Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Methodists begin their split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I thought she was Anglican or something.
    So, pre-Methodist, so to speak.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Isn't our pot stirrer a methodist? I wonder what she thinks?
      Mossy? I think that would be hard to square with her being a big fan of John MacArthur.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

I thought she was Episcopalian.
        Ah yes. But they are having the same sort of problems, aren't they?

Comment

Ah yes. But they are having the same sort of problems, aren't they?

Ran across this, which seems pertinent wrt the division between liberal, almost secular churches, and those which are more traditional and focus on the message of the Bible (the latter, as noted, is thriving while the former continue to shrink)

Source: Clergy View: Play-Doh Christianity

"Play-Doh Christianity" is not true Christianity.

If you have children or grandchildren, you have probably had the opportunity to sit at the kitchen table with them and show them how to press Play-Doh into the mold of a star or a heart or a puppy. By applying enough pressure, the lump of Play-Doh will take on the shape of the mold.

That concept is in view in some of the biblical instruction to believers in Christ. For example, in Romans 12:2, the apostle Paul wrote, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." In 1 Peter 1:14, the apostle Peter similarly wrote, "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance." The English word "conformed" in both of these verses comes from a Greek word that means "to be pressed into a mold," like you would press Play-Doh into a mold to take on a certain shape. The teaching of Scripture consistently calls for believers in Christ to resist being conformed to the unbelieving world around them. If the beliefs and practices of Christians and Christian churches are merely a reflection of the unbelieving world around them, then something is wrong. Such "Play-Doh Christianity" is not true Christianity.

There are many ways in which Christians today are being pressured to think and live in ways that are in conflict with biblical instruction. Living out the often-repeated claim, "You deserve to be happy," will inevitably lead to making selfish choices that are not pleasing to God. The insistence, "You should love people not hate them," is often used to pressure others to accept and celebrate immoral lifestyle choices, as though it is impossible to both love people and not approve of everything that they do. The statements, "The majority of Americans now approve of it," or "It is now legal," are often used in similar ways. But is right and wrong determined by legality or popularity?

God made us to know, love and serve Him. He gave us His Word so that we can know how to do that while we live in a world that is broken and confused by sin. His ways are always best, even if His ways are unpopular. Those who are serious about living in a way that honors God will not look like the unbelieving world around them, and that is OK because there will not be an award in heaven for conformity. Jesus is looking for faithfulness, which is why He said, "Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10). When I get to the end of my life, I want Jesus to say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25:21, 23). How about you?

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Mossy? I think that would be hard to square with her being a big fan of John MacArthur.
            No, ke7ejx.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

No, ke7ejx.
              I can never remember her handle. We need to make her change it to "Pot Stirrer" or "Punkinhead"

Comment

I can never remember her handle. We need to make her change it to "Pot Stirrer" or "Punkinhead"
                I just call her Kiki.

Comment

Please! I never stir the pot!

I did, however, grow up in a denomination that is an off-shoot of the Methodist church. Left there when my daughter was 6 and my son was 9 because I couldn't reconcile some of the doctrine with scripture.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Please! I never stir the pot!
                    And the pope don't poop in the woods

Or something like that.

You are what they refer to in the southern Appalachians as a "puddin' stick."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, we're talking about Punkinhead. I gave her the title of pot stirrer.

ke7ejx
                      Technology Staff
                      "I am the Priestess of the Pot-Stirrers!"
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X