Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Next Great Awakening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Great Awakening

Many of us are praying for it. Several in my Church believe God will send one.

We - the United States - really desperately need it.

To many, it seems that conditions are getting to the point where it may well happen, but others seem to think our Country is too far gone.

How bout you? Are you praying for Revival? Do you feel hopeless that God will bless us with one?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

To many, it seems that conditions are getting to the point where it may well happen, but others seem to think our Country is too far gone.

How bout you? Are you praying for Revival? Do you feel hopeless that God will bless us with one?
    There seems to be an evangelical revival of sorts happening in New York:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/ny...-movement.html

Although, to be honest, I am very weary of "revivals"...I really just don't get them. Either a person is converted through the proclamation of gospel preaching and subsequent discipleship follows, or not. Revivals strike me as a short-lived flame that spreads rapidly, but who am I to speak against what could be God's doing? So I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by Scrawly; 07-10-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post

Although, to be honest, I am very weary of "revivals"...I really just don't get them. Either a person is converted through the proclamation of gospel preaching and subsequent discipleship follows, or not. Revivals strike me as a short-lived flame that spread rapidly, but who am I to speak against what could be God's doing? So I'll just leave it at that.
      Of course a lot of people are going to fizzle out... that's the parable of the sower right there. But think about the hippie revivals in the 60s. A good number of people who got swept up into it are still doing good work for Christ.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Although, to be honest, I am very weary of "revivals"...I really just don't get them. Either a person is converted through the proclamation of gospel preaching and subsequent discipleship follows, or not. Revivals strike me as a short-lived flame that spread rapidly, but who am I to speak against what could be God's doing? So I'll just leave it at that.
        Let's take a look at what a Revival is, though.... In order to be RE-vived, you first have to be "vived", or 'made alive' or 'saved'.

In a Great Awakening, the Church is revived, and it spreads to the lost who are converted by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I'm sure we'll refine this as we discuss it, but a "Great Awakening" is more than a "revival"....

And, I like to use the definition for "revival" as --- "when God's people get right with God's people, and God's people get right with God".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From the article you cited...

...The phenomenon is driven largely by immigrant-led churches that have proliferated in the boroughs outside Manhattan.

I have been saying for some time that the evangelistic efforts we (the US) spread to the rest of the world through missionaries, etc, just MAY be what God uses to bring it back to us. There are quite a number of conversions going on in Cuba, for example, where the people are very hungry for the Gospel. China has thousands of "house churches", and Christianity is growing there.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Of course a lot of people are going to fizzle out... that's the parable of the sower right there. But think about the hippie revivals in the 60s. A good number of people who got swept up into it are still doing good work for Christ.
            Be it good or bad () I'm pretty much a product of those 60's "Jesus Freak" movements.

Comment

Parable of the soils..........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

With God, all things are possible.

ALL THINGS.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

In the 60's and 70's it was cool to Talk about Jesus, and there were numerous conversions. There was also a kind of outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the Church. And there were the extremes. My parents were more or less products of the "Jesus" Movement in the late 70s and so are their friends and their music. I REALLY like Keith Green and The 2nd Chapter of Acts.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Agree the country needs one.

God will probably work local revivals. I'm not expecting a national revival for 50 to 100 years from now.

I use the book of Judges as my model for determining the flow of events. The US is still in the forgetting God stage and we have not yet really entered the oppressed stage (although I think its close to beginning). A generation or two really need to experience what it means to forsake God before they are ready as a nation to turn back. Hence the 50 to 100 years before I would expect a national revival.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

There's an interesting case study to be made of all the times God didn't do this. Take all the churches that St. John the Evangelist founded and taught? Not a single one of them remained, they all eventually converted to Islam. There are also many countries were Christian missions have been squashed by communism, or where the faith has been replaced by something else.

In my country evangelical Christians have been praying for a Third revival for a long time. It hasn't happened. Nothing would make me happier, and its part of prayer intentions, but I honestly think that God will look down on countries like Denmark and the US and whisper, no.

We - the United States - really desperately need it. ... To many, it seems that conditions are getting to the point where it may well happen, but others seem to think our Country is too far gone.
                      I don't think we Christians should stop evangelising the world around us. The Catholic Church will keep on, but I think we have to switch focus to also maintaining our own identity and to survive spiritually. We'll have to harden our approach, we can't make concessions to the world, and we'll have to unite in saying no to some things that are now perfectly legal. Unless an almost unimaginable turn around happens, Christians in the west, are going to become a minority. Small churches and sects, nestled inside the large cities, without much political influence.

I'm not hopeless Cow Poke, but my faith and devotion to does not ride on whether or not such a revival happens. If it happens, its a thousand times more than I expect, and a infinite amount larger than what we deserve, but God might still just grant it. If he doesn't, I know what my approach will be and it might involve moving as the number of Catholic parishes will dwindle.

Our Pope Emmeritus Benedict XVI wrote his thoughts and encouragements on this.

Source: Faith and the Future by Pope Benedict XVI

The church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning.

She will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices she built in prosperity. As the number of her adherents diminishes . . . she will lose many of her social privileges. . . As a small society, [the Church] will make much bigger demands on the initiative of her individual members….

It will be hard-going for the Church, for the process of crystallization and clarification will cost her much valuable energy. It will make her poor and cause her to become the Church of the meek . . . The process will be long and wearisome as was the road from the false progressivism on the eve of the French Revolution — when a bishop might be thought smart if he made fun of dogmas and even insinuated that the existence of God was by no means certain . . . But when the trial of this sifting is past, a great power will flow from a more spiritualized and simplified Church. Men in a totally planned world will find themselves unspeakably lonely. If they have completely lost sight of God, they will feel the whole horror of their poverty. Then they will discover the little flock of believers as something wholly new. They will discover it as a hope that is meant for them, an answer for which they have always been searching in secret.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment