Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

My experience is that most Pentecostals are more patient and generally "nicer" than I am. I don't know whether they practice glossolalia more or less than I do, so I can't explain it on that basis.
    I've met some pretty patient Pentecostals before.

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I'll explain if you wish.
    Yeah sure. That was an interesting read.

Comment

So if God controls every thought and action of his creation, then why didn't he just stop Satan from rebelling and Adam and Eve from sinning in the first place? Imagine the glory of having created a world where everything created never sinned in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So if God controls every thought and action of his creation, then why didn't he just stop Satan from rebelling and Adam and Eve from sinning in the first place? Imagine the glory of having created a world where everything created never sinned in the first place!
        Dave's gonna have LOTS of work to do straightening us all out when he comes back from his vacay.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dave thinks we are fictional characters.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Hypercalvinism huh? That's what Dave has going on here?

I'm quite sure that the Calvinist church I go to isn't in to this. I can't imagine any congregation where that's the prevailing attitude and belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

I'm quite sure that the Calvinist church I go to isn't in to this. I can't imagine any congregation where that's the prevailing attitude and belief.
              His version of Calvinism appears to hate free will. Personally, I think he's more of a Pharisee than a Calvinist.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

It's a perversion of Calvinism that seemed to be more prevalent several decades back than it is today.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It's a perversion of Calvinism that seemed to be more prevalent several decades back than it is today.
                  But I've never seen anybody take it to the extent he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I knew someone like that. He also believed it didn't matter what he did because he had been predestined as part of the Elect who would go to heaven.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We had a few hypercalvinists here on Tweb in the past (before the big crash), that's how I recognized what Dave L is. They all tend to be pharisees too.

Here is an article about hypercalvinism.

https://g3min.org/calvinism-is-not-hyper-calvinism/

Comment

• A group of followers of Jacobus Arminius who studied under Theodore Beza (a disciple of John Calvin) drafted a document known as the Remonstrance. It was a detailed refutation of the sovereignty of God in salvation. It elevated the free will of man above the sovereign initiative and power of God. These people were known as Arminians. Their doctrine would eventually become known as Arminianism.

That is some interesting history. Every now and then, the sermons at my church will include snippets and references to some of these figures as well as certain documents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Dave thinks we are fictional characters.
                          I think he thinks of us as straw people to burn down.

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I knew someone like that. He also believed it didn't matter what he did because he had been predestined as part of the Elect who would go to heaven.
                            Yeah, such a self-defeating theology/argument. DaveThePharisee doesn't need to come here, because his actions on us can't change anything if we don't have free will.

Comment

• The most famous historical example of Hypercalvinism is when William Carey was told by an older church leader " When God pleases to convert the heathen, He will do without your aid or mine!" Carey didn't listen, of course.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                                A group of followers of Jacobus Arminius who studied under Theodore Beza (a disciple of John Calvin) drafted a document known as the Remonstrance. It was a detailed refutation of the sovereignty of God in salvation. It elevated the free will of man above the sovereign initiative and power of God. These people were known as Arminians. Their doctrine would eventually become known as Arminianism.

That is some interesting history. Every now and then, the sermons at my church will include snippets and references to some of these figures as well as certain documents.
                                What's the source of that quote? I don't think most Arminians would agree that Arminianism "elevated the free will of man above the sovereign initiative and power of God." That is how Calvinists often *portray* Arminianism, but Arminians don't see it that way. That, I believe, is more like Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagianism; of course, Calvinists tend to view Arminianism as Pelagianism by another name.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X