Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Nay good sir. BUT it is amazing how often members of Eastern Churches think that I am a member of (someone else's) Eastern Church.

Last semester, I discovered Moltmann and Kitamori. MUCH of what they write of, I can give assent to.

And then there is this - which I used in a submission:

In sum, these examples portray a divergence, beginning before the fourth century, from earlier writings and scripture. The meanings of the latter have been informed by views of impassibility but, beyond the base doctrine that God is a single entity in three identities,[1] very little development has been informed by scripture, as Thomas Torrance notes,
    Theologians have been willing to go to great exegetical lengths to reconcile large portions of scripture with their understanding of God’s metaphysical attributes. Hence, any scripture that ascribed change or suffering to God was typically interpreted to depict God as he appears to us, not as he actually is.[2]

[1] The term “identity” is presented as a viable alternative to “person,” imperfect, but with fewer opportunities for misunderstanding than “person.” I have previously stated, in discussions on the net and elsewhere, that man, male and female, is created in the image and likeness of God, which shows that humans are in themselves analogies of God. Humans, themselves triune (body, soul, and spirit), provide an adequate analogy for understanding how an entity can be at once one and three; and that humans are triune is tacitly acknowledged, though in an admittedly restricted sense, even by some notable atheists; including Freud with his “id, ego, and super-ego”.

[2] Gregory A Boyd. The Crucifixion of the Warrior God: Interpreting the Old Testament’s Violent Portraits of God in the Light of the Cross Volumes 1&2 (sample). (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2017), KL 679-681

Thanks for that.

Are you non-denominational?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Thanks for that.

Are you non-denominational?

A category which is fraught with undertones, but it is reasonably close. I tend to go to a church where I can be useful. Most recently spent a few years at an Anglican church, but work sort of dried up there, thanks to circumstances associated with Covid. A local baptist church is happy with my contributions, so I'll probably start attending that one.
      (It is kind of a refreshing change - the first church I have been to where problems aren't self evident.)
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A category which is fraught with undertones, but it is reasonably close. I tend to go to a church where I can be useful. Most recently spent a few years at an Anglican church, but work sort of dried up there, thanks to circumstances associated with Covid. A local baptist church is happy with my contributions, so I'll probably start attending that one.
        (It is kind of a refreshing change - the first church I have been to where problems aren't self evident.)
        I was born in a Lutheran family, became a Baptist and over the last few years am drifting more and more to being non-denomination

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was born in a Lutheran family, became a Baptist and over the last few years am drifting more and more to being non-denomination
          And therefore at risk of being branded a "spiritual gypsy" (or whatever the equivalent term is where you are.)
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Of course, you could always adopt the term "Rurouni-Christian."
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And therefore at risk of being branded a "spiritual gypsy" (or whatever the equivalent term is where you are.)
              When I was old enough to start taking it seriously I did a lot of looking around. Including into non-Christian faiths like Islam. Deciding that Christ's message was the true one and while respecting traditions and rituals, that wasn't my route, so Episcopalian, Catholic and Orthodox weren't going to fit, and in the end I found that the Baptists were closest to my beliefs.

As years go on I find "denomination" to be less important.

Comment

When I was old enough to start taking it seriously I did a lot of looking around. Including into non-Christian faiths like Islam. Deciding that Christ's message was the true one and while respecting traditions and rituals, that wasn't my route, so Episcopalian, Catholic and Orthodox weren't going to fit, and in the end I found that the Baptists were closest to my beliefs.

Yup - Rurouni is a good term for it.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yup - Rurouni is a good term for it.
                  But my sword blade isn't upside down nor is it a katana -- although I did fool around with iaijutsu for awhile.

Comment

But my sword blade isn't upside down nor is it a katana --
                    back to front - sharpened on the trailing edge.

[although I did fool around with iaijutsu for awhile.
                    Did she sue you for harassment?
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

back to front - sharpened on the trailing edge.

Did she sue you for harassment?
                      No, but her brother Joe Jitsu tossed me out.

Comment

And not in a good way

And I knew a lot of guys who were deep into it when it first came out.
                        Yes, back in the day, we had quite a flourishing Men's Ministry in our Church, and we chartered a couple buses to DC for that BIG event.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup - I grew up Baptist, rebelled, sought out other possibilities including the Catholic Church, and found that Baptists wwere closest to my beliefs.

And I am quick to identify myself first as a Christian, then as a Baptist (for now).
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

EGGzackly... kinda like Promise Keepers --- I had men who wanted our Church (way back then) to identify as a "Promise Keepers Church", and I convinced them it was better to keep identifying as a "New Testament Church".

(And PK seemed to drift, then disappear, only to come up again recently)
                            PK is an interesting phenomenon. A few years ago, there was a woman bragging about how her daughter (very keen, very dedicated to Christ) had taken the vow. I just looked at the woman and said "She can't hold the line." After that, I wasn't exactly the lady's favourite person.

Maybe Jesus' admonition about not taking oaths should be taken seriously.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, back in the day, we had quite a flourishing Men's Ministry in our Church, and we chartered a couple buses to DC for that BIG event.
                              I went to one in the neighboring city way back. Not bad but these kind of emotional get-togethers don't do much for me. My one lasting memory is how the location where they sold books, tapes, etc. was between my seat and the stage. At least they shut down the sales when someone started speaking.

I actually read an article about PK recently. As I remember, the author argued that when PK became a free event that's when it started going down. He was arguing that men need to spend money (even a token ticket fee like $5) to make an event like that seem important enough to go to.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

PK is an interesting phenomenon. A few years ago, there was a woman bragging about how her daughter (very keen, very dedicated to Christ) had taken the vow. I just looked at the woman and said "She can't hold the line." After that, I wasn't exactly the lady's favourite person.

Maybe Jesus' admonition about not taking oaths should be taken seriously.
                                I think we might be talking about two different concepts --- PK - Promise Keepers, is purely a men's ministry thing.... the other thing was "True Love Waits", I think is what you're referring to here.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X