Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How Did Paul Get Christianity so Horribly Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm gonna take a stab at this... let's work through it.

Been thinking on this pretty hard, and thinking about the way I think about it, too.

I think what happens is that I expand the meaning of "pacifist" to include "passive-ist".... and when somebody talks about how pacifist Jesus was, it's like, to me, the "sissification of Jesus".
    He was a man - and a man of authority. When he fashioned a whip and drove the moneychangers out of the temple - that obviously was not pacifist. If he was teaching pacifism, He blew it by being a hypocrite to his own teachings. We know He wasn't a hypocrite. (At least, I hope we know that)

Let's look at the definition (or one of them) of pacifism -- the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

Now, looking at other definitions of pacifism, it exclusively addresses war or violence, and doesn't mention "all disputes being settled by peaceful means".

I think when pacifism is used on Tweb, most people (I'm guessing) intend that first part. I tend to look at that last part and include it in the meaning. In the case of the moneychangers, that wasn't a very peaceful means.

I also think that this attempt to make Jesus such a pacifist is an excuse to be a "do nothing Christian". Just being honest here. Jesus used action verbs - go, make, teach... and He said things like "you suppose I bring peace, but, no... division..."

Paul was obviously more militant than that, causing revivals or riots or both where he went. He was confrontational. He told Titus to be confrontational when he went to Crete. He wasn't just about sitting writing stuff - he got up and did stuff.

So, maybe the disconnect is my extended version of the definition of pacifism.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So Romans 13 is "historically wrong" because Sean doesn't like it?

Sean, do you do that with the rest of the bible? Just decide what parts you like and accept, and what parts you don't like and reject?
      I'll address this just this one time since it's getting off topic. In post #6, you agreed that the nazis made up the government of Germany. However, your solution for that problem was that the nazis were an evil regime. So you unwittingly admitted that Paul's statement can't be taken as literal face value for all governments by making the nazi government an exception to what Paul said. IOW, sometimes there are in fact evil governments that do wrong, contrary to what Paul said, and you clearly recognize that problem. Also, what constitutes a "good" government is often subjective. Look at the stark differences between right and left politics in western society as just one example. Moreover, unless you want to admit the origins of America is a spiritually illegitimate nation for violating what Paul said, then history shows that Paul's statement is not applicable to reality just based on how America was formed.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        I'll address this just this one time since it's getting off topic. In post #6, you agreed that the nazis made up the government of Germany. However, your solution for that problem was that the nazis were an evil regime. So you unwittingly admitted that Paul's statement can't be taken as literal face value for all governments by making the nazi government an exception to what Paul said. IOW, sometimes there are in fact evil governments that do wrong, contrary to what Paul said, and you clearly recognize that problem. Also, what constitutes a "good" government is often subjective. Look at the stark differences between right and left politics in western society as just one example. Moreover, unless you want to admit the origins of America is a spiritually illegitimate nation for violating what Paul said, then history shows that Paul's statement is not applicable to reality just based on how America was formed.
        Paul never said all authorities put into place by God were good. If the authorities are evil, they are abusing the powers God gave them. Like the Nazi's. Going around murdering its own citizens and trying to take over the world is an abuse of the authority given to them by God. They certainly are not God's servants, are they?

Comment

Paul never said all authorities put into place by God were good. If the authorities are evil, they are abusing the powers God gave them. Like the Nazi's. Going around murdering its own citizens and trying to take over the world is an abuse of the authority given to them by God. They certainly are not God's servants, are they?
          At the time Paul wrote that, the Roman empire was the empire of the world and Nero was emperor lol. Seriously, sparko, give it up dude.

Comment

At the time Paul wrote that, the Roman empire was the empire of the world and Nero was emperor lol. Seriously, sparko, give it up dude.

so again, you decide what parts of scripture to accept and what parts to reject? Is that it?

Comment

so again, you decide what parts of scripture to accept and what parts to reject? Is that it?
              As you did as well.

Comment

As you did in also.
                No. You did. You are saying that either Paul didn't write Romans 13, or that he was wrong when he wrote it.

The Roman Empire at the time was actually one of the most civilized and fair empires around, despite Nero. Nero was a evil and insane emperor who the Empire itself revolted against. Nero was evil and was not one of God's servants. He abused the authority he had and paid the price.

Comment

Do some research and figure out that at the time Romans was written, the Roman Empire wasn't trying to kill Christians and was still fairly okay as ancient governments went. God's standard trumps the government. If the government commands something that goes against God's standards, we should obey God rather than man.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    OK, I'm gonna take a stab at this... let's work through it.

Been thinking on this pretty hard, and thinking about the way I think about it, too.

I think what happens is that I expand the meaning of "pacifist" to include "passive-ist".... and when somebody talks about how pacifist Jesus was, it's like, to me, the "sissification of Jesus".
                    He was a man - and a man of authority. When he fashioned a whip and drove the moneychangers out of the temple - that obviously was not pacifist. If he was teaching pacifism, He blew it by being a hypocrite to his own teachings. We know He wasn't a hypocrite. (At least, I hope we know that)

Let's look at the definition (or one of them) of pacifism -- the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

Now, looking at other definitions of pacifism, it exclusively addresses war or violence, and doesn't mention "all disputes being settled by peaceful means".

I think when pacifism is used on Tweb, most people (I'm guessing) intend that first part. I tend to look at that last part and include it in the meaning. In the case of the moneychangers, that wasn't a very peaceful means.

I also think that this attempt to make Jesus such a pacifist is an excuse to be a "do nothing Christian". Just being honest here. Jesus used action verbs - go, make, teach... and He said things like "you suppose I bring peace, but, no... division..."

Paul was obviously more militant than that, causing revivals or riots or both where he went. He was confrontational. He told Titus to be confrontational when he went to Crete. He wasn't just about sitting writing stuff - he got up and did stuff.

So, maybe the disconnect is my extended version of the definition of pacifism.
                    This is not the definition of pacifism frequently used by theologians who advocate a pacifist approach or look at Jesus' teachings as pacifist. If you've got it handy, read John Howard Yoder's "Politics of Jesus" — Yoder did not see Jesus advocating a "do-nothing" approach ... in fact, he saw Jesus as taking the harder path of implementing a "power under" politic.

If you don't have it handy, send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll get you a copy from Amazon. If you're looking to develop an understanding of how Christian pacifists (well, Mennonites, anyhow) think on the issue, Yoder is still (I believe) the seminal work of the last 50 years.
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Paul wasn't using typology; his belief in Genesis is what he understood about the historical origins of mankind and thus applied it to his theology. Hey, if you're willing to admit Paul was wrong about his understanding of the origin of man and death, more power to you. In fact, I can respect that more than trying to weasel out of it and argue Paul didn't mean what he clearly did mean. If you can keep your faith intact with that glaring theological problem staring you in the face, then hey brother, you got faith of steel and I salute you. But I don't think even you could honestly put that problem on par with the problem of Romans 13 with a straight face.
                      So you're saying that my view is that Paul was simply wrong. Even if this was my view, how is that any different from your view?

Also, CBW is correct; at the time Romans was written there was no widespread persecution of Christians. Compare the early chapters of Revelation for Scripture written during an actual time of persecution (this isn't controversial even under a futurist view) The approach to empire is very different.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        So you're saying that my view is that Paul was simply wrong. Even if this was my view, how is that any different from your view?
                        You really can't be that stupid KG. Read post #12 again and there's your answer.

Comment

You really can't be that stupid KG. Read post #12 again and there's your answer.
                          As I said, that's the nature for typology. I'm curious why you don't think Paul's use of Adam constitutes typology.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

even evil like the Nazi's
                            Current western governments are more evil than the Nazis and Christians submit to them just fine.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              As I said, that's the nature for typology. I'm curious why you don't think Paul's use of Adam constitutes typology.
                              I think he's saying that you think Paul was wrong on an issue essential to faith while he thinks Paul is wrong on a side-issue.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                I think he's saying that you think Paul was wrong on an issue essential to faith while he thinks Paul is wrong on a side-issue.
                                It seems so but it's an ad hoc characterization since I still maintain everything Romans teaches is spiritually true, whereas he doesn't.

Comment