Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrection

Now, I think we all know that a physical resurrection of the dead has been promised to us. Do you think most Christians even realize that it will happen? How big of an issue is it do you think for those who incorrectly plan on ditching their bodies for Heaven, rather than wearing a new body into Heaven?

Inspired by a post I read by a distant relative on Facebook recently.

I'll share my thoughts down thread.

Edit: If mods think this is more appropriate for Eschatology please move it.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

I'm not too sure about total numbers of Christians, but I think certain denominations and churches would have higher numbers than others for sure. I think a large number of people in my own Church (Orthodox) know that it will happen since it is highly emphasized around Pascha and in many Orthodox sermons. From my own experience, I don't think the general resurrection is emphasized a lot in many Protestant and evangelical churches. They certainly believe it, but it probably isn't as well known amongst the laity.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I'm not understanding... here's our statement from the Baptist Faith & Message....

Source: BF&M

God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.

© Copyright Original Source

Is there a distinction between our "resurrected and glorified bodies" and a "physical resurrection"?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm not understanding... here's our statement from the Baptist Faith & Message....

Source: BF&M

God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.

© Copyright Original Source

Is there a distinction between our "resurrected and glorified bodies" and a "physical resurrection"?
        I think what he's getting at is how some people think we won't have any bodies at all in heaven but will just be disembodied spirits floating around.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I think what he's getting at is how some people think we won't have any bodies at all in heaven but will just be disembodied spirits floating around.
          Ah... I don't know of ANY church I've been in (as a member or staff) where it was NOT preached that "we'll have a new body"... one of our favorite songs is...

on that resurrection morning when all the dead in Christ shall rise
          I'll have a new body, praise the Lord, I'll have a new life....

further, we believe that the "disembodied spirit" is a characteristic of demons, and sets them apart (among other things, of course) from angels.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses.

There is a slight difference CP, because as I understand it the saved will be raised in bodies just as you described that are still physical, in the pattern of our Lord's resurrection. OTOH those consigned to hell will be raised in their dry bones. All will be resurrected, but not all in like manner so to say.
            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

It is my understanding that genuine Christians NOW have eternal life. And the future "Adoption" is the resurrection of the body. (Romans 8:23.) When we see Christ (Acts 1:11, 1 John 3:2, Philippians 3:20, 21.)
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                Thank you both for your responses.

There is a slight difference CP, because as I understand it the saved will be raised in bodies just as you described that are still physical, in the pattern of our Lord's resurrection. OTOH those consigned to hell will be raised in their dry bones. All will be resurrected, but not all in like manner so to say.
                Ah, OK.... this is one area where I will clearly admit lack of knowledge --- I've often wondered about the folks who had organ transplants, or were totally consumed in fire, or other problems. I just trust that the Lord will "make it happen" one way or another, but, yes, a bodily resurrection is, I think, pretty commonly accepted in the Baptist world, at least.

Comment

Didn't Paul talk about why the physical Resurrection has to be true?
                  But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. 19If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied. 1 Corinthians 15:12-19 NIV http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/15.htm
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Didn't Paul talk about why the physical Resurrection has to be true?
                    Yes, I just don't know exactly what that looks like. And I have difficulty understanding if this isn't commonly accepted in evangelical circles.

Comment

Ah, OK.... this is one area where I will clearly admit lack of knowledge --- I've often wondered about the folks who had organ transplants, or were totally consumed in fire, or other problems. I just trust that the Lord will "make it happen" one way or another, but, yes, a bodily resurrection is, I think, pretty commonly accepted in the Baptist world, at least.
                      I also wonder if people with disabilities will have them cured in heaven or not. One could argue that Jesus says it is possible to enter with only one eye, but who knows?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I also wonder if people with disabilities will have them cured in heaven or not.
                        Absolutely.

Rev 21:[3]*And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. [4]*And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Comment

is the body in bodily resurrection a physical or spiritual body?

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                            is the body in bodily resurrection a physical or spiritual body?
                            I think physical, yes, but probably not in the same sense we are used to.
                            1 Corinthians 15:52 says that "the dead will be raised incorruptible".
                            Jesus Christ is "the first fruits" of those who have died (1 Corinthians 15:20, 23).
                            1 Corinthians 15:42 says that our "body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption."
                            Thomas, in John 20:27, physically touched the body of Christ following His resurrection, so He had a physical body.
                            Jesus preceded us in death, conquered it, and in Him we have the Hope of eternal life.

Comment

I think physical, yes, but probably not in the same sense we are used to.
                              1 Corinthians 15:52 says that "the dead will be raised incorruptible".
                              Jesus Christ is "the first fruits" of those who have died (1 Corinthians 15:20, 23).
                              1 Corinthians 15:42 says that our "body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption."
                              Thomas, in John 20:27, physically touched the body of Christ following His resurrection, so He had a physical body.
                              Jesus preceded us in death, conquered it, and in Him we have the Hope of eternal life.
                              Of course! There's no death or pain in the New Heavens and New Earth, which implies to me that our bodies will be different than the ones we have now. Invulnerable?
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment