Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

PCUSA loses another big one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCUSA loses another big one

4,000 member church pays $2,000 per member for amicable separation from the PCUSA:

http://www.ministrymatters.com/all/a...to-leave-pcusa

I know a pastor in Pennsylvania whose church is currently looking for a way out as well.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I know that RTT's Church is in the process of leaving.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I read up on it a little but why exactly are people leaving PCUSA?
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          I read up on it a little but why exactly are people leaving PCUSA?
          Doctrinal differences as I understand it. the PCUSA as a whole is embracing very much more liberal ideologies and theologies that don't sit well with the more conservative branches of it.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

My general impression from afar has been that the biggest issue of all is the ordination of clergy involved in same-sex relationships.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              My general impression from afar has been that the biggest issue of all is the ordination of clergy involved in same-sex relationships.
              Interestingly, in the article, the church currently in question cites "Our presbytery passed a resolution supporting divestment from Israel" as one of their noteworthy grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                4,000 member church pays $2,000 per member for amicable separation from the PCUSA:

Why such a big sum of money?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  $8 million......most of that I'm guessing will be the building and assets.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

I'm not totally unsympathetic to divestment campaigns in general (in college, I was involved in some activism to get the university to divest from Sudan), but Israel hardly seems to be the most deserving offender out there. Speculating what the true agenda is there would be improper on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      The rule in that demonination is that even though the church's facilities are paid for with money from the local church, nevertheless ownership of the facilities is held by the denomination, so that if the church leaves the denomination, it must leave its facilities behind. In practice, that's been problematical to enforce. The denomination really doesn't want a huge, empty building, potentially with a huge loan payment attached to it. What it really wants is (1) control over the member churches, and failing that, (2) money for its other ventures. But what it gets is (1) bad blood when people feel forced to stay for reasons other than Christian fellowship, and (2) bad press when denominational ownership of local church assets is asserted on dubious moral and legal grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        As a former PCUSAer, the issue you site is just the most recent of a long string of issues that repeatedly split the church. Suggest some research as the history (starting in the 60's according to my parents with Angela Davis) is much to long for a posting here.

My take: the central office got more and more liberal and shoved positions down on the local churches which they couldn't take.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post

Great! This is an answer to prayer. MPPC has been trying to leave the PCUSA for a while now. I understand that they thought they had an agreement a few months ago, but the presbytery balked and raised the price tag.

P.S. this is probably one of the wealthiest congregations in the US, and is sitting on some very expensive real estate.
                          "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                            Great! This is an answer to prayer. MPPC has been trying to leave the PCUSA for a while now. I understand that they thought they had an agreement a few months ago, but the presbytery balked and raised the price tag. P.S. this is probably one of the wealthiest congregations in the US, and is sitting on some very expensive real estate.
                            Too bad Michael J. Fox couldn't have shown up in a Delorean back in the early 1970s, when there was a window of opportunity to leave the denomination without such payments. He could have talked to them about today

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X