Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

He's Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's Back

When Jesus returns to earth, what exactly will that look like? According to Scripture he will descend from heaven, and I'm just trying to visualize this.

I don't want to get into any eschatological discussions here as that topic is beyond the scope of this thread. I am simply interested in what the bodily return of Christ will look like from the standpoint of those dwelling on earth. Will everyone see him return at the same time (Matt. 24:27)? How will that be possible? Will people be watching this on television as it unfolds? These are the sort of questions I would like to see explored.

I never really thought about it. I guess I would imagine it like the movie Independence Day. But without Will Smith.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

As I understand Matthew 24:27, it will be very sudden like the flash of lighting. So the reading "soon" (Rev 22:20) and "shortly" (Rev 1:1) should really read "suddenly." So only in that way could everyone in heaven, earth and hades see Him in very very short order at His return (Rev 1:7).
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

OK, but none of this really answers my question. Jesus will appear suddenly, that's fine. Now how will this physically look to people in say Japan and Argentina, when Jesus descends from heaven on a patch of land, bodily. How will this affect the people who are say driving on a freeway on the other side of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          OK, but none of this really answers my question. Jesus will appear suddenly, that's fine. Now how will this physically look to people in say Japan and Argentina, when Jesus descends from heaven on a patch of land, bodily. How will this affect the people who are say driving on a freeway on the other side of the world?
          The Bible says nothing about it.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The Bible says nothing about it.
            Right, but curiosity has me wondering how this will play out. I know no one can be 100% sure because as you said, the Bible doesn't say, yet that shouldn't stop us from coming up with a viable description of how one of the most important events ever will possibly and probably look like.

Comment

Right, but curiosity has me wondering how this will play out. I know no one can be 100% sure because as you said, the Bible doesn't say, yet that shouldn't stop us from coming up with a viable description of how one of the most important events ever will possibly and probably look like.
              I guess the question would be, what would need to happen for everyone to notice the event no matter where they are? I think "light" is the answer. A bright enough light can be seen almost anywhere.
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                I guess the question would be, what would need to happen for everyone to notice the event no matter where they are? I think "light" is the answer. A bright enough light can be seen almost anywhere.
                Interesting, so an extremely bright light will envelop all humanity including those driving at high speeds, those underground, those perhaps on Mars (the upcoming expedition), etc. Then what will happen after that?
                Last edited by Scrawly; 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Interesting, so an extremely bright light will envelop all humanity including those driving at high speeds, those underground, those perhaps on Mars (the upcoming expedition), etc. Then what will happen after that?
                  I think so. Since this will be a truly cosmic event, a large cosmic bright light would be hard to miss. Even on other planets. What would happen then I am not sure. Revelation also speaks a lot about light and thundering upon his return. It also speaks of him being accompanied by the angels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                    I think so. Since this will be a truly cosmic event, a large cosmic bright light would be hard to miss. Even on other planets.
                    Wouldn't this light cause a lot of traffic accidents? Or would the vehicles miraculously be stalled? Would this apply to airplanes as well?

What would happen then I am not sure. Revelation also speaks a lot about light and thundering upon his return. It also speaks of him being accompanied by the angels.
                    Right, so let's say thunder, lightning, and angels accompany his arrival and he bodily lands in Jerusalem. Will the people in Japan and other countries (and potentially on other planets) around the world slowly start making their way over to Jerusalem? Will Jesus be merely standing and essentially waiting for all humanity to gather around him?
                    Last edited by Scrawly; 02-25-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly
                      Wouldn't this light cause a lot of traffic accidents? Or would the vehicles miraculously be stalled? Would this apply to airplanes as well?
                      I am sure there will be traffic accidents. I think human reactions will stay the same. Someone looking up while driving won't be a good idea lol. I don't think the light has to be blinding so airplanes would be safe.

Originally posted by Scrawly
                      Right, so let's say thunder, lightning, and angels accompany his arrival and he bodily lands in Jerusalem. Will the people in Japan and other countries (and potentially on other planets) around the world slowly start making their way over to Jerusalem? Will Jesus be merely standing and essentially waiting for all humanity to gather around him?
                      That is the reason why I was semi-joking about Independence Day. Since I believe human reactions will stay the same, we will respond as if it were an other worldly invasion. Since it would be. Sending people to see what is going on would be my guess. How the Lord gathers his people toward him I am not sure.

Comment

Isn't he supposed to return after the tribulation or the vials and bowls? Reading Revelation it seems that the world will have a lot of problems around then, and the armies are supposed to be gathered at Jerusalem. Jesus appears and defeats them all. Maybe there won't be anyone alive elsewhere on earth? Or maybe they will see it on TV? Or maybe it will be some holographic display in the sky? Who knows?
                        Rev 19:16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

king of kings and lord of lords.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, “Come, gather together for the great supper of God, 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, great and small.”

19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Isn't he supposed to return after the tribulation or the vials and bowls? Reading Revelation it seems that the world will have a lot of problems around then, and the armies are supposed to be gathered at Jerusalem. Jesus appears and defeats them all. Maybe there won't be anyone alive elsewhere on earth? Or maybe they will see it on TV? Or maybe it will be some holographic display in the sky? Who knows?
                          Rev 19:16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

king of kings and lord of lords.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, “Come, gather together for the great supper of God, 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, great and small.”

19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.
                          I guess you also have to take into account whether you have a preterist view or not for these verses.

Comment

OK so far we have the view that Jesus will be more-or-less standing in glory waiting (presumably for a very long time) as the entire earth's population and perhaps dwellers on Mars make their way toward him; and/or having this event televised and people sitting around watching Jesus on TV (I think saying feverish prayers would be a better option, perhaps). It was also said that perhaps there will be a holographic display in the sky. Interesting..

PS: It looks like I will need to highlight again that the purpose of this thread is not to discuss eschatology or debate end-time verses, but rather what the appearing of Jesus will visually look like from the perspective of the inhabitants on earth and the unfolding of events immediately after Jesus' touches Terra Firma.

Comment

OK so far we have the view that Jesus will be more-or-less standing in glory waiting (presumably for a very long time) as the entire earth's population and perhaps dwellers on Mars make their way toward him; and/or having this event televised and people sitting around watching Jesus on TV (I think saying feverish prayers would be a better option, perhaps). It was also said that perhaps there will be a holographic display in the sky. Interesting..

PS: It looks like I will need to highlight again that the purpose of this thread is not to discuss eschatology or debate end-time verses, but rather what the appearing of Jesus will visually look like from the perspective of the inhabitants on earth and the unfolding of events immediately after Jesus' touches Terra Firma.
                              I don't think Christ needs to stand around. I doubt he will be twiddling his thumbs while he waits for people to notice him. I guess my view can be summed up this way; Christ returns, everyone sees it, people try to make contact like people want to do, etc. I have no real firm opinion on it since I don't think too much about it.

Comment