Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arminian churches are going to have some issues with the "enabling them to respond" part of #4.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I dunno, some kind of trinity of trinities super-perfection?
      That's as good as anything I've seen!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think the only one I might question is #9, in that there should be a pastor or lead elder or.... unless I misunderstand the "plurality of elders"....
        I think you understand the term correctly. I'm afraid I agree with them more than with you, in keeping with this post over in the "Fixing church" thread.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I think you understand the term correctly. I'm afraid I agree with them more than with you, in keeping with this post over in the "Fixing church" thread.
          And that's fine, that's why Church of Christ pastors don't allow themselves to be called pastors. Or, at least, some. And only sometimes.

I still think the "letters to the churches" are written to the "angels" or "pastors" of those churches --- one pastor per church.

And I think somebody has to be the vision caster or primary peson responsible.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Arminian churches are going to have some issues with the "enabling them to respond" part of #4.
            And not just Arminians

Cow Poke

I still think the "letters to the churches" are written to the "angels" or "pastors" of those churches --- one pastor per church.
            Certainly only one per church. I lean toward the idea that it would have been the resident prophet, but without being invested in the idea.
            Last edited by tabibito; 08-16-2021, 09:35 PM.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And not just Arminians

Cow Poke

Certainly only one per church. I lean toward the idea that it would have been the resident prophet, but without being invested in the idea.
              "Angel" also means "messenger", so it could be the 'church clerk' or somebody in charge of correspondence or receipt or delivery of circulars or something.

I'm certainly not going to build a theology or religion over it.

Comment

"Angel" also means "messenger", so it could be the 'church clerk' or somebody in charge of correspondence or receipt or delivery of circulars or something.

I'm certainly not going to build a theology or religion over it.

True enough - you'd only get lost in the crowd anyway.

Angel (angelos, that is) is a word with such a broad range of meanings. Maybe even extending to a person's spirit, if the "Peter at the gate" event is any guide.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

True enough - you'd only get lost in the crowd anyway.

Angel (angelos, that is) is a word with such a broad range of meanings. Maybe even extending to a person's spirit, if the "Peter at the gate" event is any guide.
                  I think we need to be fruit inspectors. If a Church is preaching the Word, winning the lost and equipping the saints, and abiding in unity, it's hard to argue.

One thing we know, there will be greater accountability from God to those who step up to lead.

Comment

I think we need to be fruit inspectors. If a Church is preaching the Word, winning the lost and equipping the saints, and abiding in unity, it's hard to argue.

One thing we know, there will be greater accountability from God to those who step up to lead.
                    I agree. Unfortunately too many people misapply judge not least you be judged at this point.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree. Unfortunately too many people misapply judge not least you be judged at this point.
                      EGGzackly... the same God who tells us not to Judge (through Matthew and elsewhere) also tells us to test the spirits to see if they be of God, and to look at a person's fruit...

Comment

EGGzackly... the same God who tells us not to Judge (through Matthew and elsewhere) also tells us to test the spirits to see if they be of God, and to look at a person's fruit...
                        How can you say that?! It is all faith alone, don't you know?
                        Last edited by tabibito; 08-17-2021, 07:43 AM.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

How can you say that?! It is all faith alone, don't you know?
                          My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ and Righteousness --- not so much fallible man.

Comment

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ and Righteousness --- not so much fallible man.
                            That thar seems almost credibly, pardner.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Our Church is in the process of establishing an Elder group, in addition, and along side of, our deacons.

Recently, we had a lady join our church who appears to be very well grounded in the Word, and just seems to ooze wisdom.

She asked me, Sunday Morning between Sunday School and Church, if we were moving toward a 9Marks model.

I had never even heard of 9Marks, so I Googled it real quick (https://www.9marks.org/), and discovered it's a THING.

Later, I started drilling down on what 9Marks is all about, and it's nothing at all scary, and has a lot of good rationale behind it.

Anybody know anything about this?
                              Interesting. A woman oozing wisdom, no but really that and her approaching you so soon after joining and with such an odd question.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

Interesting. A woman oozing wisdom, no but really that and her approaching you so soon after joining and with such an odd question.
                                It really was rather innocent --- I have been talking about our transition from "Pastor and Deacon" to Pastor and Deacon Elder Ministry Team, and she just said something like, "oh, are you following the 9Marks model"? Something like that, I don't remember exactly, but she didn't bring it up as a primary concern or anything.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X