Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for Today

Understanding the Baptism in the Holy Spirit in Acts is difficult. But the keys are the Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:27 and the Samarians Acts 8:5. In essence, all had the Holy Spirit. Indeed, faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit Galatians 5:22. But only the Samarians had the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

These received the gift of the Holy Spirit according to Peter in Acts 2:38 just as we do today. But the Samarians also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands which the Eunuch did not.

On Pentecost God baptized the 12 Apostles with the Holy Spirit who also spoke in tongues. According to Acts 2:38 the eunuch and the Samarians had the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But Philip could not provide the baptism of the Holy Spirit for either. Acts reveals that beyond the two outpourings, only the Apostles through the laying on of their hands could baptize people in the Holy Spirit. It was the proof of apostleship Hebrews 2:4.

When the Apostles visited the Samarian converts, they laid their hands on them baptizing them in the Holy Spirit. But this was not the case with the Eunuch. It only says he went on his way rejoicing after Philip baptized him in water.

So the Samarians and the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But only the Samarians received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through the Apostles’ hands.

About 7 years later, God poured out the Holy Spirit on the gentiles at Cornelius’ house which resulted in their speaking in tongues just as the Apostles did at Pentecost.

Scripture doesn’t mention the 3000 converts on the day of Pentecost as baptized with the Holy Spirit. Nor the 5,000 converts days later. But we might assume those whom the Apostles baptized in water also received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through their hands. But anyone baptized by someone other than an apostle would have been like the Eunuch who received only the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Later, Paul preached to the disciples at Ephesus Acts 19:1. These like the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit. But they also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands the same way the Samarians did.

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit provided God’s word through tongues and prophecy until the New Testament canon became complete. How do we know this? Paul says scripture thoroughly equips us 2 Timothy 3:17. Paul said tongues and prophecy provided only partial knowledge 1 Corinthians 13:9. So it makes sense scripture replaced them when completed.

Beyond Acts, the Corinthians no doubt received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit through Paul’s hands. And Paul mentioned he wanted to visit the Romans to give spiritual gifts also to them Romans 1:11. Paul mentions laying his hands on Timothy who also received a gift 2 Timothy 1:6.

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all. The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Only for the apostle’s and those they laid their hands on.

The fullness of the Holy Spirit

All believers have the Holy Spirit and can attain the fullness through repentance. The les we walk in the flesh the more we walk in the Spirit. And it begins in the thought and imagination realm. Paul says:

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with: “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. Jesus is the Lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
    [FONT=Calibri]

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all. The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Only for the apostle’s and those they laid their hands on.
    Only once does the record speak of baptism in the Holy Spirit actually occurring - and that speaking of the event as occurring in the past (Acts 11:16). It is the only explicit link between "baptism in the Holy Spirit" and "the Holy Spirit falling on a person," and establishes that the "falling on" is baptism. It is direct confirmation that a person is baptised into the Holy Spirit when the Holy Spirit falls on a person. Every occurrence otherwise speaks of the Holy Spirit falling on people, as at Acts 10:44-47, which establishes "the Holy Spirit falling on a person" and "the person receiving the Holy Spirit" as interchangeable terms.

"Baptism in the Holy Spirit," "the Holy Spirit falling on a person," and "a person receiving the Holy Spirit" all refer to the same process: they all mean the same thing.
    Last edited by tabibito; 01-09-2022, 06:16 PM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Only once does the record speak of baptism in the Holy Spirit actually occurring - and that speaking of the event as occurring in the past (Acts 11:16). It is the only explicit link between "baptism in the Holy Spirit" and "the Holy Spirit falling on a person," and establishes that the "falling on" is baptism. It is direct confirmation that a person is baptised into the Holy Spirit when the Holy Spirit falls on a person. Every occurrence otherwise speaks of the Holy Spirit falling on people, as at Acts 10:44-47, which establishes "the Holy Spirit falling on a person" and "the person receiving the Holy Spirit" as interchangeable terms.

"Baptism in the Holy Spirit," "the Holy Spirit falling on a person," and "a person receiving the Holy Spirit" all refer to the same process: they all mean the same thing.
      Wrong. The Apostles and Cornelius received the Baptism. Also, those the Apostles laid hands on. Everyone else received the Holy Spirit, just as believers today. The Baptism was for the Apostles just as the miracles were for Moses. Pentecostalism today is fraudulent and misleading.

Comment

Wrong. The Apostles and Cornelius received the Baptism. Also, those the Apostles laid hands on. Everyone else received the Holy Spirit, just as believers today. The Baptism was for the Apostles just as the miracles were for Moses. Pentecostalism today is fraudulent and misleading.
        I have stated the facts. That you don't like them does not make them wrong. The cross connections were also provided, for the benefit of people who might want to check that what I have stated is indeed fact.
        Last edited by tabibito; 01-10-2022, 05:09 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I have stated the facts. That you don't like them does not make them wrong.
          You are wrong because of a lack of careful study. If you listen to me, I walk you through the true understanding of Acts and the Baptism.

Comment

You are wrong because of a lack of careful study. If you listen to me, I walk you through the true understanding of Acts and the Baptism.
            OK - I would listen to you if you addressed the issues that I raised and successfully refuted them. Otherwise, I will continue to dismiss your comments.

So - demonstrate that Baptism in the Holy Spirit, receiving the Holy Spirit, and having the Holy Spirit fall on a person are NOT just different ways to describe the same thing.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

OK - I would listen to you if you addressed the issues that I raised and successfully refuted them. Otherwise, I will continue to dismiss your comments.

So - demonstrate that Baptism in the Holy Spirit, receiving the Holy Spirit, and having the Holy Spirit fall on a person are NOT just different ways to describe the same thing.
              If you study the fruits of the Baptism = Signs and wonders for the Apostles and those they lay hands on, also Cornelius the gentile. And the fruits of receiving the Holy Spirit (not the baptism) on every believer, they did not perform the signs of an apostle = no gifts or tongues. They are two distinct operations of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

If you study the fruits of the Baptism = Signs and wonders for the Apostles and those they lay hands on, also Cornelius the gentile. And the fruits of receiving the Holy Spirit (not the baptism) on every believer, they did not perform the signs of an apostle = no gifts or tongues. They are two distinct operations of the Holy Spirit.
                Thank you for demonstrating that you cannot address the issue.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Thank you for demonstrating that you cannot address the issue.
                  Perhaps you cannot see it, or do not want to see it? Do you speak in tongues?

Comment

Whatever deficiencies I might have has no bearing on whether you can substantiate your claims.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Would the speaking in tongues help to understand your gibberish?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whatever deficiencies I might have has no bearing on whether you can substantiate your claims.
                        Do you speak in tongues? This will explain a lot if you do.

Comment

Given that you have been unable to substantiate your claims about baptism in the Holy Spirit, it stands to reason that you will be unable to substantiate your equally specious claims about the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Given that you have been unable to substantiate your claims about baptism in the Holy Spirit, it stands to reason that you will be unable to substantiate your equally specious claims about the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit.
                            I think my post creates problems for Pentecostals. Especially the preachers. Because it proves they are a farce and false teachers. So if you speak in tongues, I sympathize with you in being confronted with the facts.

Comment

I think my post creates problems for Pentecostals. Especially the preachers. Because it proves they are a farce and false teachers. So if you speak in tongues, I sympathize with you in being confronted with the facts.
                              I doubt that any Pentecostal would be in the least discomfited by your claims, but not being a Pentecostal, I couldn't say that with certainty.

Your lame attempt to denigrate other people fails to cover your incompetence when it comes to assessing scripture.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X