Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Age of accountability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    I see no reason to believe in just one 'age' except for ill-considered simplification. It would seem more natural that as humans mature in understanding they are thereby aware of and thus responsible for more and more sins.
    I don't know that people dogmatically hold to an individual "age" so much as they use the name as a stand-in for a general understanding of a threshold of responsibility.

Those who espouse Sola Scriptura tend to be a unceasing source of irony.
    That's a whole different thread...
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I don't know that people dogmatically hold to an individual "age" so much as they use the name as a stand-in for a general understanding of a threshold of responsibility.
      You can replace 'age' with 'threshold' in my post and nothing much changes.

That's a whole different thread...
      Come on, that shot was practically obligatory

Comment

Incidentally, going back to the mention of David and the loss of his son... nowhere is it recorded that God endorsed what he said; just that this is what David believed would happen (and I think the "grave" translation is probably more likely anyway).
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Job said repeatedly that he would have been better off dying as a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            That seems like a rhetorical cry that all that he had gained in his earthly life was useless and not a hard theological proposition.

Comment

The clear primary sense is that he would have been better off because he wouldn't have suffered as he was suffering but instead resting with the dead, which has nothing to do with age of accountability.

Comment

Moderator's note: 37818 has permission to post in this thread.

Comment

Moderator's note: 37818 has permission to post in this thread.
                  There goes the neighborhood!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Incidentally, going back to the mention of David and the loss of his son... nowhere is it recorded that God endorsed what he said; just that this is what David believed would happen (and I think the "grave" translation is probably more likely anyway).
                    This is true, but that's the only scripture that I can think of that could be pressed into the service of teaching infants go to heaven automatically if they die.
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Everything else that Job said was hard theological propositions, and God ultimately agreed that Job spoke correctly. Furthermore, this premise that you all keep using that people believed in the consciousless "grave" sounds like the Jehovah's Witness soul sleep heresy.

Comment

And why would 37818 need anyone's permission

Comment

An otherwise obscure Biblical basis for an age of accountabilty.

"But Jesus said, Allow little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." -- Matthew 19:14.

First, God's kingdom is for "little children."

Second, Jesus did teach, "Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein." -- Mark 10:15. For which reason Jesus said to Nicodemus, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." -- John 3:3.

Now the word, "little children."

Jairus' daughter was called a "little daughter" Mark 5:23. The same Greek ending for child, meaning little children. And she was said to be 12 years old (v.42). So this account is one place where the age of 12 comes from.

Also I agree with both
                          Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          . . .
                          and
                          Originally posted by CP View Post
                          . . .
                          comments
                          Last edited by 37818; 03-27-2015, 11:39 PM.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

And why would 37818 need anyone's permission
                            He's considered unorthodox now.

Comment

Everything else that Job said was hard theological propositions, and God ultimately agreed that Job spoke correctly. Furthermore, this premise that you all keep using that people believed in the consciousless "grave" sounds like the Jehovah's Witness soul sleep heresy.
                              Do you consider annihilationism to be heresy? I'm not one, but KG is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                Do you consider annihilationism to be heresy? I'm not one, but KG is.
                                Yeah, I don't agree with the idea, but I wouldn't call it a heresy. It's not an essential.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment