Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long story short - I think it's interesting that simply because we're moving in the direction we are (and have been) that it looks similar to a 9Marks model, so be it.

But that's certainly not our goal, and I don't plan on "signing up" as a 9Marks church.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Long story short - I think it's interesting that simply because we're moving in the direction we are (and have been) that it looks similar to a 9Marks model, so be it.

But that's certainly not our goal, and I don't plan on "signing up" as a 9Marks church.
      Seems good. Just follow the lead provided by Christ, and if it looks similar to what others are doing - sobeit. Maybe they are following his lead too, or maybe not.

BTW: Did you ask the lady what her opinion of 9Marks is?

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It doesn't seem necessary, and if 9M were to ever develop problems or get embroiled in some scandal, then you don't have to worry about getting dragged into it or it splitting the congregation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Seems good. Just follow the lead provided by Christ, and if it looks similar to what others are doing - sobeit. Maybe they are following his lead too, or maybe not.
          That's the plan!

BTW: Did you ask the lady what her opinion of 9Marks is?
          Haven't had opportunity yet - that was a brief exchange between Sunday School and Church, and after Church we were getting ready for our Sunday Night "Back to School" bash - an abbreviated VBS night on steroids!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It doesn't seem necessary, and if 9M were to ever develop problems or get embroiled in some scandal, then you don't have to worry about getting dragged into it or it splitting the congregation.
            That too.

One thing that intrigues me is the imbalanced focus on doctrine. Jesus said not, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples - that you have all your doctine exactly correct, with all the i's properly crossed and the t's properly dotted." True, he did make a point about getting doctrine correct and not adding man made precepts, but the primary focus of his teaching was always attitude and behaviour.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

They point to the qualifications in the Scriptures concerning elders, deacons and overseers.
              But no qualifications regarding what they believe.
              Jesus makes it perfectly clear in Matt 18, so...
              In my 35 years of being a Protestant, I saw that used exactly once.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

2/ Theology: Doctrine should be sound, show right thinking about God, and be fully in accord with scripture. [(No Chalcedonian church has that last one.)]

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's the plan!

Haven't had opportunity yet - that was a brief exchange between Sunday School and Church, and after Church we were getting ready for our Sunday Night "Back to School" bash - an abbreviated VBS night on steroids!
                  OK - Google search on VBS gives "Vacation Bible Study" - but how does "night" fit in? Like a closing ceremony?
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Tab, are you a member of the Oriental Orthodox Church?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      But no qualifications regarding what they believe.
                      Agreed.

In my 35 years of being a Protestant, I saw that used exactly once.
                      I preach and or teach it QUARTERLY -- as a result, we've only had to withdraw fellowship once from a lady who couldn't stop gossiping.

Comment

That too.

One thing that intrigues me is the imbalanced focus on doctrine. Jesus said not, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples - that you have all your doctine exactly correct, with all the i's properly crossed and the t's properly dotted." True, he did make a point about getting doctrine correct and not adding man made precepts, but the primary focus of his teaching was always attitude and behaviour.
                        The "Doctrine" began to drift after Jesus, so we see it brought up frequently in the epistles as guarding against false teaching, "another Jesus"....

I think Paul Powell said it best --- that the main thing is that we keep the main thing the main thing. (you know.. the thing)

Comment

OK - Google search on VBS gives "Vacation Bible Study" - but how does "night" fit in? Like a closing ceremony?
                          Sorry - "Vacation Bible School" -- usually a 5 or 6 day event (either in the morning or evening), but because of COVID, we scaled way back.
                          Didn't have it at all last summer, and THIS summer, we decided to have one "BIG NIGHT" of VBS, combining it with a Back to School carnival and prayer event.

Comment

EGGzackly... kinda like Promise Keepers --- I had men who wanted our Church (way back then) to identify as a "Promise Keepers Church", and I convinced them it was better to keep identifying as a "New Testament Church".

(And PK seemed to drift, then disappear, only to come up again recently)

Comment

(And PK seemed to drift, then disappear, only to come up again recently)
                              And not in a good way

And I knew a lot of guys who were deep into it when it first came out.

Comment

Tab, are you a member of the Oriental Orthodox Church?
                                Nay good sir. BUT it is amazing how often members of Eastern Churches think that I am a member of (someone else's) Eastern Church.

Last semester, I discovered Moltmann and Kitamori. MUCH of what they write of, I can give assent to.

And then there is this - which I used in a submission:

In sum, these examples portray a divergence, beginning before the fourth century, from earlier writings and scripture. The meanings of the latter have been informed by views of impassibility but, beyond the base doctrine that God is a single entity in three identities,[1] very little development has been informed by scripture, as Thomas Torrance notes,
                                Theologians have been willing to go to great exegetical lengths to reconcile large portions of scripture with their understanding of God’s metaphysical attributes. Hence, any scripture that ascribed change or suffering to God was typically interpreted to depict God as he appears to us, not as he actually is.[2]

[1] The term “identity” is presented as a viable alternative to “person,” imperfect, but with fewer opportunities for misunderstanding than “person.” I have previously stated, in discussions on the net and elsewhere, that man, male and female, is created in the image and likeness of God, which shows that humans are in themselves analogies of God. Humans, themselves triune (body, soul, and spirit), provide an adequate analogy for understanding how an entity can be at once one and three; and that humans are triune is tacitly acknowledged, though in an admittedly restricted sense, even by some notable atheists; including Freud with his “id, ego, and super-ego”.

[2] Gregory A Boyd. The Crucifixion of the Warrior God: Interpreting the Old Testament’s Violent Portraits of God in the Light of the Cross Volumes 1&2 (sample). (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2017), KL 679-681

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X