Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Methodists begin their split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methodists begin their split

Conservative Methodist churches have finally begun their split from the UMC, largely due to intractable divisions over LGBT marriage and ordination, something that has been in the works for several years but is constantly postponed (a bit like Brexit was).

Source: Conservative United Methodists Plan Breakaway Denomination

The new Global Methodist Church will leave the UMC regardless of the General Conference decision, which has been delayed until 2022.

Conservative United Methodists have chosen a name for the denomination they plan to form if a proposal to split the United Methodist Church is successful: The Global Methodist Church.

The Global Methodist Church unveiled its new name, logo, and website on Monday, days after the United Methodist Church announced it was once again postponing the May 2020 meeting that was set to consider the proposal to split.

That puts the likely launch of the planned denomination at least a year and a half away.

"Over the past year the council members, and hundreds of people who have informed their work, have faithfully and thoughtfully arrived at this point," the Rev. Keith Boyette, president of the Wesleyan Covenant Association and chair of the Transitional Leadership Council that is guiding the creation of the Global Methodist Church, said in a post on the WCA website.

"They are happy to share with others a wealth of information about a church they believe will be steeped in the lifegiving confessions of the Christian faith."

The United Methodist Church’s General Conference, its global decision-making body, is now scheduled to meet August 29 to September 6, 2022, at the Minneapolis Convention Center in Minneapolis.

Delegates are expected to take up a proposal to split the denomination called the Protocol of Reconciliation and Grace Through Separation.

The proposal, negotiated by 16 United Methodist bishops and advocacy group leaders from across theological divides, would create a new conservative "traditionalist" Methodist denomination -- that’s the Global Methodist Church -- that would receive $25 million over the next four years. Individual churches and annual conferences could choose to join the new entity; otherwise, they’ll remain in the existing denomination by default.

Calls to split one of the largest denominations in the United States have grown since a 2019 special session of the General Conference approved the so-called Traditional Plan strengthening its bans on the ordination and marriage of LGBTQ United Methodists.

At the time of the 2019 special session, Boyette’s WCA made clear it planned to split from the United Methodist Church if delegates to the special session had not approved Traditional Plan.

On its website, the Global Methodist Church says it similarly would move forward with a split if delegates to the General Conference meeting in 2022 do not approve the proposed protocol -- or if support for the protocol wanes in the intervening year and a half.

The website describes the planned denomination as a "new church rooted in Scripture and the historic and life giving teachings of the Christian faith" and emphasizes its desire to be a global church.

It also includes downloadable versions of a proposed Transitional Book of Doctrines and Discipline in multiple languages.

"True to our roots, we’re a patient and methodical people," Boyette said on the WCA website.

"We want to do our very best to help theologically conservative local churches, laity, and pastors navigate the transitional period as smoothly as possible. And then we look forward to the Global Methodist Church’s convening General Conference where we hope the duly elected delegates will find what we have done to be helpful. It will be their great task and responsibility to discern God’s will and so help all its local churches and people live fully into the body of Christ."

Already, one group of progressive United Methodists has announced it isn’t waiting for a vote to form its own denomination.

The Liberation Methodist Connexion launched last November with a virtual worship service and introductory presentation. The LMX -- which doesn’t expect members to leave their current denominations or faiths to join -- stresses action over doctrine and emphasizes the full inclusion of people of all gender expressions and sexual identities, races and ethnicities, mental and physical abilities, sizes and ages.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Global Methodist Church's logo was also revealed:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Actually, they're simply formalizing the split that has already been in full swing. But you knew that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Actually, they're simply formalizing the split that has already been in full swing. But you knew that.
      Kind of what I meant, but it seems to have been delayed several times and it appears they're done waiting what with the statement

the Global Methodist Church says it similarly would move forward with a split if delegates to the General Conference meeting in 2022 do not approve the proposed protocol -- or if support for the protocol wanes in the intervening year and a half.

I'm praying for the GMC, which if things continue on the current course will prosper, while more secular-minded, liberal churches, continue to flounder.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Kind of what I meant, but it seems to have been delayed several times and it appears they're done waiting what with the statement

the Global Methodist Church says it similarly would move forward with a split if delegates to the General Conference meeting in 2022 do not approve the proposed protocol -- or if support for the protocol wanes in the intervening year and a half.

I'm praying for the GMC, which if things continue on the current course will prosper, while more secular-minded, liberal churches, continue to flounder.
        Yeah, our local Methodist Church is in a frenzy because their woman pastor wants to move forward with the whole LBGTQSGN+++ thing, but a lot of the money people don't want to.

(I clearly don't believe "money" should be a factor in a church making principled decisions, but it's a fact of life that it often does)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Shouldn't the UMC be the ones changing their name? No longer United. The Divided Methodist Church would be better.

Comment

Yeah, our local Methodist Church is in a frenzy because their woman pastor wants to move forward with the whole LBGTQSGN+++ thing, but a lot of the money people don't want to.

(I clearly don't believe "money" should be a factor in a church making principled decisions, but it's a fact of life that it often does)
            Sounds like there may soon be two Methodist churches in town.

Comment

Isn't our pot stirrer a methodist? I wonder what she thinks?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Shouldn't the UMC be the ones changing their name? No longer United. The Divided Methodist Church would be better.
                FWIU, the Methodists have become one of the more liberal Protestant denominations. It'll be good to see that at least some can now get back to their roots and hopefully focus on more Christ-driven ministries.

Comment

Just another sign of the end of denominations as we know them. After preaching and teaching themselves into irrelevance, they'll now splinter into groups so small they won't matter anymore.

I wonder what the replacement is going to be for denominations. After all, this idea of grouping churches together under a higher structure is hard to find in the Bible. Yes there is the Peter and build my church phrase, but it's a stretch to me to get that as justification for the whole denominational structure (Roman Catholic Church included) we now have. What do you think? More independent churches? More smaller groups in a city or local region? Other?
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    Just another sign of the end of denominations as we know them. After preaching and teaching themselves into irrelevance, they'll now splinter into groups so small they won't matter anymore.

I wonder what the replacement is going to be for denominations. After all, this idea of grouping churches together under a higher structure is hard to find in the Bible. Yes there is the Peter and build my church phrase, but it's a stretch to me to get that as justification for the whole denominational structure (Roman Catholic Church included) we now have. What do you think? More independent churches? More smaller groups in a city or local region? Other?
                    The Baptists seem to be doing just fine without a whole lot of upper hierarchy.

Comment

I thought she was Anglican or something.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        FWIU, the Methodists have become one of the more liberal Protestant denominations. It'll be good to see that at least some can now get back to their roots and hopefully focus on more Christ-driven ministries.
                        Some of the great revivals in our Country were brought about my Methodist ministers.

Comment

Some of the great revivals in our Country were brought about my Methodist ministers.
                          Along with Welch's Grape Juice!

Comment

I thought she was Anglican or something.
                            I thought she was Episcopalian.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                              I thought she was Episcopalian.
                              Bingo.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X