"
                    1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all;
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

See Post #467.

I read your stupid post. Just more of your own wishful thinking with no passages that agree with you.
                      Anything on the part of the saints that looks like omniscience comes about only by participation in God's omniscience. What knowledge they have is given to them by God. What is idolatrous about that? Nothing. Moreover, it is entirely consistent with the idea of theosis as articulated by so many early Christians, but notably summarized by St. Athanasius (the greatest and most famous defender of the Nicene Creed) as "God became man so that man might become God."

And then there's Luke 10:16. "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." If we know that the saints have continued to intercede on our behalf-- and people have had visions to that effect-- then refusing to acknowledge the accompanying miracles is to reject the clear workings of God's grace. Furthermore, to say that such miracles must be demonic in nature is to fall into the same trap as the Pharisees in Matthew 12. To refuse to acknowledge the workings of grace through God's chosen saints is to refuse to give God due praise for His mighty deeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all;

Your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          Anything on the part of the saints that looks like omniscience comes about only by participation in God's omniscience. What knowledge they have is given to them by God. What is idolatrous about that? Nothing. Moreover, it is entirely consistent with the idea of theosis as articulated by so many early Christians, but notably summarized by St. Athanasius (the greatest and most famous defender of the Nicene Creed) as "God became man so that man might become God."

And then there's Luke 10:16. "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." If we know that the saints have continued to intercede on our behalf-- and people have had visions to that effect-- then refusing to acknowledge the accompanying miracles is to reject the clear workings of God's grace. Furthermore, to say that such miracles must be demonic in nature is to fall into the same trap as the Pharisees in Matthew 12. To refuse to acknowledge the workings of grace through God's chosen saints is to refuse to give God due praise for His mighty deeds.

The passages I supplied were all ignored.
                          God is prayed to/worshiped because of His absolute holiness.

Comment

The passages I supplied were all ignored.
                            God is prayed to/worshiped because of His absolute holiness.
                            A holiness which is occasionally shown through His Saints. Do you deny this?

Comment

• Their holiness is never in the absolute whereby prayer/worship can be rendered unto them (Matthew 6:6, 8, 9; Revelation 15:4).

Comment

Their holiness is never in the absolute whereby prayer/worship can be rendered unto them (Matthew 6:6, 8, 9; Revelation 15:4).
                                Correct. Not worship. Just reverence.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X