Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    This week, one of my newsletters introduced The American Reformer as a new group trying to help Protestants deal with the world.

The initial postings look good but do we really need another set of Christian elites talking to other elites? It just strikes me that all these groups have minimal impact on the person in the pew. Awhile back I use to look at Gospel Coalition until the articles all seemed non-applicable to what I was experiencing.

Is Christianity in America helped by all these groups (9 Marks, American Reformer, Gospel Coalition, etc.)?

You can check American Reformer out if you want. https://americanreformer.org/
    OK - checked the site - looked up the theology link - annnnnd
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Our Church is in the process of establishing an Elder group, in addition, and along side of, our deacons.

Recently, we had a lady join our church who appears to be very well grounded in the Word, and just seems to ooze wisdom.

She asked me, Sunday Morning between Sunday School and Church, if we were moving toward a 9Marks model.

I had never even heard of 9Marks, so I Googled it real quick (https://www.9marks.org/), and discovered it's a THING.

Later, I started drilling down on what 9Marks is all about, and it's nothing at all scary, and has a lot of good rationale behind it.

Anybody know anything about this?
      Is it even remotely associated with the four marks of the Church ?

In view of: https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/ - yes, in some ways, but not in others.
      Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 10-04-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        Is it even remotely associated with the four marks of the Church ?

In view of: https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/ - yes, in some ways, but not in others.
        Glad you checked that out, because I wasn't familiar with 9Marks, let alone four marks.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Glad you checked that out, because I wasn't familiar with 9Marks, let alone four marks.
          I think the Greek & Roman churches are glaring. Reformation initiatives are endless and always seem to restart with a modern pastoral figure(s)...as if saying "now we got it right". When this kind of thing happens it becomes difficult to argue against church tradition, councils, fathers, etc. Rome had a point. Do we really know better than thousands of years of church history that codified these issues in church tradition? Don't mean to derail anything there, but who can keep up with all this? 100 Theses, 9 marks, 4 marks...

That's more of an observation than a critique because at the end of the day what else are we supposed to do in our effort to become Biblical (and who am I anyway)? Tradition also fails us.

Come Lord Jesus, and come quickly!

Comment

• Originally posted by nico View Post

I think the Greek & Roman churches are glaring. Reformation initiatives are endless and always seem to restart with a modern pastoral figure(s)...as if saying "now we got it right". When this kind of thing happens it becomes difficult to argue against church tradition, councils, fathers, etc. Rome had a point. Do we really know better than thousands of years of church history that codified these issues in church tradition? Don't mean to derail anything there, but who can keep up with all this? 100 Theses, 9 marks, 4 marks...

That's more of an observation than a critique because at the end of the day what else are we supposed to do in our effort to become Biblical (and who am I anyway)? Tradition also fails us.

Come Lord Jesus, and come quickly!
            Becoming Biblical without Tradition is something of a lost cause. The Bible was never intended to be "The Compleat Guide to Christianity"; the gospels are incomplete (self-admittedly, in the case of John), and the epistles were generally written to address specific problems.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Becoming Biblical without Tradition is something of a lost cause
              I can accept this but with qualification.

The Bible was never intended to be "The Compleat Guide to Christianity"; the gospels are incomplete (self-admittedly, in the case of John), and the epistles were generally written to address specific problems.
              I cannot accept this though.

2 Tim 3:16-17
              All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

I think Tradition, as you capitalize here, has more value that Protestants tend to think. But to undermine the scriptures with the notion of incompleteness is precisely why it makes it difficult for protestants to accept "Tradition" as you see it. Anyway, your point is taken, and I'm probably derailing this.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X