Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

9Marks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 9Marks

    Our Church is in the process of establishing an Elder group, in addition, and along side of, our deacons.

    Recently, we had a lady join our church who appears to be very well grounded in the Word, and just seems to ooze wisdom.

    She asked me, Sunday Morning between Sunday School and Church, if we were moving toward a 9Marks model.

    I had never even heard of 9Marks, so I Googled it real quick (https://www.9marks.org/), and discovered it's a THING.

    Later, I started drilling down on what 9Marks is all about, and it's nothing at all scary, and has a lot of good rationale behind it.

    Anybody know anything about this?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Our Church is in the process of establishing an Elder group, in addition, and along side of, our deacons.

    Recently, we had a lady join our church who appears to be very well grounded in the Word, and just seems to ooze wisdom.

    She asked me, Sunday Morning between Sunday School and Church, if we were moving toward a 9Marks model.

    I had never even heard of 9Marks, so I Googled it real quick (https://www.9marks.org/), and discovered it's a THING.

    Later, I started drilling down on what 9Marks is all about, and it's nothing at all scary, and has a lot of good rationale behind it.

    Anybody know anything about this?
    First time I've heard of it.

    In any case, make sure you find out what she thinks it is.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      First time I've heard of it.

      In any case, make sure you find out what she thinks it is.
      She thinks it's a biblical model that includes elders as part of the leadership - that was her main focus.

      Baptists, of course, traditionally don't ulitize "elders", though "elders" are absolutely present in the early Church, and much is written about them.

      When she visited our Church, she assumed we were a "9Marks" Church, and we just HAPPENED to be looking into the possibility of utilizing elders.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does she want to be an elder?


        Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Does she want to be an elder?
          Absolutely not. She recognizes the biblical model of men as deacons, elders and pastors.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

            Absolutely not. She recognizes the biblical model of men as deacons, elders and pastors.
            Okay. I was kind of wondering if she was seeing this as a way for her to move into a position typically not open to her and was seeking for a church that would permit it.

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Okay. I was kind of wondering if she was seeing this as a way for her to move into a position typically not open to her and was seeking for a church that would permit it.
              Like I said, she kinda oozes wisdom -- she wants to see the Church being run according to the Bible, and the "9 Marks" listed (and I watched all 9 videos) seem to be a sincere desire to "do Church right". It sounds like the only thing she saw missing in our Church was "elders", and we were already in the process of considering that change.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Our Church is in the process of establishing an Elder group, in addition, and along side of, our deacons.

                Recently, we had a lady join our church who appears to be very well grounded in the Word, and just seems to ooze wisdom.

                She asked me, Sunday Morning between Sunday School and Church, if we were moving toward a 9Marks model.

                I had never even heard of 9Marks, so I Googled it real quick (https://www.9marks.org/), and discovered it's a THING.

                Later, I started drilling down on what 9Marks is all about, and it's nothing at all scary, and has a lot of good rationale behind it.

                Anybody know anything about this?
                https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/

                On the face of it, it looks to be utterly heretical. Perish the thought that churches adopt those principles - if they do, we might even see them producing disciples of Christ himself.
                sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tabibito View Post

                  https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/

                  On the face of it, it looks to be utterly heretical. Perish the thought that churches adopt those principles - if they do, we might even see them producing disciples of Christ himself.
                  Yeah, I included that link in the OP (well, you expanded it to show the actuall "marks") and couldn't find any problem with it.

                  I was wondering if there was a "rest of the story"... So far, I still don't see a problem.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

                    https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/

                    On the face of it, it looks to be utterly heretical. Perish the thought that churches adopt those principles - if they do, we might even see them producing disciples of Christ himself.


                    Here. You might need this to remove your tongue from your cheek.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                      Yeah, I included that link in the OP (well, you expanded it to show the actuall "marks") and couldn't find any problem with it.

                      I was wondering if there was a "rest of the story"... So far, I still don't see a problem.
                      That is why I said "on the face of it." I've heard similar before, and 9Marks has come up in conversation, though not in any noteworthy way.
                      The theory is sound enough, but what happens where the rubber meets the road? "The rest of the story" is what matters.
                      sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tabibito View Post

                        That is why I said "on the face of it." I've heard similar before, and 9Marks has come up in conversation, though not in any noteworthy way.
                        The theory is sound enough, but what happens where the rubber meets the road? "The rest of the story" is what matters.
                        Agreed, which is why I'm drilling down.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have 9 Marks on my bookmarks list. I got sent there when another ministry I follow referred to it in a positive manner. Haven't drilled down on it deeply but haven't seen anything that caused an issue for me, either.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

                          "Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            I have 9 Marks on my bookmarks list. I got sent there when another ministry I follow referred to it in a positive manner. Haven't drilled down on it deeply but haven't seen anything that caused an issue for me, either.
                            Thanks, TM.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OK, so this is interesting. 9Marks has a website that plots the locations of Churches who are using the 9Marks model.

                              One of those Churches is near me.

                              Their pastors (two men "co-pastoring") stopped by my office when I first moved to this town, and, after a short visit, I showed them the door and let them know they were no longer welcome at our facility.

                              So far, the only "black mark" I see is that the only 9Marks Church I actually know (only discovered this today by doing a search) has... um... "questionable leadership".

                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mossrose, 11-07-2021, 09:28 PM
                              146 responses
                              968 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post tabibito  
                              Working...
                              X