Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    First, because before this time I asked you a question and you wouldn't answer it. Second, I already told you to start a thread elsewhere concerning Modalism because the topic under discussion is whether the Lord Jesus is the recipient of prayer in the writings of Paul.
    Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Foudroyant and Apostoli, we are discussing among staff right now where the appropriate area for this particular discussion should be, but it needs to be addressed, Foudroyant. Your answers will determine which areas you are allowed to post in and which you aren't.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    You missed my point entirely. To use psalms of praise of God to make polemical doctrinal points against religious enemies sort of misses the real meaning of worship.
    No, Psalm 139 has plenty of doctrinal points.
    Maccabees isn't Scripture.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    First you have to ignore the point that this is about circumstances when people don't know how to pray.

Interesting to see that you are better at prayer than Paul.
    "For WE (Paul includes himself) do not know how to pray as we should" (Romans 8:26, NASB, emphasis mine)

First the denial of how words are defined and now the claim to be better at prayer than Paul.

Your arrogance stubbornly marches on.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by apostoli View Post
    If I am seriously demented, why is it that you are unable to affirm the most basic of Christian belief????
    First, because before this time I asked you a question and you wouldn't answer it. Second, I already told you to start a thread elsewhere concerning Modalism because the topic under discussion is whether the Lord Jesus is the recipient of prayer in the writings of Paul.

Leave a comment:

• apostoli
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant
    apostoli is seriously demented.
    See Post #49
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...rd-Jesus/page5

Nuff said about that
    To this quack
    If I am seriously demented, why is it that you are unable to affirm the most basic of Christian belief????

Here is what I originally asked you, at least thirty times. Not once have you had the confidence of conviction to directly answer me at least once (though you did provide a diversion to each post).

Questions arise regarding your opinion: Do you ascribe to the Nicene Creed or reject it? Do you believe that before his incarnation the Son was begotten by his Father, not made, God from God? Do you believe that the Son is a distinct entity/individual from his Father? Do you believe the scripture's account that the Son was incarnated not of his own volition but was sent by his Father? Do you believe that in the end of times the Son will share his Father's throne, at the will of the Father? Do you believe, as A.Paul certainly did, that God (the Father) raised Jesus from the dead? Do you believe, as the apostles John & Paul certainly did, that all Jesus did was for the glorification of his Father (cp. Jn 17, Phil 2)

So far, foudroyant, in his general cowardice, has not affirmed or denied any of the above propositions. Even though they are all Biblically substantiated!!!

I've simply concluded he has had a puff too much on the weed...and has attached himself to what I call the "christian taliban in the USA" (those, who for no rational reason, hate Jews, Catholics & Blacks and reject most Christian belief).

On another thread, it came plainly obvious to me that foudroyant does not subscribe to any form of Orthodox or Protestant mainstream Christianity (I assume he is a Sabellian (oneness pentecostal)...

Elsewhere, I presented him with a few standard Christian propositions. He, over a lengthy period of time, and multiple repetitions on my part, resorted to a range of diversions and never responded to my direct queries. I'll summarise what I have had to conclude are his denials of standard/orthodox/mainstream Christian faith:

1. foudroyant apparently rejects the teaching of the Nicene Creed, even though it has been reaffirmed continuously by the majority churches since at least 325CE.

2. foudroyant apparently rejects that Jesus was begotten of the Father, not made, God from God.

3. foudroyant apparently rejects that the Son is a distinct entity/individual/person from his Father. ( foudroyant apparently assumes, despite the testimony of scripture, that the Father and Son are simply fabrications of the same person).

4. foudroyant apparently believes the Son was incarnated as a phantasm, not a real person, who obviously, as being such, could not die on the cross.

5. foudroyant apparently believes the Father and the Son are simply manifestations of the same person. If so, then, obviously, foudroyant rejects the witness of the NT, and most particularly rejects A.John's testimony in the book of Revelation. Which is most strange! Given A.John, in his vision. has it that, in the end of times, the Son shares his Father's throne.

6. foudroyant apparently rejects A.Paul's testimony that God (the Father) raised Jesus from the dead! ((Acts 2:24, 32; 3:15, 26; 4:10; 5:30; 10:40; 13:30, 33, 34, 37; Rom. 4:24; 6:4; 10:9; 1 Cor. 6:14; Gal. 1:1; Col. 2:12; Rom 8:11).

