Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Youth Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    That's where I think the mistake starts. We try to attract kids with events and fun things - but while those have their place, that's not why we have a youth program - or ANY program. It gets to be all about numbers and we eventually lose even that.

Part of it to my mind is that we underestimate the kids. We assume they have no depth - so we never probe for it. Teens have weak to no relational ability outside their peer group (it's less we can't relate than they can't) so if you aren't looking, you aren't going to find that depth. We just assume they are all wading pools when in fact, a good many are already over their heads in the deep end. Event oriented programs don't give them the chance to grow.
    Teens today tend to get little opportunity to relate outside their peer group. They're segregated by age at school, often at church, and often at extracurricular activities as well. And families tend to be small these days, so they don't get much experience there, either.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Teens today tend to get little opportunity to relate outside their peer group. They're segregated by age at school, often at church, and often at extracurricular activities as well. And families tend to be small these days, so they don't get much experience there, either.
      Exactly!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Right. The tendency to segregate by age for cell groups/bible study groups/whatever you call it is a mistake (barring young children).

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Right. The tendency to segregate by age for cell groups/bible study groups/whatever you call it is a mistake (barring young children).
          Are you saying we should be grouped up with the adults?
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            Are you saying we should be grouped up with the adults?
            Yes.

Comment

Yes.
              Can you convince me why I shouldn't reject that idea?
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Well, I can't say for sure.

What could possibly be gained from breaking out of artificial age-segregated groups that tend to have shallow adolescent perspectives and peer-pressure enforced adolescent tendencies, practices, and values? What benefits could accrue from regular interaction with older people who have much more knowledge, wisdom and experience, or with children who possess curiosity and near-boundless energy? What good could possibly result from having one's perspectives broadened in such a manner?

Comment

Can you convince me why breaking it up into age groups was a good idea in the first place?

Comment

Considering that adult Sunday School lessons aren't any deeper or harder to understand than the ones in the youth group...
                    Maybe it should be segregated on deepness level! Like one class for milk, and another class for meat. And some classes go deeper than others! Too complicated?
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Considering that adult Sunday School lessons aren't any deeper or harder to understand than the ones in the youth group...
                      Maybe it should be segregated on deepness level! Like one class for milk, and another class for meat. And some classes go deeper than others! Too complicated?
                      I'm a both/and sort of girl. Sunday School should accommodate the 'devotional' side but should also BE A SCHOOL. Grouping by level rather than age makes better sense. Some age grouping for specific reasons, sure (toddlers in the nursery rather than trying to sit through two hours of Sunday School and church, yep; toddlers never allowed in church NO) but stop artificially segregating by age as if people are incapable of getting along with others of different ages.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Can you convince me why breaking it up into age groups was a good idea in the first place?
                        Having adults around won't stop kids from not caring especially if they aren't interested in learning in the first place.

Comment

Well, I can't say for sure.

What could possibly be gained from breaking out of artificial age-segregated groups that tend to have shallow adolescent perspectives and peer-pressure enforced adolescent tendencies, practices, and values? What benefits could accrue from regular interaction with older people who have much more knowledge, wisdom and experience, or with children who possess curiosity and near-boundless energy? What good could possibly result from having one's perspectives broadened in such a manner?
                          Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          By children I'm guessing you mean teenagers?

Comment

Having adults around won't stop kids from not caring especially if they aren't interested in learning in the first place.
                            If one is not interested in learning, there's not much that can be done for the person. Pandering to those who just want to be entertained by hosting games instead of learning sessions doesn't help them, and only hurts those who are interested in learning.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If one is not interested in learning, there's not much that can be done for the person. Pandering to those who just want to be entertained by hosting games instead of learning sessions doesn't help them, and only hurts those who are interested in learning.
                              Like what bookworm said adult sessions aren't that deep either,so how will grouping us with the adults fix the problem?

Comment

By children I'm guessing you mean teenagers?
                                Children that are slightly younger.

Like what bookworm said adult sessions aren't that deep either,so how will grouping us with the adults fix the problem?
                                As many others have noted the anti-intellectual problem tends to pervade the entire church. The solution for that therefore must lie in significantly altering the attitudes of the leadership.

Comment