Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Questions about manuscript evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
    Edited by a Moderator
    Yes, it was clearly translated that way to support atheists.
    Last edited by Bill the Cat; 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I am not a KJV Onlyist. First, my question in the OP were honest and it was answered in the manner that it was posted by others.

Second, I was only expressing how I feel about the NIV. Someone needed an explanation so I brought up the Duet 22:28-29 passage.

I didn't realized it after you guys admitted the passage was a mistranslation, and now you guys started accusing me of KJV Onylist which I am not.

But hey, surprised it went both way ain't it?
      Yeng Vg

Comment

Originally posted by AkByR64 View Post
        I am not a KJV Onlyist. First, my question in the OP were honest and it was answered in the manner that it was posted by others.

Second, I was only expressing how I feel about the NIV. Someone needed an explanation so I brought up the Duet 22:28-29 passage.

I didn't realized it after you guys admitted the passage was a mistranslation, and now you guys started accusing me of KJV Onylist which I am not.

But hey, surprised it went both way ain't it?
        Because the ones usually attacking the NIV as "liberal" are KJV-Onlyists who are entirely ignorant of the process of translation.
        The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
          Because the ones usually attacking the NIV as "liberal" are KJV-Onlyists who are entirely ignorant of the process of translation.
          And we've had a few KJVO types who were also geocentricists.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I am not a KJV Onlyist.
            Ok. I apologize for the accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
              I get as many translations as I can and go back to the Hebrew Lexicon to study it out for myself. I don't just rely on the KJV. I like it, but it's not the only one.
              Yeng Vg

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                And we've had a few KJVO types who were also geocentricists.
                I see. I am a advocate of Geo. I believe the bible taught it.
                Yeng Vg

Comment

I get as many translations as I can and go back to the Hebrew Lexicon to study it out for myself. I don't just rely on the KJV. I like it, but it's not the only one.
                  The NIV is still comparatively superior to the KJV in terms of translation.

I see. I am a advocate of Geo. I believe the bible taught it.
                  As a Christian, I must reject such a claim.
                  The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

One can reasonably attack the NIV as being a worse translation than usual (all translations having disadvantages of one sort or another). E.g. N T Wright has said that anyone using the NIV will never understand Paul. There are other problems as well. But accusing it of being "liberal" is typically a KJV-only charge. That why people assumed you were KJV only.

Comment