Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bring a gun to church: the kiss of peace or politics as usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they already shot them all, or deported them to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      And my avatar is an affectionate tribute to Darth, in case you hadn't noticed.
      It's wasted on me, I don't do pokemon.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The quote in the OP struck me as mere hyperbole.

The commentators in the video also seemed to take it that way, because their comments were about the substance of the liberal programs in question, rather than about how outrageous it was that a Catholic would suggest shooting liberals.

Or did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Alright, I'll try to simplify it further: He was the charismatic leader of the most successful progressive extermination machine in history (and arguably the best dressed).
          OK, I think I've got it now. He is lethal to progressives because he makes progressivism look bad in the eyes of those who think Hitler was a progressive in the same or similar sense that progressives are now progressive. Is that it?

It's supposed to exemplify why NAZIs are lethal to progressives (and thus why progressives fear them instinctively). Conservatives aren't a threat. NAZIs are because their traditional tactics don't work even if the NAZI isn't aware of what the progressive is trying to do.
          Now this seems to be a different idea. Here it sounds like progressives playing the race card will not work against NAZIs because the NAZIs are racist (too). Is that right?

Only one arguable conservative has commented on it (also inquisitively) and she has no impulse control whatsoever. The commentary has flown decisively from one side of the political spectrum.
          So, if I understand you correctly, progressives tend to comment on your avatar because they fear NAZIism, which makes progressivism look bad, and because their own (racist) tactics are ineffective against NAZIs.

And true conservatives have a lesser (or no) fear of Hitler (as a symbol of the end of the death of their hegemony) and thus do not comment much on your use of Hitler as your avatar.

Anything I'm still missing?
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
            The quote in the OP struck me as mere hyperbole.

The commentators in the video also seemed to take it that way, because their comments were about the substance of the liberal programs in question, rather than about how outrageous it was that a Catholic would suggest shooting liberals.

Or did I miss something?
            I didn't watch the video but I'm sure you're right. I'm sure the guy was using hyperbole and does not seriously think that liberal academics should literally be shot. But this particular news report or column was playing up the fact in the headline that the head of a religious group, a Catholic even, would use such language.

Comment

Oh. I'll have to ask my kids if they remember this Pokémon character, Dark Exeggutor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                What a great underail!
                Thanks, I'm working on it after shooting myself in the foot by trying to be extra nice by taking an interest in Dark Exeggutor's new avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  Oh. I'll have to ask my kids if they remember this Pokémon character, Dark Exeggutor.
                  Exeggutor is one of the more peculiar/absurd pokemon to begin with, and "darth executor" sounds like "dark exeggutor." I really don't want to have to explain this much more than I already have...
                  Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Thanks, I'm working on it after shooting myself in the foot by trying to be extra nice by taking an interest in Dark Exeggutor's new avatar.
                    I know how that goes.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I don't know. but probably not many if any liberals in it. The church is southern baptist and in a military town next to an army base. Half of the members are soldiers and their families.
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I think they already shot them all, or deported them to Canada.
                      Who shot them all, your congregants or Cow Poke's? Or someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Exeggutor is one of the more peculiar/absurd pokemon to begin with, and "darth executor" sounds like "dark exeggutor." I really don't want to have to explain this much more than I already have...
                        No worries, I wasn't asking for more explanation, just wanted to test the degree of my kids' past involvement in Pokemon.

Comment

No worries, I wasn't asking for more explanation, just wanted to test the degree of my kids' past involvement in Pokemon.
                          97.4%* of all young men who have done heinous things in the past 15 years have played with Pokemon stuff.

*this statistic may be slightly exaggerated, but was cited by Benjamin Franklin.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, I think I've got it now. He is lethal to progressives because he makes progressivism look bad in the eyes of those who think Hitler was a progressive in the same or similar sense that progressives are now progressive. Is that it?
                            Are you pulling my leg? He is literally lethal to progressives. As in he'll kill nearly any progressive he can get his hands on. He can also kill them even if he doesn't know whether they're progressives or not due to his discriminatory policies (gays and minorities tend to be more progressive than heterosexual white people). I think you're getting my ideas and OBP's mixed up. I don't agree with his assessment that progressives fear Hitler because of similarities between them (and there are some).

