Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Some churches cancel children’s Sunday school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some churches cancel children’s Sunday school

Pastor Scott Brown, director of the North Carolina-based National Center for Family-Integrated Churches and author of the book, said many of its close to 800 affiliated churches have either stopped or reduced traditional Sunday school classes.
    https://www.baptiststandard.com/news...sunday-school/

Originally posted by Chuckz View Post

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news...sunday-school/
    Many are having trouble conducting regular church services

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My take on that article is that it isn't just children's Sunday School: It's all age groups. That, and eliminating Children's Church during the worship service so that children can sit with their parents. This has nothing to do with the current pandemic, which has shut down many church functions.

Churches are gradually returning to conditions as they were a year ago. Hopefully those churches that previously still had Sunday School and Children's Church will restore them. And no just Zoom meetings, but actual classroom interaction.
      When I Survey....

Comment

After reading the link, I agree with the premise. I agree that the current Sunday school model has led to too many youth leaving the church. Sometimes, I think its just a baby sitting service. I don't recall growing a lot in my childhood Sunday School years. Having a more family oriented model which gets the parents to teach their children seems better. It forces the parents to realize what they really believe and gives the kids a good example to follow.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I assumed this was a Jonathan Aigner blog. One of his (many) pet issues that the entire church should sit together during the entire service, and no children's church.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As I think about it, having the children in church more is probably a good idea. Certainly, I would have and staff a nursery and probably something up to about age 12 or so. It's a long time ago now, but I seem to remember as I was growing up, Sunday School was before the service and by about 5th or 6th grade, I was expected to stay through the service instead of going to the nursery. Sure I didn't get everything that was going on but it helped.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I assumed this was a Jonathan Aigner blog. One of his (many) pet issues that the entire church should sit together during the entire service, and no children's church.
              I still struggle with that - mostly, at "what age" should children's church end - at some point, they need to be learning how to sit still in Church, but...
              • the fact is, that many times they are so disruptive the parents can't focus on worship
              • they may not be mature enough for the topics at hand
              • if you have a WELL DEVELPOED Children's Church - not just a babysitting service - they may learn more than than "in big Church"
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I still struggle with that - mostly, at "what age" should children's church end - at some point, they need to be learning how to sit still in Church, but...
                • the fact is, that many times they are so disruptive the parents can't focus on worship
                • if you have a WELL DEVELPOED Children's Church - not just a babysitting service - they may learn more than than "in big Church"
                As I said in the post I was posting while you were posting your post (how many posts would a Twebber post if a Twebber could post posts?), my memory from going up in about teen years I was expected to start going through the whole service. I still think that's a good age.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  As I said in the post I was posting while you were posting your post (how many posts would a Twebber post if a Twebber could post posts?), my memory from going up in about teen years I was expected to start going through the whole service. I still think that's a good age.
                  I think by the time they reach 1st or 2nd grade, they should have learned to sit in class in school.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think by the time they reach 1st or 2nd grade, they should have learned to sit in class in school.
                    Agreed. I'm not quite sure they have the educational maturity to learn from the service yet. Maybe more 4th grade?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Agreed. I'm not quite sure they have the educational maturity to learn from the service yet. Maybe more 4th grade?
                      That's why I'm still giving this a mull.
                      We had suspended Children's Church because of Covid, and have started it back up again.

I think a really good idea is to coordinate with the Children's Church leaders what's being preached in "Big Church" so the parents can talk to the kids on the way home from Church or at Sunday Dinner about what Sunday Morning was all about.

Comment

I suspect that "children's church" originated as a general concession by non-liturgical churches that children cannot reasonably be expected to sit still during a sermon which lasts 45 minutes or so, and which is mostly over their heads. I don't recall seeing children's church when I attended or visited liturgical churches.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And I wouldn't want the preacher to feel like he has to dumb down the content so as to keep the attention of younger people, or to have to throw in more pop culture references/etc. That sort of falls under your second point too. Ultimately, the preacher tailoring the message to the lowest denominator doesn't work. (Consider the book of Hebrews, written as an early church homily; it uses advanced logic/speaking techniques.)

The church I attended that closed in the pandemic took an interesting tack. Once a month, children's church would close so the entire church would worship together. But the kids were brought up mid-sermon for the preacher to directly address them on the topic being presented. I don't think it's a bad thing to have the kids in there for the entire service at least some of the time; it creates less of a separation between them and the greater church body.

I grew up in a mainline church more than an "Evangelical (TM)" Church, so I was not used to sermons being that long. I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of 45 minute sermons. I think sermons that long are a good thing, and probably not the best place for kids.
                          Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-18-2021, 11:47 AM.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And I wouldn't want the preacher to feel like he has to dumb down the content so as to keep the attention of younger people, or to have to throw in more pop culture references/etc. That sort of falls under your second point too. Ultimately, the preacher tailoring the message to the lowest denominator doesn't work. (Consider the book of Hebrews, written as an early church homily; it uses advanced logic/speaking techniques.)

The church I attended that closed in the pandemic took an interesting tack. Once a month, children's church would close so the entire church would worship together. But the kids were brought up mid-sermon for the preacher to directly address them on the topic being presented. I don't think it's a bad thing to have the kids in there for the entire service at least some of the time; it creates less of a separation between them and the greater church body.

I grew up in a mainline church more than an "Evangelical (TM)" Church, so I was not used to sermons being that long. I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of 45 minute sermons. I think sermons that long are a good thing, and probably not the best place for kids.
                            Yeah, our kids stay in "big church" with us for the first few songs, opening announcements, prayer.... then they come to the front and the pastor has a "sit down on the steps" talk with them - usually an object lesson or something, then after praying with them, they are dismissed to children's church.

A few years ago, one of my deacons came to me and said, "hey.... when you do thing where you're sitting on the steps talking to them.... you're not really talking to THEM, are you? you're talking to US!" I just leaned in and whispered "don't tell anybody".

Comment

The standard joke among us is "the preacher only works one day a week, and then he works WAY too long!"

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X