Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An interview with a former Roman Catholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But we can still party at Cow Poke's mansion!
    Nah. Cow Poke won't recognize rift-raft like us. I hear there's going to be a three-crown minimum to get into his mansion.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

First, I don't believe in Purgatory. I believe "Purgatory" is that instant/moment when our sin nature is removed from us. I don't believe it's something that takes years.

However, I think the idea is similar to saying a washer torments clothes into being clean.
      I think the Bible is pretty clear that we are presented faultless to the Father, clothed in Christ's own righteousness. No need for a last minute tumble in the washer.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think the Bible is pretty clear that we are presented faultless to the Father, clothed in Christ's own righteousness. No need for a last minute tumble in the washer.
        Clothed in His righteousness alone,
        Faultless to stand before the throne!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Purgatory is a fairytale, but "presented faultless to the Father, clothed in Christ's own righteousness" doesn't appear in the Bible either. We have to flee from traditions of men whether they come from a dude with a Dagon fish hat or a "seminary graduate".

Scripture Verse: Philippians 2

12 Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good purpose.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post

Purgatory is a fairytale, but "presented faultless to the Father, clothed in Christ's own righteousness" doesn't appear in the Bible either. We have to flee from traditions of men whether they come from a dude with a Dagon fish hat or a "seminary graduate".

Scripture Verse: Philippians 2

12 Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good purpose.

Scripture Verse: Jude

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Scripture Verse: Jude

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Now find the second half to match with the first and you win a prize. Otherwise you're adding stuff just like the papists.

Comment

Now find the second half to match with the first and you win a prize. Otherwise you're adding stuff just like the papists.
                workin on it!

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 61:10

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall be joyful in my God. For He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation; He hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-12-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

workin on it!

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 61:10

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall be joyful in my God. For He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation; He hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Notice how it switches from "he has covered me" to "as a bridegroom decks himself" and "as a bride adorns herself". Joint effort. To say nothing of the fact that your OT and NT hodgepodge still doesn't explicitly state what you did.

Comment

Notice how it switches from "he has covered me" to "as a bridegroom decks himself" and "as a bride adorns herself". Joint effort. To say nothing of the fact that your OT and NT hodgepodge still doesn't explicitly state what you did.
                    Fortunately for me, it will be Christ presenting me faultless to the Father, and you'll have nothing to say about it.

Comment

Hebrews, which, in my opinion, is the best commentary on the Old Testament, makes it clear that Christ is the High Priest, and has done His work, and 'sat down'. Christ is clearly the Head of the Church, and I find no role in the Bible at all that supports the notion of a human "Vicar".
                      I believe the Church collectively constitutes the "vicar" -- earthly representative -- of Christ.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

First, I'm not here to argue. But you do sound WAY different from the many many Catholics I deal with. In the area I now serve, most of the Catholics will be Hispanic, and I have never found a single one who knew that Salvation was possible "here and now". They believe "Salvation" is pretty much the property of the Church, and they can never have assurance that they "are saved".
                        I wonder if you have seen a lot of "folk Catholics." Inside folk Catholicism, they tend to meld a lot of superstition along with false teaching and understanding of what the Church teaches. In the last day or so I looked into it a little more. One of the concerns among "evangelical Catholics" is correction of the errors in folk Catholicism. (Which is often as Christian as Mormonism)
                        To be honest, I had been told stories about the Catholics in other countries and in other areas and how un-Christian they were, and realistically had what I heard been what I had seen when I visited my current parish in 2008 for the first time, I probably would have never become Catholic. But rather what I saw was a priest who totally loved the Lord with all his heart, mind, soul and strength and a congregation who was devoted to things like door to door evangelization; reading and understanding scripture and very much into growing their personal relationship with Christ and helping others in their relationship with Christ. Even my parents and grandparents and protestant friends who came to my confirmation and my daughter's baptism could see it.

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Fortunately for me, it will be Christ presenting me faultless to the Father, and you'll have nothing to say about it.
                          Christ, like His Father, cannot lie. If you're still a sinner, He won't declare otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I thought Benedict was pretty decent, too.
                            I was thrilled to go into the Church under Pope Benedict XVI. (now Pope Emeritus) One of the things I liked best about him was the in depth teachings he gave on Jesus.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This doesn't appear to be at all consistent with what I'm finding on official Catholic websites. Even where there are notifications of approval for publication from high ranking Catholic officials.

In no way can it be "instantaneous" when there is the need for those still living to "increase their merit".

I'm more and more convinced that your version of "Catholic" is at odds with the official teachings of the Catholic Church.
                              If so then all of Catholic Answers is at odds with the Church. But their tracts receive the Impramatur and Nihil Obistat (AKA what's here is consistent with the teaching of the Church) So from this tract "Myths About Indulgences" on their webpage:
                              Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.

The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.

Myths about Indulgences | Catholic Answers
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Christ, like His Father, cannot lie. If you're still a sinner, He won't declare otherwise.
                                Darfius, I am asking you to leave this thread. You are propounding your own heretical beliefs, and we have enough to deal with with the topic of the thread.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X