Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bring a gun to church: the kiss of peace or politics as usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring a gun to church: the kiss of peace or politics as usual?

"... the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

- Anyone notice the irony here?

I used to get the impression around here that some people at the old TWeb hated liberal Christians even more than atheists, presumably as closet apostates.

It's become a truism that liberals and conservatives across denominational lines now tend to agree with each other much more and differ from the other much more, eg, conservative Catholics and conservative Baptists agreeing with each other against liberal Catholics and liberal Baptists. The differences outlined by denominational doctrinal and ecclesiological positions seem to have been relativised with more importance being attributed to the political sphere. Some of this, I suppose, has to do with the rise of the moral majority and Christian right political activism. Some conservative denominations that used to eschew political involvement have actively embraced politics, and in my view sometimes foolishly, being manipulated by political strategists like Karl Rove. Whereas the liberal interest groups tend to embrace a secular ideology and therefore do not tend to appeal to religious beliefs and sentiments and sometimes even actively denigrate them.

Regarding politics, where one might expect, or at least hope for, genuine dialogue within the church among fellow believers, we do not find this. Similarly, those religious voices on the right and the left that critique government and politics from a higher religious perspective are no longer heard.

Anyway, just my daily musings about the importance of the unity of the body of Christ and fraternal love and respect.

Oh, by the way, here's the source of the quote at the beginning of the post.

Catholic Group Leader Calls for Liberal Academics To Be 'Taken Out and Shot'
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-22-2014, 09:15 AM.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

wow
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

His assessment is lacking in Christian justice. They should be tried first, then shot.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Hi, Darth. I notice you have a new Hitler avatar. Peace be with you.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Hi, Darth. I notice you have a new Hitler avatar. Peace be with you.
          It's not new, it's the only avatar I've had on the new Tweb.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            It's not new, it's the only avatar I've had on the new Tweb.
            Guess I'm just noticing it now, but since it's still called the new TWeb, I think it still qualifies as a new avatar, for me anyway, who is apparently not so observant. So what is it about Hitler that you are intending to project here? I do recall a 'humorous' post of yours about Hitler that was deleted from the Jewish forum, but have not seen your views about this explained further.

Comment

Guess I'm just noticing it now, but since it's still called the new TWeb, I think it still qualifies as a new avatar, for me anyway, who is apparently not so observant. So what is it about Hitler that you are intending to project here? I do recall a 'humorous' post of yours about Hitler that was deleted from the Jewish forum, but have not seen your views about this explained further.
              Well, to make a long story short, I've concluded that the main reason why Hitler is popularly viewed as the worst monster in history (even though he wasn't, that title probably belongs to Genghis Khan) is because he symbolizes what the progressive hegemony 's fear of death, and I largely suspect that in most people this fear is instinctual rather than the result of philosophical reflection. Even better, since even the most staunch conservative these days has a heavy dose of progressive in him, the effect is near universal. "Hitler" steps into the room and an aura of fear strikes at the subconscious of anyone present. Hitler thus serves multiple purposes: he is a fantastic troll tool because his mere presence demands a reaction, even if one is not vocalized, I can gather data from the reactions he gets (even observing its existence says something about your personality) and he also serves as a personal barometer in regards to how well I have managed to purge every cube nano-meter of progressive out of my bloodstream (I am proud to report that these days being exposed to Hitler largely induces mirth and little else).

Comment

Well, to make a long story short, I've concluded that the main reason why Hitler is popularly viewed as the worst monster in history (even though he wasn't, that title probably belongs to Genghis Khan) is because he symbolizes what the progressive hegemony 's fear of death, and I largely suspect that in most people this fear is instinctual rather than the result of philosophical reflection. Even better, since even the most staunch conservative these days has a heavy dose of progressive in him, the effect is near universal. "Hitler" steps into the room and an aura of fear strikes at the subconscious of anyone present. Hitler thus serves multiple purposes: he is a fantastic troll tool because his mere presence demands a reaction, even if one is not vocalized, I can gather data from the reactions he gets (even observing its existence says something about your personality) and he also serves as a personal barometer in regards to how well I have managed to purge every cube nano-meter of progressive out of my bloodstream (I am proud to report that these days being exposed to Hitler largely induces mirth and little else).
                Not sure I understand: "he symbolizes what the progressive hegemony 's fear of death"
                - Are you saying that progressives are afraid of death and therefore view Hitler as the worst monster in history because he is a symbol of death? Not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand your point.

Also, the fact that I noticed your 'new' avatar says something about my personality? If that's what you meant, what does it supposedly say about my personality?

Comment

Ironically, Hitler was in many ways a progressive - which is doubtless why he evokes such a visceral reaction from them.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Ironically, Hitler was in many ways a progressive - which is doubtless why he evokes such a visceral reaction from them.
                    Do you think that only progressives have a visceral reaction to Hitler? Conservatives not so much?

Comment

Do you think that only progressives have a visceral reaction to Hitler? Conservatives not so much?
                      No, I don't think that.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, I don't think that.
                        Do you think that conservatives and progressives have a different kind or degree of reaction to Hitler for various different reasons perhaps. I'm still trying to figure out what you're saying.

Comment

Do you think that conservatives and progressives have a different kind or degree of reaction to Hitler for various different reasons perhaps. I'm still trying to figure out what you're saying.
                          Well, progressives have been painting Hitler as hard right for so long that there's some counter-reaction to that as well. Off the top of my head, Hitler was a vegetarian, advocated organic food, and was anti-smoking, and those positions tend rather more towards progressivism than elsewhere.

sigpic

Comment

Well, progressives have been painting Hitler as hard right for so long that there's some counter-reaction to that as well. Off the top of my head, Hitler was a vegetarian, advocated organic food, and was anti-smoking, and those positions tend rather more towards progressivism than elsewhere.
                            Don't forget, he was also an artist. I'm no expert, and could be wrong, but I think one can pretty easily find progressive and conservative elements in his personality, political platforms and execution thereof. But getting back to your view, is it because progressives supposedly know at some level that Hitler was also a progressive, they have to demonize him as a conservative, and (therefore) have a more visceral reaction to him?

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious "progressive" link: Hitler's views on eugenics were more extreme than anything hitherto seen, but were certainly based on views in vogue in some progressive circles early in the 20th century. Trying to place him on an (especially American) political spectrum seems rather like a waste of time though.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X