Now this seems to be a different idea. Here it sounds like progressives playing the race card will not work against NAZIs because the NAZIs are racist (too). Is that right?
                            Not exactly. It won't work because the terms of the fight change. Calling people racist works when you can control the terms of the engagement. This control is fragile, because it rests on a "gentlemen's agreement" not to do certain things (some of which progressives ignore them anyway). IE: we agree not to physically fight but rather obtain support for our positions by non-violently persuading others. NAZIs ignore the agreement, even more than liberals do, and once in power there's no chance for liberals to manipulate it out of their grasp because the NAZIs will physically kill them.

So, if I understand you correctly, progressives tend to comment on your avatar because they fear NAZIism, which makes progressivism look bad, and because their own (racist) tactics are ineffective against NAZIs.
                            No, progressives tend to comment on my avatar because if a man like him ever gains power over them they instinctively know they're bound for plasma ovens and mass graves.

And true conservatives have a lesser (or no) fear of Hitler (as a symbol of the end of the death of their hegemony) and thus do not comment much on your use of Hitler as your avatar.
                            Indeed. Hitler has no reason to kill conservatives unless they interfere with his rule. Some may have a rational basis for fear, but there's no need for an instinctive fear of him.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Are you pulling my leg? He is literally lethal to progressives. As in he'll kill nearly any progressive he can get his hands on. He can also kill them even if he doesn't know whether they're progressives or not due to his discriminatory policies (gays and minorities tend to be more progressive than heterosexual white people). I think you're getting my ideas and OBP's mixed up. I don't agree with his assessment that progressives fear Hitler because of similarities between them (and there are some).

Not exactly. It won't work because the terms of the fight change. Calling people racist works when you can control the terms of the engagement. This control is fragile, because it rests on a "gentlemen's agreement" not to do certain things (some of which progressives ignore them anyway). IE: we agree not to physically fight but rather obtain support for our positions by non-violently persuading others. NAZIs ignore the agreement, even more than liberals do, and once in power there's no chance for liberals to manipulate it out of their grasp because the NAZIs will physically kill them.

No, progressives tend to comment on my avatar because if a man like him ever gains power over them they instinctively know they're bound for plasma ovens and mass graves.

Indeed. Hitler has no reason to kill conservatives unless they interfere with his rule. Some may have a rational basis for fear, but there's no need for an instinctive fear of him.
                              Yes, while struggling to comprehend your point of view, I assumed that One Bad Pig was agreeing with you. Now I understand what you are saying. But I think conservatives should be every bit as opposed to Hitler as progressives, regardless of whether this opposition is based on philosophical reflection, subconscious or instinctive fear. All are healthy motivations for opposition in my opinion, and I don't think conservatives lack any of these motivations compared with liberals. As for comparisons between Hitler and Genghis Khan, Hitler is more naturally thought of because he is a lot more proximate in our history; some are still alive who fought him in war, and many more had parents and grandparents who fought in this war. I could be wrong, but I don't see any real differences between progressives and conservatives on this issue. Perhaps some people bring up your avatar because they want to use it in opposition to you, not out of a special progressive fear of Hitler?

Comment

Yes, while struggling to comprehend your point of view, I assumed that One Bad Pig was agreeing with you. Now I understand what you are saying. But I think conservatives should be every bit as opposed to Hitler as progressives, regardless of whether this opposition is based on philosophical reflection, subconscious or instinctive fear. All are healthy motivations for opposition in my opinion, and I don't think conservatives lack any of these motivations compared with liberals.
                                Ok, but I was referring specifically to an instinctual fear. Also, conservatives have some self-serving reasons to not be as opposed to Hitler as progressives. Namely that conservatives have no effective weapon against progressives. To fight off the enemy of the progressives is the same as to capitulate completely in the long run. This is part of why I expect some form of fascism to make a spectacular comeback when there's another genuine economic collapse like the Great Depression. I've dubbed this upcoming even the coming of the Second Hitler.

As for comparisons between Hitler and Genghis Khan, Hitler is more naturally thought of because he is a lot more proximate in our history; some are still alive who fought him in war, and many more had parents and grandparents who fought in this war. I could be wrong, but I don't see any real differences between progressives and conservatives on this issue.
                                I dunno. Commies are even closer in collective memory and some of them were just as bad, if not worse than Hitler.

Perhaps some people bring up your avatar because they want to use it in opposition to you, not out of a special progressive fear of Hitler?
                                The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact they go rather well together. Particularly since it's an obvious bait.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X