Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think we might be talking about two different concepts --- PK - Promise Keepers, is purely a men's ministry thing.... the other thing was "True Love Waits", I think is what you're referring to here.
    ? Interesting. I'm pretty sure Promise Keeper was the term that the lady used - but then it was a few years back, and my focus was on the more important issue. The potential (since realised) for disruption of the relationship between mother and daughter was not pleasant to contemplate.
    Last edited by tabibito; 08-17-2021, 01:16 PM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

? Interesting. I'm pretty sure Promise Keeper was the term that the lady used - but then it was a few years back, and my focus was on the more important issue.
      Maybe there's another name for it, but the "women taking the oath" generally appeals to not having sex until they are married - "True Love Waits".

Maybe she was one of those OATH KEEPERS that invaded the Capitol!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Me too... it's like the beginning foundaitons of a cult or something, but "all good" from the 50,000 foot view.
        I am always suspicious of people trying to find a way to "market" the gospel and reduce it to "step by step" lessons that they are happy to sell to people along with all of the associated "workbooks"

Comment

Maybe there's another name for it, but the "women taking the oath" generally appeals to not having sex until they are married - "True Love Waits".
          Well, that was the issue. Maybe my memory is faulty, or maybe it is a matter of dialect. We have interesting changes of name for a variety of things. The Australian footpath is the British pavement is the American sidewalk, for example.

Maybe she was one of those OATH KEEPERS that invaded the Capitol!!!!
          There it goes again, I thought they were oath mouthers.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am always suspicious of people trying to find a way to "market" the gospel and reduce it to "step by step" lessons that they are happy to sell to people along with all of the associated "workbooks"
            There's nothing wrong with speaker(s) who have authored books offering them up for sale to those interested, but once it becomes a program like you described, that is definitely a red flag.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, that was the issue. Maybe my memory is faulty, or maybe it is a matter of dialect. We have interesting changes of name for a variety of things. The Australian footpath is the British pavement is the American sidewalk, for example.
              And we drive on parkways and park on driveways - if it's sent by car, it's a package, if sent by ship, it's cargo, if it's sent by truck, it's a shipment.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                There's nothing wrong with speaker(s) who have authored books offering them up for sale to those interested, but once it becomes a program like you described, that is definitely a red flag.
                Kinda like selling a franchise.

Comment

Look at the differences between Americans and the British involving automobiles or cars.

Hood = Bonnet
                  Windshield = Windscreen
                  Trunk = Boot
                  Fender = Wing
                  Gas Tank = Petrol Tank
                  Transmission = Gearbox
                  Muffler = Silencer
                  Tire (which gets a flat) = Tyre (which gets a puncture)
                  Turn Signals = Indicators
                  Horn = Hooter (or so a one-time boss from around Manchester insisted)

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Look at the differences between Americans and the British involving automobiles or cars.

Hood = Bonnet
                    Windshield = Windscreen
                    Trunk = Boot
                    Fender = Wing
                    Gas Tank = Petrol Tank
                    Gearbox = Transmission
                    Muffler = Silencer
                    Tire (which gets a flat) = Tyre (which gets a puncture)
                    Turn Signals = Indicators
                    Horn = Hooter (or so a one-time boss from around Manchester insisted)
                    I once had an MGB which had a warning "make certain to actuate trafficators before altering lane travel".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Kinda like selling a franchise.
                      Exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        yeah. And I don't really have a problem with some guide to help spread the gospel, like those Roman Road brochures. I just have a problem with commercializing the gospel for profit and trying to make it into some sort of "if you do this you won't fail" lesson guide. So while the contents of the website might not be bad in itself, it's the whole commercializing the gospel and how to preach it that bugs me. If pastors need a guide to follow to preach the gospel, then they are in the wrong job. also, I don't like cookie cutter churches, and this seems like an attempt to make all churches the same. Teaching the same thing, the same way, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And we drive on parkways and park on driveways - if it's sent by car, it's a package, if sent by ship, it's cargo, if it's sent by truck, it's a shipment.....
                          Very nice. I've stolen a copy for use in TESOL
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Hood = Bonnet*
                            Windshield = Windscreen*
                            Trunk = Boot*
                            Fender = Wing ... panel* (front, side, or rear as appropriate)
                            Gas Tank = Petrol Tank*
                            Transmission = Gearbox*
                            *Muffler = Silencer
                            Tire (which gets a flat*) = Tyre* (which gets a puncture)
                            Turn Signals = Indicators*
                            *Horn = Hooter (or so a one-time boss from around Manchester insisted)
                            (* marks the terms that we use, though the American terms do get used from time to time.) [e.g. We will lift the bonnet and look under the hood.]

Well I'll be. Here I was all this time thinking that a fender was a bumper bar.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

yeah. And I don't really have a problem with some guide to help spread the gospel, like those Roman Road brochures. I just have a problem with commercializing the gospel for profit and trying to make it into some sort of "if you do this you won't fail" lesson guide. So while the contents of the website might not be bad in itself, it's the whole commercializing the gospel and how to preach it that bugs me. If pastors need a guide to follow to preach the gospel, then they are in the wrong job. also, I don't like cookie cutter churches, and this seems like an attempt to make all churches the same. Teaching the same thing, the same way, etc.
                              Hmmm ... denominalisation by stealth.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• This week, one of my newsletters introduced The American Reformer as a new group trying to help Protestants deal with the world.

The initial postings look good but do we really need another set of Christian elites talking to other elites? It just strikes me that all these groups have minimal impact on the person in the pew. Awhile back I use to look at Gospel Coalition until the articles all seemed non-applicable to what I was experiencing.

Is Christianity in America helped by all these groups (9 Marks, American Reformer, Gospel Coalition, etc.)?

You can check American Reformer out if you want. https://americanreformer.org/
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X