Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An interview with a former Roman Catholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interview with a former Roman Catholic

I have debated with myself for a while about posting this video. Many of you are aware that I have problems with RCC doctrine and have for many years. I haven't brought it up much lately because I am reluctant to offend some.

However, this video got me thinking that there are millions of people who are unaware that the RCC is a false religion that offers no hope in this life or in eternity. And as time goes by and the Lord's return grows nearer, I decided that if I don't share this video here, some will never hear the truth, outlined in scripture, about the Catholic church.

I do not with to offend anyone. I don't hate Catholics. I hate the lies that have been told for millennia by Catholic popes and priests in all their dealings with the people. And I am troubled by the wave of Protestant leaders who think that the evangelical church has much in common with Rome. There are irreconcilable differences, and those who think that the 2 can be in any way joined together are not abiding by God's word.

I don't care if there is no discussion here. If people wish to discuss the video, that is fine. I do not want any animosity or hard feelings. But I want to present the video so that those who think the RCC is "okay" may see that that is not the truth. And one of the greatest indications of hatred is to not point out the truths of God to people, but to let them continue in their false religion.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Vid. is a little over an hour long. Not a complaint, just noting that.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Vid. is a little over an hour long. Not a complaint, just noting that.
      Yes. It's long, but worth the watch. If one is interested, that is.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Watched the whole thing - agree 100%

Would love to see anybody dispute what either man said.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Thank you.

Comment

Obviously as someone who converted to Catholicism from the Southern Baptist Church I am going to need to defend my position. I am actively involved in a Catholic Parish totally devoted to evangelizing others with the Gospel of Jesus. Maybe mine is an outlier... but I first and foremost would like to draw attention to the fact that a lot of people disagree with the Church for what they think it teaches vs what it actually teaches. That said... I am ultimately going to switch to my computer because I can tell I am going to be responding to a lot.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              However, this video got me thinking that there are millions of people who are unaware that the RCC is a false religion that offers no hope in this life or in eternity.
              It is utterly false that the RCC offers no hope in this life or in eternity.
              And as time goes by and the Lord's return grows nearer, I decided that if I don't share this video here, some will never hear the truth, outlined in scripture, about the Catholic church.

I do not with to offend anyone. I don't hate Catholics. I hate the lies that have been told for millennia by Catholic popes and priests in all their dealings with the people.
              Saying that Catholic popes and priests have been lying for millennia is rather offensive, IMO. You may disagree with some teachings, but calling them deliberately perpetuated falsehoods is malicious and hateful.

And I am troubled by the wave of Protestant leaders who think that the evangelical church has much in common with Rome. There are irreconcilable differences, and those who think that the 2 can be in any way joined together are not abiding by God's word.
              There is indeed much in common between the evangelical church and Rome. There are also irreconcilable differences.
              I don't care if there is no discussion here. If people wish to discuss the video, that is fine. I do not want any animosity or hard feelings. But I want to present the video so that those who think the RCC is "okay" may see that that is not the truth. And one of the greatest indications of hatred is to not point out the truths of God to people, but to let them continue in their false religion.

If you do not want any animosity or hard feelings, then you need to be more charitable in your characterization of the RCC. Be less polemic and more irenic. There are gentler ways to point out disagreements. Despite the real differences, Roman Catholics worship the same God in three Persons, and use the same Scriptures you do (with a few additions); Protestant thought, like Roman Catholicism, is deeply indebted to St. Augustine.

I hope to have time to watch the video. I will say, however, that I will not take its words as definitively accurate. I've read some ex-Orthodox polemic, and it's typically rather wide of the mark. There is, quite understandably, an impulse to denigrate that which one has left behind.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm about half way through. Seems pretty standard and somethings I've heard leveled at Protestant denominations as well. Personally I think all Christian belief systems (RCC, Orthodox, Lutheran, Presbyterian, non-denom, etc.) have defects in them. Certainly we've heard it taught that no one is saved by the church they attend. Sometimes I listen to discussions like this and I'm hearing a legalistic argument along the lines of "God, I have the right beliefs so you must save me." At the end of day, I'm probably trusting in His mercy to remedy the defects in my faith.

At one point, the interviewer mentioned Purgatory and does the RCC has a scriptural justification. I noticed the response never included a reference to 1 Corinthians 3:15. I don't think that establishes Purgatory but in the context of the video it probably should have been mentioned and then explained why the Bible reference is being incorrectly applied.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Part 1

Well let's start with the obvious. Justin Peter's levels the accusation that the Roman Catholic Church is Satan's greatest counterfeit. Well let me draw attention to the theologyweb statement of faith which mentions the Apostle's Creed:

Apostle's Creed

1. I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

2. I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.

3. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.

4. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.

5. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again.

6. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

7. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

8. I believe in the Holy Spirit,

9. the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints,

10. the forgiveness of sins,

11. the resurrection of the body,

12. and life everlasting.

Amen.

Presumably Justin Peters doesn't have an issue with this Creed. One other accusation leveled is "Apostasy" and yet the Apostle's creed is essentially a standard statement of faith for every mainstream church, including the Latin Rite Catholics.

