Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are the scriptures not considered more important in our church services?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    I'm curious about your distinction between value and ritual. Can you elaborate a little?
    My point is only that in the churches I have been involved in the original languages would not speak to the congregation directly or spontaneously. I do not see any down side to reading of scripture in original languages as part of a liturgical service. However I do not believe that there is any sort of infusion of Biblical messages except through reason and understanding of the language used. What I understood to be part of what the OP was suggesting with "in order to allow the word of God to speak to the congregation as directly and as spontaneously as possible." If that was not the intent then my response was not germane.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      My point is only that in the churches I have been involved in the original languages would not speak to the congregation directly or spontaneously. I do not see any down side to reading of scripture in original languages as part of a liturgical service. However I do not believe that there is any sort of infusion of Biblical messages except through reason and understanding of the language used. What I understood to be part of what the OP was suggesting with "in order to allow the word of God to speak to the congregation as directly and as spontaneously as possible." If that was not the intent then my response was not germane.
      OK. The idea in the OP (not mine, by the way, but I like it) is that the lector would be qualified to directly and 'spontaneously' translate the original scriptures using his or her own reason and understanding of the languages of the scriptures. The person from whom I originally heard this idea, and those to whom he was speaking, were all extremely capable in the original languages and every bit as capable as members of the translation committees that translate scriptures for publication. Obviously, this does not sound very realistic for most churches as they exist today, but the idea is that the churches should value the scriptures enough to make this so. As I understand it, this is presumed to have been the common synagogue practice at the time of Jesus or at least subsequently when the Hebrew scriptures were read initially in Hebrew and then translated spontaneously into Aramaic. Eventually, some of these Aramaic translations were standardized into targumim, ie, textual translations of the Hebrew which were still rather free in character, reflecting an oral, dynamic equivalent practice. The idea is that if it was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for us as well.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

OK. The idea in the OP (not mine, by the way, but I like it) is that the lector would be qualified to directly and 'spontaneously' translate the original scriptures using his or her own reason and understanding of the languages of the scriptures. The person from whom I originally heard this idea, and those to whom he was speaking, were all extremely capable in the original languages and every bit as capable as members of the translation committees that translate scriptures for publication. Obviously, this does not sound very realistic for most churches as they exist today, but the idea is that the churches should value the scriptures enough to make this so. As I understand it, this is presumed to have been the common synagogue practice at the time of Jesus or at least subsequently when the Hebrew scriptures were read initially in Hebrew and then translated spontaneously into Aramaic. Eventually, some of these Aramaic translations were standardized into targumim, ie, textual translations of the Hebrew which were still rather free in character, reflecting an oral, dynamic equivalent practice. The idea is that if it was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for us as well.
        While not valuing spontaneous translation during worship to the degree that you describe, my church tradition does require its pastors to be studied in Greek and Hebrew. Prospective pastors are required to construct a sermon which interacts meaningfully with assigned Bible texts in both languages, for instance, as well as providing documentation of acceptable courses of study in both.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
          While not valuing spontaneous translation during worship to the degree that you describe, my church tradition does require its pastors to be studied in Greek and Hebrew. Prospective pastors are required to construct a sermon which interacts meaningfully with assigned Bible texts in both languages, for instance, as well as providing documentation of acceptable courses of study in both.
          I put 'spontaneous' in quotes because I do believe one should prepare beforehand as rigorously as one can, and while some may want to prepare a written translation, I do not believe that one should not just read but actively engage the text and the community at the same time if one is able. I know some people memorize the text that they read so that they can maintain eye contact with the audience during the 'reading'. This takes the idea a little further and might suggest memorizing the text to be read in the original language to the extent that it is completely internalized. Anyway, for what it's worth, I would be interested in seeing this idea enfleshed to see if and how it might work in actual practice.

Comment

Thanks. A parent recommended me to the history teacher at the local public school and she asked me to come in and speak to her history classes that are currently studying ancient Greece. I'm working on the PowerPoint slides right now, in preparation for this Wednesday. Won't speak much about the Bible, of course, as it is a public school, but I do enjoy teaching kids, who are typically much more receptive to learning than adults, 'though every once in a while an adult cannot help but be converted as well.
            Had a really great time speaking with the kids who've been learning about Sumerians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians, and Greeks so far this year. Spoke about the development of the Ugaritic alphabet from Akkadian Semitic, and proto-Sinaitic from Egyptian hieroglyphics. Reviewed the most important archeological finds and looked at the text of Genesis 1 in Phoenician and then in Aramaic and Masoretic scripts and in the Septuagint translation. Also got to translate some of the Greek from the Rosetta Stone. The kids are surprisingly interested in learning everything, but the highlight of the classes was looking at the Hebrew and Greek etymologies of each of the kids' names. It's amazing how kids respond when they hear about the meaning of their names as they are written about in the Book of Life. A good time was had by all!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X