Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Baptism in Jesus’ name, Trinitarian style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism in Jesus’ name, Trinitarian style.

Jesus said: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” Matthew 28:19 (KJV 1900)

And the Apostles did so, or did they? “(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)” Acts 8:16 (KJV 1900)

“And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.” Acts 10:48 (KJV 1900)

“When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 19:5 (KJV 1900)

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38 (KJV 1900)

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?” Romans 6:3 (KJV 1900)

Why did it change from the Apostle's method?

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263: The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century. (Note) This is a summary and not an actual quote.

Should we rethink baptism and return to the scriptural method? When I learned of this, They rebaptized me, as a Trinitarian, in the name of Jesus Christ. The most serious charge I've received is that it is unorthodox. This means they, like the Pharisees, place tradition above God's word.

Wouldn't Jesus' instructions in Acts 8:16 also be the "scriptural method"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Maybe if he hadn't conflated two different accounts, one with Peter and the other with Paul ...
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yes, I listed several examples. That should have been one of them.

Comment

Further; maybe if he took note of the active (you baptise them) vs passive (they were baptised), he would realise that there is no discrepancy.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            Further; maybe if he took note of the active (you baptise them) vs passive (they were baptised), he would realise that there is no discrepancy.
            What difference does it make? They were baptized in Jesus' name, the only scriptural method.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

What difference does it make? They were baptized in Jesus' name, the only scriptural method.
              So how do you reconcile the passage in Matthew and the records of Acts (e.g. Acts 2:38)?

Why did Paul find it necessary to baptise the believers that he found in the name of Christ, where Peter and John did not? And why did Paul follow up by baptising his group into the Holy Spirit? Peter and John also baptising their group into the Holy Spirit.
              And where is there any indication that apostles alone were authorised to baptise (Philip was not an apostle: Acts 8:38), or had baptised either group prior to their encounters with Peter and John or with Paul?
              Last edited by tabibito; 01-09-2022, 07:07 AM.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Why does the exact wording even matter? Stop straining gnats.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

So how do you reconcile the passage in Matthew and the records of Acts (e.g. Acts 2:38)?

Why did Paul find it necessary to baptise the believers that he found in the name of Christ, where Peter did not? And why did Paul follow up by baptising his group into the Holy Spirit?
                  And where is there any indication that apostles alone were authorised to baptise (Philip was not an apostle: Acts 8:38), or had baptised either group prior to their encounters with Peter or with Paul?
                  They were only baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ. Nobody is baptized today if only the original apostles could do it.

Comment

They were only baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ. Nobody is baptized today if only the original apostles could do it.
                    The people of Samaria had only been baptised into the name of Christ - and they had not been baptised by apostles. When the apostles arrived on the scene, they proceeded to baptise the people of Samaria into the Holy Spirit.

A number of apostles are named in addition to the original twelve, Paul, and Matthias. The founding apostles do not comprise the sum of all apostles.

Just as a BTW: Yes, the people who get baptised in water are baptised into the name of Christ. That bit you got right at least.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Attention to the detail is relevant to whether the Bible contradicts itself on this issue. I hardly find that a matter of no consequence.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Attention to the detail is relevant to whether the Bible contradicts itself on this issue. I hardly find that a matter of no consequence.
                        It doesn't contradict. You are reading it wrong.

Comment

It doesn't contradict. You are reading it wrong.
                          I already said it doesn't. Can you explain why? or are you just repeating what you have been taught?
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Unless Acts 8:16 has been removed from the Bible you are clearly incorrect.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The people of Samaria had only been baptised into the name of Christ - and they had not been baptised by apostles. When the apostles arrived on the scene, they proceeded to baptise the people of Samaria into the Holy Spirit.

A number of apostles are named in addition to the original twelve, Paul, and Matthias. The founding apostles do not comprise the sum of all apostles.

Just as a BTW: Yes, the people who get baptised in water are baptised into the name of Christ. That bit you got right at least.
                              Any believer can baptize others. Phillip was appointed by the apostles to bear their gifts of healing.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X