Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Moral Implications of Christian Authors Using Ghostwriters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Implications of Christian Authors Using Ghostwriters

I was just thinking about this the other day....

Does anyone have any sort of feelings on Christian authors / pastors using 'ghostwriters', and then claiming authorship?

I think it would be clearly problematic if there weren't an agreement between that author and the ghost writer. I see your point, though, and maybe I need some clarification. If the work is mostly the ghost writer's, and independent of the Pastor's expertise, knowledge, experience, etc, I'd see a problem. However, I've actually done some ghost writing myself (nothing "big time") for others, and I'm basically just putting into words what they have difficulty expressing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's what some of the early apostles did.

Comment

As long as the assistance of a professional writer ia fully acknowledged then it is considered ethical and it is not "ghost" writing since the writer is known and not a "ghost". The need for acknowledgement and full disclosure has been an evolving ethical requirement in publishing over the past 15 years. Previously, this was less of an issue.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

That brings up the question I was not so effectively addressing.

Phat, Are there "Christian Authors" you know who conceal the fact that they used a "ghost writer"? I just checked a number of books in my library, and there seems to be a pretty common "in appreciation..." comment in the forward, or on the flyleaf, or something....

Can you give an example of what you would consider an offense?

Thanks
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll have to give my ghostwriter credit someday...
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              It's what some of the early apostles did.

I have heard this asserted several times before (though also disputed). If true, it would certainly make it difficult to demonstrate moral difficulty with the same practice today, especially as it is widely accepted (as robrecht points out).

I do not think this extends to academic work. Plagiarizing or hiring somebody else to write your dissertation is clearly wrong.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I do not think this extends to academic work. Plagiarizing or hiring somebody else to write your dissertation is clearly wrong.
                Yeah, and with the web tools Academia has at their disposal, "be sure your sins will find you out".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, and with the web tools Academia has at their disposal, "be sure your sins will find you out".
                  Even Martin Luther King, Jr. got caught doing it.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I have heard this asserted several times before (though also disputed). If true, it would certainly make it difficult to demonstrate moral difficulty with the same practice today, especially as it is widely accepted (as robrecht points out).
                    It is well-nigh undisputed that Paul used an amenuensis to write at least some of his letters. Depending on their working relationship, the scribe could more or less be trusted to put into writing the words Paul was speaking without verbatim taking down what he said.
                    Right. Your dissertation is not just graded on your research, but how well you are able to communicate your findings.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Cow Poke ghost writes all of my posts.

Comment

I ghost write all of Sparko's posts, but he would never admit that!

Comment

Cow Poke is the humblest, most lovable person in Texas. And his dog Jake too.

Comment

I actually put my name in the hat for "most humblest human ever". I should be a shoe-in!

Comment

The only problem is that the hat belongs to a pirate.

Comment