Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Old & New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old & New World

We as humans have come a long way. There have been tremendous and wonderful advances in pretty much every area of human endeavor. The biblical authors would be in for quite the shock if they were exposed to our "new world", as they were part of the "old world".

My question is, to what extent was the "old world" reflected in the Biblical text? Is there any critical information/(world)views in the biblical text that we should consider outmoded and strictly relegated to the "old world"?
    Last edited by Scrawly; 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      We as humans have come a long way. There have been tremendous and wonderful advances in pretty much every area of human endeavor. The biblical authors would be in for quite the shock if they were exposed to our "new world", as they were part of the "old world".

My question is, to what extent was the "old world" reflected in the Biblical text? Is there any critical information/(world)views in the biblical text that we should consider outmoded and strictly relegated to the "old world"?
      I originally wrote sin, until I saw you had written views and information, and not merely something belonging to the old world. Definitely sin is outdated, we ought to be way past it. Old habits die hard.

Comment

There are references to the "evil eye" within the Bible, and I think most people would put that as part of the "old world". Bruce Malina expands on this in great detail in one of his books I had to read last semester.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          There are references to the "evil eye" within the Bible, and I think most people would put that as part of the "old world". Bruce Malina expands on this in great detail in one of his books I had to read last semester.
          What's the scripture reference for the "evil eye"?

Comment

How about the 3-tiered cosmos?

"Wayne Horowitz has chronicled Mesopotamian texts that illustrate this multi-leveled universe among the successive civilizations of Sumer, Akkad, Babylonia, and Assyria. The heavens above were further subdivided into “the heaven of Anu (or chief god)” at the very top, the “middle heavens” below him and the sky. In the middle was the earth’s surface, and below that was the third level that was further divided into the waters of the abyss and the underworld.

Let’s take a look at the Scriptures that appear to reinforce this three-tiered universe so different from our modern understanding of expanding galaxies of warped space-time, where the notion of heaven and hell are without physical location. Though the focus of this essay will be on Old Testament context, I want to start with the New Testament to make the point that their cosmography did not necessarily change with the change of Old to New Covenants. (See Phil. 2:10, Rev. 5:3, 13,,Ex. 20:4, Matt. 11:23)".

Source: http://biologos.org/blog/mesopotamia...e-bible-part-3

Comment