Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I'll be interested to hear you conclude about the ministry as well.
    Me?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't see anything wrong on their website, but I have a bit of a suspicious feeling about it, like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Seems a bit gimmicky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Reminds me of the way Rick Warren's Purpose Driven stuff spread. It's just another gimmick in my opinion.
        Yeah, we didn't do that, either -- or the whole Prayer of Jabez movement.

The principles themselves look strong, and since we're already "there", I have no need for their outline.

I was really curious if anybody else had heard of them, because I sure hadn't.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I didn't see anything wrong on their website, but I have a bit of a suspicious feeling about it, like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Seems a bit gimmicky.
          Me too... it's like the beginning foundaitons of a cult or something, but "all good" from the 50,000 foot view.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think we're doing a lot of right things for the right reason, and the fact that it may sound like an outline of the 9Mark stuff, I still get my marching orders from much a MUCH Higher Office.
            Mrs. CP?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Mrs. CP?

Her, too.

Comment

Me?
                Sorry. My brain sometimes runs faster than my fingers. What I meant is "I look forward to seeing what you conclude." Which seems so far, they're ok but if your following Scripture, you don't need their help.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

9marks is too easy to redirect, it seems.
                  The Wartburg Watch write up from 2017:
                  Then there's Together for the Gospel and The Gospel Coalition as well as Ligonier Ministries (and others) that promote Dever's 9Marks. Not only that, Christianity Today has recommended Dever's 9Marks several times in recent articles. With all this promotion, it's incredible to be reminded that the 9Marks have only been around for about 20 years.

Naturally enough - the source may not be kosher, and its assessment of the roles of wives and husbands may not be considered appropriate by some. (it provides a precis of both 9marks and its own teachings)

Mark Dever and 9Marks have a very strange understanding of submission. They demand it! This is so detrimental to the healthy functioning of a body of believers and to the health of a marriage. When a pastor teaches that a husband should expect submission from his wife based upon his office as head, he is causing division. In marriage, the husband is called to submit to the wife, just as the wife is to submit to her husband. He is to love her. Love is sacrificial and submissive. The beauty of a loving marriage is mutual submission. The husband is built up by the respect, nurture, and empathy given by the wife. The wife is built up by the respect, nurture and empathy given by the husband. They are together in Christ.

When women are treated as second class citizens at a church, or are kept separate from the men folk, problems arise in the body. I have witnessed an unloving spirit at the 9Marks churches I have attended. They lacked empathy. I think it was a direct result of the authoritarian teaching requiring submission to an office, whether to pastor/elder or husband. They improperly enforce gender roles.

ETA: Aaaand a follow up article from the same site, personal (anecdotatal) testimony. http://thewartburgwatch.com/2017/02/...d-with-9marks/
                  Good Lord! If I attended a church like that, it wouldn't be a month before I was expelled and a big Rom. 16:17 poster with my face posted on the door.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Good Lord! If I attended a church like that, it wouldn't be a month before I was expelled and a big Rom. 16:17 poster with my face posted on the door.
                    You would last that long? Wow!
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Sorry. My brain sometimes runs faster than my fingers. What I meant is "I look forward to seeing what you conclude." Which seems so far, they're ok but if your following Scripture, you don't need their help.
                      Yeah, maybe that!

Comment

OK - the nine points. Maybe work through them 1 by 1?

1/ Preaching: Preaching should be expositional.
                        2/ Theology: Doctrine should be sound, show right thinking about God, and be fully in accord with scripture. [(No Chalcedonian church has that last one.)]
                        3/ Gospel: Good news. What God has done to bring salvation to humanity.
                        4/ Conversion: "Conversion recognizes that only God can save, and that he saves individuals by enabling them to respond to the gospel message through repenting of sin and trusting in Christ."
                        5/ Evangelism: "Evangelism is simply telling non-Christians the good news about what Jesus Christ has done to save sinners and urging them to repent and believe.
                        1. Preach the whole gospel, even the hard news about God’s wrath against our sin.
                        2. Call people to repent of their sins and trust in Christ.
                        3. Make it clear that believing in Christ is costly, but worth it."
                        6/ Membership: Every Christian should make to attend, love, serve, and submit to a local church.
                        7/ Discipline: Includes training in righteousness and invoking penalties where appropriate.
                        8/ Discipleship: Developing individual holiness.
                        9/ Leadership: "each local church should be led by a plurality of godly, qualified men called elders."

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          OK - the nine points. Maybe work through them 1 by 1?

1/ Preaching: Preaching should be expositional.
                          2/ Theology: Doctrine should be sound, show right thinking about God, and be fully in accord with scripture. [(No Chalcedonian church has that last one.)]
                          3/ Gospel: Good news. What God has done to bring salvation to humanity.
                          4/ Conversion: "Conversion recognizes that only God can save, and that he saves individuals by enabling them to respond to the gospel message through repenting of sin and trusting in Christ."
                          5/ Evangelism: "Evangelism is simply telling non-Christians the good news about what Jesus Christ has done to save sinners and urging them to repent and believe.
                          1. Preach the whole gospel, even the hard news about God’s wrath against our sin.
                          2. Call people to repent of their sins and trust in Christ.
                          3. Make it clear that believing in Christ is costly, but worth it."
                          6/ Membership: Every Christian should make to attend, love, serve, and submit to a local church.
                          7/ Discipline: Includes training in righteousness and invoking penalties where appropriate.
                          8/ Discipleship: Developing individual holiness.
                          9/ Leadership: "each local church should be led by a plurality of godly, qualified men called elders."

I think the only one I might question is #9, in that there should be a pastor or lead elder or.... unless I misunderstand the "plurality of elders"....

And #1 - I would say "expository", but I'm sure it's the same intent.

And #7 -- a little too much focus on punishment, and not enough on restoration.

Comment

Anybody know why 9? Why not 7 or 10?

Am I missing something really obvious?

Comment

One person will identify 7 another might find 10 or 12. For mine, I would have presented preaching and gospel as sub-headings under one encompassing heading.

Also for mine:

1/ Whose exposition will always give rise to questions, so it is not really a basic issue. No real argument can be advanced in opposition.
                              2/ Again - no argument.
                              3/ Much too restricted a concept of what the gospel is.
                              4/ Horribly inadequate.
                              5/ Likewise.
                              6/ No argument - (I missed "commitment" from what should have been "make a commitment to")
                              7/ Discipline - An explicit reference to developing self-discipline is missing, though it can be inferred.
                              8/ No mention of dealing with and overcoming sin.
                              9/ A council of leaders, with a chairman, seems to have been the pro forma for the first Jerusalem church. (Note: I use "elder" to denote anyone in position of responsibility.)

Any number of churches could be completely derailed, whilst yet being able to conform with these marks.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Am I missing something really obvious?
                                I dunno, some kind of trinity of trinities super-perfection?
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X