Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Baptism in Jesus’ name, Trinitarian style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

"Jesus" was the Son's personal name, like yours is David. It mean's "YHWH Saves" - it only names the Son, not the Holy Spirit or the Father. The fullness of the Godhead dwells in each of the persons of the Trinity, including the Father and the Holy Spirit. In the OT the name of God, YHWH referred to the entire Godhead, the Trinity, since at that time it was not revealed that there were three persons in the Godhead. Therefore if any name refers to the entire trinity, it would be YHWH. And the capitalized word "LORD" in the OT was actually a replacement for YHWH in the Hebrew. "Lord" in the New Testament when referring to Jesus is the translation of the word "Adonai"

"Jesus" in the New Testament is just a personal name, Iēsous in greek.In Hebrew or Aramaic it would Yeshua, which is basically the same root we get the name Joshua from. Jesus is basically the modern English version of Yeshua. Were you baptized in the name of Yeshua? If not you were not baptized in the correct name, eh?
    You are denying the trinity when you say Jesus was the name only of the Son. God is one indivisible being called YHWH in the OT which turns into Jesus Christ in the NT. “Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

“and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were all drinking from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

You are denying the trinity when you say Jesus was the name only of the Son. God is one indivisible being called YHWH in the OT which turns into Jesus Christ in the NT. “Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

“and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were all drinking from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)
      I think at this point that you have Calvinism vanished even from your rearview mirror.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I think at this point that you have Calvinism vanished even from your rearview mirror.
        Your insult tells me, you have nothing but pent-up frustration to run on. Try to be more like Jesus.

Comment

Your insult tells me, you have nothing but pent-up frustration to run on. Try to be more like Jesus.
          Be careful what you wish for.

For instance, look at what Christ said in Matthew 23:33 to the Pharisees: "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?" In the same exchange He repeatedly and explicitly referred to them as "hypocrites," as well as "whitewashed tombs" (looks good on the outside but full of rot and uncleanness on the inside), "blind fools" and even "child of hell" (in John 8:44 He said "You are of your father the devil"). Earlier at His baptism He called the Pharisees and Sadducees a brood of vipers (Matthew 3:7) and again after casting out a demon He said "You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil?" (Matthew 12:34).

Or maybe he should make a scourge out of cords and drive you away like Jesus did in John 2.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Calvinism at least acknowledges the reality of the trinity as distinct "persons" of God. Jesus is the name by which Logos came to be known - the Father and the Holy Spirit are not known by that name.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

For instance, look at what Christ said in Matthew 23:33 to the Pharisees: "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?" In the same exchange He repeatedly and explicitly referred to them as "hypocrites," as well as "whitewashed tombs" (looks good on the outside but full of rot and uncleanness on the inside), "blind fools" and even "child of hell" (in John 8:44 He said "You are of your father the devil"). Earlier at His baptism He called the Pharisees and Sadducees a brood of vipers (Matthew 3:7) and again after casting out a demon He said "You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil?" (Matthew 12:34).

Or maybe he should make a scourge out of cords and drive you away like Jesus did in John 2.
              But, you nor he are Jesus and you spout nothing but hatred of me. How can you call yourself a Christian with this type of conduct?

Comment

But, you nor he are Jesus and you spout nothing but hatred of me. How can you call yourself a Christian with this type of conduct?
                You have mistaken a mirror for a telescope.

Hypocrite - your posts are littered with egregious insults levelled at all and sundry.
                Last edited by tabibito; 01-11-2022, 05:28 AM.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You have mistaken a mirror for a telescope.
                  You need to prove I'm wrong instead of insulting me.

Comment

You need to prove I'm wrong instead of insulting me.
                    You think pointing out a simple fact - that your claims about Jesus being the name for the trinity have no place within Calvinism - is an insult? Really?

Cite (from an official source) the teaching of Calvinism that says the same.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You think pointing out a simple fact - that your claims about Jesus being the name for the trinity have no place within Calvinism - is an insult? Really?

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

Comment

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)
                        More accurate translations actually translate the Koine Greek, "kurios," as "lord" in that passage.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Calvinism has nothing to do with this. It's the trinity and the name God goes by. It was YHWH in the OT, and Jesus Christ in the NT. “Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

Comment

Aside from the fact that you're projecting big time here, remember what I said yesterday about your habit of contradicting yourself on the same page?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Aside from the fact that you're projecting big time here, remember what I said yesterday about your habit of contradicting yourself on the same page?
                              Only if you twist my words or misunderstand them. Smearing me with false charges is less than Christ-like.

Comment

Calvinism has nothing to do with this. It's the trinity and the name God goes by. It was YHWH in the OT, and Jesus Christ in the NT. “Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)
                                You may cite an inaccurate translation as much as you like - the source texts say "lord," not "Jesus."
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X