If you believe in the "apostasy" under Constantine then I would submit the Apostle's Creed as evidence against apostasy, especially if you believe this Creed. It’s history is interesting as most likely it was developed in 5th Century Gaul as an enhanced version of “the Old Roman Creed” Which essentially says this:

I believe in God the Father almighty;

and in Christ Jesus His only Son, our Lord,

Who was born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary,

Who under Pontius Pilate was crucified and buried,

on the third day rose again from the dead,

ascended to heaven,

sits at the right hand of the Father,

whence He will come to judge the living and the dead;

and in the Holy Spirit,

the holy Church,

the remission of sins,

the resurrection of the flesh

(the life everlasting).

This Creed first appears in a letter to Pope Julius about A.D 340.

Emperor Constantine ruled from 306-337. If the Church began to apostosize, then why would they have adopted creeds declaring that a belief in the Triune God was necessary for a Christian?
                  Creeds which by the way are considered utterly standard among most Evangelicals and Catholics.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Part 2:

Part 2:

“Catholics don’t want their congregants reading the Bible/The Council of Trent added Books”

Well don’t tell my priest or my bishop that I own 7 Bibles. And certainly you’d better not tell him that we use the Bible regularly in Sunday School and two of my theological groups (both of which are remarkably Catholic) And in revisiting the charge of apostasy, let’s also address that the Biblical Canon did not appear in the 66 book format Protestant’s use in KJV English. (Tongue in Cheek here) But again, those who believe the Roman Church apostasized, The origin of the canon of Scripture is important.
                    The first common language Bible was officially canonized in 383 and is more commonly known as the “Latin Vulgate.” It included the Septuagint; which includes the books many protestants call the Apocrypha, and all of the utilized New Testament Books except Revelation which was accepted by the Church as of the early 5th Century A.D.
                    The reason the Septuagint was included was that it was the “Old Testament” Used by 1st Century Greek Jews, and it’s stories are referenced by the Apostles in the New Testament. St. Jerome was Sharply criticized for translating the Bible from Hebrew into Latin by St Augustine as Greek was the common language. ( Letters of Jerome #21 and Confessions of St Augustine, References appear in “The Father’s know Best” Jimmy Akin and “The Early Church Fathers” Mike Aquilina.

At the Council of Trent the Dogmatic (Rule) Canon was established as Martin Luther not only questioned the Use of the Apocrypha; but he wanted to eliminate James, Jude, Hebrews and Revelation. Luther wanted the latter 4 books removed as they contained verses which counter Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide.

The Second part, The Council of Trent (though especially in America we see this as wrong) Established that the Bible must be printed in the most correct form (which was considered to be St. Jerome’s Vulgate) And that no person should interpret the Bible against the magisterium of the Church. (See CT table (documentacatholicaomnia.eu) Council Session 4) It did not prohibit translation into vernacular, nor private home reading. Also contrary to the assertions made in this video. Of Note, The Third Session of the Council of Trent adopted the Nicene Creed as the Profession of Faith for the Catholic Church.

In the interest of not flooding I will abstain from posting my next series of objections until other's have had a chance to respond.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In the first two minutes of the actual interview, we get:

5:30 – Gendron talks about people receiving indulgences by going to confession, which is at best a confusion of topics. He also works in a gratuitous reference to the veneration of relics, which doesn't have anything to do with indulgences either.

6:20 – RCC began drifting into apostasy in the 4th century when Constantine established Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire? This is false; that wasn't done until Theodosius II, a century later. Then he asserts that faith was no longer required, only baptism. Anyone remotely familiar with the writings of the church fathers from that time would understand the falsity of that assertion.
                      6:40 – Constantine was not the Pontificus Maximus of any church.

Hopefully there's rather less burning of straw in the remainder, but it's not a good start.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Just in case you all thought I wasn't paying attention:

I did not expect that I would receive any sort of agreement with the video from either Cath or OBP. I won't be responding to your individual posts, as I think the video speaks clearly for itself and I have no need to defend it.

However, you may carry on trying to defend the RCC, and by extension the EO, as much as you like. My mind will not be changed by your posts, as I knew when I posted the thread that the video would make no difference to your beliefs.

I will respond to this part of OBP's first post in this thread.

If you do not want any animosity or hard feelings, then you need to be more charitable in your characterization of the RCC. Be less polemic and more irenic. There are gentler ways to point out disagreements. Despite the real differences, Roman Catholics worship the same God in three Persons, and use the same Scriptures you do (with a few additions); Protestant thought, like Roman Catholicism, is deeply indebted to St. Augustine.
                        It is, then, apparently better to not speak the truth at all if it offends someone. I am sorry that I disagree with that. It is better, always to speak the truth, even if it offends. And I knew it would. But in order to try to point out error and perhaps move some to wake up and realize the problems with RCC doctrine, I felt I had to post the video.

Now you may all continue with your defense.
                        Last edited by mossrose; 11-10-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I did not expect that I would receive any sort of agreement with the video from either Cath or OBP. I won't be responding to your individual posts, as I think the video speaks clearly for itself and I have no need to defend it.

However, you may carry on trying to defend the RCC, and by extension the EO, as much as you like. My mind will not be changed by your posts, as I knew when I posted the thread that the video would make no difference to your beliefs.

Irony alert!
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Why would you post a one hour video and refuse to engage with anybody who watched it and took the time to discuss it in detail? That's patently unfair and disrespectful of other people's time.

To say that the video "speaks for itself" does nothing to refute the charges of factual errors that have been alleged.
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 11-10-2021, 07:12 PM.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm still following, paying attention to the disputing of what either man said.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X