Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Books on differing views of Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on differing views of Creation

Unsure if this is the correct forum for this topic.

I'm asking any of the members of TWeb if they know of good books to review the various different ways to interpret Genesis, their proofs, their difficult points, their references for further study, etc. Poetic interpretations, semi-literal interpretations, etc. I don't particularly care for a YEC interpretation, having left the camp long ago myself and being more than sure on my decision, but I won't refuse it as I might as well be thorough. I mainly ask this as I feel like it's long overdue time for me to be prepared to give an answer for my position to my family and friends who challenge me on this topic, as well as in case I need to correct any nonbelievers about altering views of the first book of the Scripture.

Also, any sources for defining faith as something other than "believing without proof?" I'd like to be able to convince some of my fellow Christians that that is a bad definition of faith, despite what certain special interest groups want.

The view I hold is an old universe and old-young earth view. I have no problem with the universe being 13.8 billion years old or older. I have no problem with the earth and the solar system being dated 4.54 billion years old. Yet, I believe in 6 days, rotations of the earth Genesis 1:3-. Sun becoming a star on the first day, and the Sun, Moon with the stars becoming visible on the fourth day (Do to the solar wind). I believe in a literal world wide flood.

Here are three web sites which can refer you to the kind of books you are looking for:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...tarlight-prove

http://www.reasons.org/articles/nota...th-perspective

http://www.icr.org/article/young-earth/

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Faith, so-called-blind-faith. Have you seen the moons of Jupiter? I have seen the 4 moons. I was taught as a kid that Jupiter had 12 moons. Today there are 67 (last time I checked) known moons.

Faith <snip>

1. Belief; the assent of the mind to the truth of what is declared by another, resting on his authority and veracity, without other evidence; the judgment that what another states or testifies is the truth. I have strong faith or no faith in the testimony of a witness, or in what a historian narrates.
    <snip>
    Last edited by 37818; 02-12-2014, 11:18 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Are you familiar with Hugh Ross? He has books on an Old Earth literal interpretation. He also has a web site http://www.reasons.org/
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I did a quick search on if there were any of the "Four Views" type books on this subject and I found something written about 15 years ago that is out of print now and may not even largely focus on where the debate has gone today. However, I think this recent book would be useful: http://www.amazon.com/Four-Views-His.../dp/0310499275 Despite the title, the book does have representation from the YEC, OEC, TE, and John Walton (whom I don't think takes a public position, saying it's a scientist's job, but he has good things to say on the topic). I haven't read the book but it has a good selection of scholars and is available on Kindle for less than $11.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A couple other quick hits: The site Jedidiah linked is a good one to learn about the Old Earth Creationist view. For a Young Earth Creationist view, check out the Answers in Genesis Website. For a Theistic Evolution view, there are tons of resources at http://www.biologos.org

As for your question about faith: Check this page out. http://tektonics.org/whatis/whatfaith.php
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That four views is roughly what I was looking for. Sadly, my main source for this type of discussion, Glenn Morton's site, is no longer online, and I'm scrambling a bit to find other sources to defend my views with. Especially since everyone I know, including myself, is very stubborn when it comes to views we hold.

Would you happen to know if this four views book holds any information on faithfully interpreting the first few chapters of Genesis as more poetic rather than literal? Glenn Morton still was somewhat literal in his interpretation (but neither YEC or OEC). If not, know of any resources on the subject?

And thanks for the link for faith. I actually ended up finding it while waiting, but thanks anyways.

Comment

I keep hearing that Walton's Lost World of Genesis is phenomenal. There's one called Origins that I haven't read yet, but it basically summarizes all of the origins and creation views in one book.

Comment

Reasons To Believe (org mentioned above) http://www.reasons.org/articles/four...eation-account has a brief overview of YEC, Day Age, Framework and Analogical Days.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by iTeluog View Post
                  I keep hearing that Walton's Lost World of Genesis is phenomenal. There's one called Origins that I haven't read yet, but it basically summarizes all of the origins and creation views in one book.
                  Walton's book is worth reading though it doesn't really wade into the issues of the differing views so much as it attempts to contextualize Gen 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Walton's book is worth reading though it doesn't really wade into the issues of the differing views so much as it attempts to contextualize Gen 1 and 2.
                    Well that sounds like a darnz good place to start, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by iTeluog View Post
                      For a taste of Lost World of Genesis and Here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My suggestion is little off the OP but related. I am hoping to provide an option to give you a more rounded answer. A friend (YEC) and I (undecided creationist) are working through Christoph Cardinal Schonborn's Chance or Purpose? While we don't agree with his more evolutionary position, we do appreciate the time he takes to explain the theology of being created beings in relationship to God. His thoughts on evolutionism as a philosophy are worth the read and may actually be more helpful in answering people. By way, this is small book that densely packed.
                        Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM. Reason: fix typos
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment