Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why does "religion" get such a bad name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    When one of the groups identifies with both labels? Hardly.
    That the label 'Christian' is incorrect doesn't change the fact that the groups have almost always been distinct, whether in Central America, Africa, or Asia, which is why you get lots of people from many cultures making this basic distinction between 'Catholics' and 'Christians'.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      That the label 'Christian' is incorrect doesn't change the fact that the groups have almost always been distinct, whether in Central America, Africa, or Asia, which is why you get lots of people from many cultures making this basic distinction between 'Catholics' and 'Christians'.
      Of course the groups have always been distinct. I'm disputing the accuracy of the labels, not the distinction between the groups.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course the groups have always been distinct. I'm disputing the accuracy of the labels, not the distinction between the groups.

Then why on earth did you say that it was "hardly" a sound distinction? It is perfectly clear from the context which two groups the labels refer to.

Originally posted by Paprika
        It is a perfectly sound distinction between two groups with distinct sets of praxis and beliefs, and who don't tend to interact much with each other, and have historically tended to segregate.
        When one of the groups identifies with both labels? Hardly.
        Last edited by Paprika; 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Then why on earth did you say that it was "hardly" a sound distinction? It is perfectly clear from the context which two groups the labels refer to.
          It is not a sound distinction because one of the labels applies equally to both groups.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It is not a sound distinction because one of the labels applies equally to both groups.

The distinction is between two groups of people. You would be better served not quibbling 'but but but the labels of one of the group is inaccurate ' and instead considering the massive problem the obvious disunity of the church poses not least in the field of evangelism.

Comment

The distinction is between two groups of people. You would be better served not quibbling 'but but but the labels of one of the group is inaccurate ' and instead considering the massive problem the obvious disunity of the church poses not least in the field of evangelism.
              Without both groups acknowledging each other as Christian, which would necessitate a change in labels, the disunity is going to persist.

sigpic

Comment

Without both groups acknowledging each other as Christian, which would necessitate a change in labels, the disunity is going to persist.

The labels - 'Christians' as opposed to 'Catholics' - are the inaccurate ones that are given by people that are virtually all outsiders.

How one groups labels the other is another matter altogether.

Comment

The labels - 'Christians' as opposed to 'Catholics' - are the inaccurate ones that are given by people that are virtually all outsiders.

I am surprised there are many people that consider Catholics to be not Christian. To be sure, it is theoretically possible that groups can be ranked from "Not at all Christian" to "100% Christian (or the closest to the ideal Christian group)." MAYBE Catholics are somewhat near the bottom for "Christian" groups, but maybe they should still be considered Christian.
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    I am surprised there are many people that consider Catholics to be not Christian.
                    You misunderstand. These people are outsiders that don't know the technical definitions of 'Christians' that have been debated in theology.

It would be like if a person ignorant of Muslim theology and history labels the Shia "Shia" and the Sunnis and the rest "Muslims". I repeat, the label may be inaccurate but what is the point is the outsider's notice of the division between the groups, not whether the labels are completely accurate.

Comment

In my case, with respect to the Catholic vs Christian issue, the persons making that distinction were the Haitians who had experienced some of each. They had experienced some bad aspects of the Catholic religion, and some good aspects of non-Catholic missionaries and aid workers, whom they called "Christians".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That IS how one group labels the other in my experience (Dominican Republic) and Cow Poke's (Haiti); I suspect it's much the same in South America in general.

sigpic

Comment

That IS how one group labels the other in my experience (Dominican Republic) and Cow Poke's (Haiti); I suspect it's much the same in South America in general.
                          In the case of Haiti, there's the element of Voodoo, which the Catholics supposedly mixed with Catholicism to control the people. (I don't know if that's true, but it was the reason given to me by the Haitians)
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I read Cow Poke's post re: Haitians and Czechs as regarding labelling by outsiders, which matches my own experience in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              In the case of Haiti, there's the element of Voodoo, which the Catholics supposedly mixed with Catholicism to control the people. (I don't know if that's true, but it was the reason given to me by the Haitians)
                              I suspect the more likely scenario is that many converts, who may have been coerced into Catholicism, kept some of their native (voodoo) practices alongside it.

sigpic

Comment