Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

George Yancey on the use of the term "Bible thumper"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Yancey on the use of the term "Bible thumper"

His basic argument is that the term is a slur and that it should not be socially acceptable to use it.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackwh...bible-thumper/

I've also expressed unease about the term "fundy". I'm not against all usage; "fundamentalist" is a legitimate theological perspective that can be discussed, but just using it as a casual insult is problematic.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    His basic argument is that the term is a slur and that it should not be socially acceptable to use it.

I've also expressed unease about the term "fundy". I'm not against all usage; "fundamentalist" is a legitimate theological perspective that can be discussed, but just using it as a casual insult is problematic.
    Does he really think he can use Political Correctness to Christian ends without it backfiring massively? What kind of idiotic "if you can't beat them, join them" strategy is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Does he really think he can use Political Correctness to Christian ends without it backfiring massively? What kind of idiotic "if you can't beat them, join them" strategy is this?
      You are rushing to equate basic human courtesy to hyperpoliticized Political Correctness fights.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You are rushing to equate basic human courtesy to hyperpoliticized Political Correctness fights.
        No, it is the Politically Correct that rush to paint themselves as being courteous:

Bible-Thumper is a religious epithet on par with the term “raghead” for Muslims. It is a term that should be retired in polite company and should not be used in televised public discussions....As such, it should not be controversial to call for a stigmatization of the use of the term “Bible-Thumper” and put that term in the garbage bin of terms no longer used on air or among people who want to be seen as having some degree of class.
        After being exposed to the term "Bible-Thumper" the author experienced feelbad and can't bear to rationally listen and evaluate or dialogue so he is attempting to create environments where he will have sufficiently feelgood to engage in conversation with others of different persuasions:
        Regardless of the arguments the speaker was making, he lost me once he said “Bible-Thumper."
        One of the main problems with such derogatory terms is that they prevent us from having a productive conversation with each other. I remember sitting in a graduate school class when the instructor causally called a group of conservative Christians “Bible-Thumpers.” As a Christian, I looked around the class to see if anyone would challenge her. It was not just that no one spoke up against the insult. As I looked at the faces of my peers, it was clear that this was just a term to use with no repercussions or stigma. As a Christian it was reinforced to me that I did not have a place in that conversation, and as a student I had no institutional power to confront that reality. Insulting others does not aid our conversations, it shuts conversations down.
        Last edited by Paprika; 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

In my opinion and depending on context, if anyone calls me a bible thumper I'd probably wear the designation as a badge of honor, rather than view it as something negative.

Comment

No, it is the Politically Correct that rush to paint themselves as being courteous:

After being exposed to the term "Bible-Thumper" the author experienced feelbad, so he is attempting to create environments where he will have sufficiently feelgood to engage in conversation with others of different persuasions.
            Or he was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those who hold similar treatment of Christians and similar treatment of Muslims to higher standards.

Comment

Or he was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those who hold similar treatment of Christians and similar treatment of Muslims to higher standards.
              "Simply"? He can't even rationally engage when he hears a 'slur' against Christians; with respect to this kind of irrational hypersensitivity he is no different from the SJWs.

Regardless of the arguments the speaker was making, he lost me once he said “Bible-Thumper."
              I remember sitting in a graduate school class when the instructor causally called a group of conservative Christians “Bible-Thumpers.” As a Christian, I looked around the class to see if anyone would challenge her. It was not just that no one spoke up against the insult. As I looked at the faces of my peers, it was clear that this was just a term to use with no repercussions or stigma. As a Christian it was reinforced to me that I did not have a place in that conversation, and as a student I had no institutional power to confront that reality.
              Last edited by Paprika; 04-04-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I would call his reactions neither irrational nor hypersensitive; your characterization of them as such seems unwarranted and calculated to dismiss. I'm also uninterested in again hashing out this same argument that has spilled across numerous threads in the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by George Yancey
                  I would call his reactions neither irrational nor hypersensitive.
                  I would like to know how on earth this reaction is neither irrational nor hypersensitivity, but since you don't want to engage I fear we shall never know.

Comment

I would like to know how on earth this reaction is neither irrational nor hypersensitivity, but since you don't want to engage I fear we shall never know.
                    I don't intend to drop out of the thread. I mean I'd rather stick to the article rather than debate political correctness per se (since that's been discussed enough elsewhere). Seeing one's group misrepresented in a well-poisoning manner is, in effect, an attack on one's own group identity as it defines said group on the terms of the opponent (in this case, the characterization is of Christians as ignorant and insular). A negative reaction seems warranted.

Comment

Seeing one's group misrepresented in a well-poisoning manner is, in effect, an attack on one's own group identity as it defines said group on the terms of the opponent (in this case, the characterization is of Christians as ignorant and insular). A negative reaction seems warranted.
                      Indeed a negative reaction is warranted, but don't stop there. Is refusing to listen warranted once the other side has used a slur? Hardly.

Comment

Indeed a negative reaction is warranted, but don't stop there. Is refusing to listen warranted once the other side has used a slur? Hardly.
                        I see the angle you're taking now. I suspect what is going on here in many cases is that the person will thus dismiss the person as disingenuous as a whole on that particular topic.

Comment

I see the angle you're taking now. I suspect what is going on here in many cases is that the person will thus dismiss the person as disingenuous as a whole on that particular topic.
                          Irrational and hypersensitive.

"Regardless of the arguments the speaker was making, he lost me once he said “Bible-Thumper." And he's supposed to be a professor. Good grief.

Comment

Just to chime in a little, I've had people call me a Bible-Thumper intending insult, and if it is socially acceptable then it may be used as a short hand to poison the well of Christian positions in arguments. It's use reveals a distinct anti-Christian bias.
                            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                              Just to chime in a little, I've had people call me a Bible-Thumper intending insult, and if it is socially acceptable then it may be used as a short hand to poison the well of Christian positions in arguments.
                              Plenty of insults are socially acceptable and can be used to poison wells.

Comment