7. foudroyant apparently rejects A.John's & A.Paul's inspired testimony, that all Jesus did, including his death and resurrection, was for the glorification of his Father (cp. Jn 17, Phil 2)

foudroyant, you can run but you cannot hide. There are many people here that have known me for years, and though some may not agree with my every premise I am confident I would garner more support than what I assume is your oneness pentecostal (or personal) trash...
    Last edited by apostoli; 08-18-2014, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    To thee all flesh shall come. This refers to worship. People go to God in prayer which is worship.
    All the rest of creation of impersonal things anthropomorphically gives praise to God so your point misses what the text is saying.
    God can hear all prayers - even silent ones - by myriads of people with a vast array of requests, for any length of time at any period of time and fully understand them.

Can anyone else do the same?
    Nope.

You didn't address Romans 8:26-27.
    Post #797
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page80
    You missed my point entirely. To use psalms of praise of God to make polemical doctrinal points against religious enemies sort of misses the real meaning of worship. If you want to understand this psalm in its original context, respond to my point about the Masoretic vocalization. Otherwise, it seems once again as if you are not interested in a real conversation. Most of the Hebrew scriptures were written during a time when there was no clear belief in the afterlife and resurrection of the dead, and certainly no sense of the Body of Christ being charged with intercession for one another. As these beliefs evolved, you find prayer for the dead in later scriptures, such as Maccabees and you find, even among Jews who did not believe in the resurrection of the dead, a more widespread sense of our worshipping God in the presence of angelic or heavenly worship. You also find this in the earliest liturgy of the Church, the divine liturgy of St James, and elsewhere in the New Testament one finds angels being involved in the presentation of our prayers to God. You refuse to consider the biblical accounts of discourse with and mediation of angels and consider the authors of the earliest liturgy of the Church to be 'moronic idiots'. I don't think there is much room for discussion with you on account of your attitude.

I have no dispute with Paul's letter to the Romans. It certainly does not forbid what James commands, ie, intercession for one another. All creation groans for the revelation of the sons of God. All of God's creation is directed toward the worship of God, including all the angels and saints.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    How does it contradict it?
    You have to mis-read it before it is possible to claim that the contradiction exists.
    What it says is: God is the searcher of hearts, and the Holy Spirit makes intercession when we don't know what our prayer should be. God knows what the Holy Spirit has in mind, and has appointed the Holy Spirit to the fulfil the office of intercession.

First you have to ignore the point that this is about circumstances when people don't know how to pray.
    Next you have to ignore the point that the Holy Spirit is not the only intercessor.
    So you can then say, the only intercessor appointed by God in all circumstances is the Holy Spirit.
    It's much the same process as is used by the sola fide crowd to demonstrate that people are saved by faith alone.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    See Post #797.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 08-18-2014, 04:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    Romans 8:27 contradicts praying to Mary...the subject of this thread.
    How does it contradict it?

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant
    neither is your opinion that you are so fond of.

You are ducking from Romans 8:27.
    Romans 8:26 we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

The Holy Spirit makes intercession for us. Is he the only one? I thought Jesus also makes intercession for us.
    "He who searches the hearts" is God, who knows what the mind of the Holy Spirit is (I didn't capitalise "Spirit" - the translators did). And the Holy Spirit makes intercession.

My opinions are not second hand - and I am not one who says "The Bible says this, but it really means ...". If people have a problem with my opinions, I am happy to re-examine them when presented with new information that calls those opinions into question. You, however, don't have the capacity to either present new information or critically examine your opinions and change them as warranted. And often enough, I have admitted when my opinions have been deficient or wrong. You don't have the capacity to demonstrate that your second hand opinions have any substance. Nor have your second hand opinions been put to the test in the field.
    Last edited by tabibito; 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Neither are the commentaries that you are so fond of.
    neither is your opinion that you are so fond of.

You are ducking from Romans 8:27.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    You still haven't explained how Maccabees contradicts that passage.
    Romans 8:27 contradicts praying to Mary...the subject of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    whatever...it's not inspired by God anyway.
    Neither are the commentaries that you are so fond of.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    im busy right now doing something
    ok they were praying for the dead. whatever...it's not inspired by God anyway.

Still waiting for a real response concerning Romans 8:27.
    You still haven't explained how Maccabees contradicts that passage.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    im busy right now doing something
    ok they were praying for the dead. whatever...it's not inspired by God anyway.

Still waiting for a real response concerning Romans 8:27.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X