Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A POLITE Discussion about Singing Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    I just dont see angels being covered in eyeballs. That has to be representative. perhaps of them seeing everything.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That was my first question.
    Yeah, I missed it, til I went back to figure out what the heck you were talking about. My bad.

They are either a higher form of angel, or something different, because it mentions the angels and the four living creatures as seperate in some places. And there are only 4 of them.
    It would be much easier if there were something like "the 4 beasts and the OTHER angels" - but they appear to be named separately, yes.

But they seem to be the same as what Ezekiel saw.

Then again, revelation is a vision and a lot of the stuff John saw was representations of things. Apocalyptic imagery.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Are not angels 'living beings'?
    I have no reason to doubt that they are.

You still have not defined what is and is not an angel.
    That would be silly of me, since I have repeatedly said I don't know.

Do you think that the creatures in Revelation are not intended to allude to the same seraphim in Isaiah 6?
    I don't know. In the OT, the creatures, which are called Seraphim, "call", and we'd have to force "singing" on them.
    In the NT, they are not called "Seraphim", but have similarities, and it says they sing.

Again - I don't know.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And I don't think anybody is disputing that the beasts and the winged creatures sang.

I guess the next question would be "are they angels"?
    That was my first question. They are either a higher form of angel, or something different, because it mentions the angels and the four living creatures as seperate in some places. And there are only 4 of them.

But they seem to be the same as what Ezekiel saw.

Then again, revelation is a vision and a lot of the stuff John saw was representations of things. Apocalyptic imagery.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    The Seraphim in Isaiah - the Hebrew there is also "called", not "sang". I'm inclined to think they WERE angels, and not a good "proof" that "angels sing".

On the other hand, the words in the NT from which "beast" comes -

zo'on

a living being

an animal, brute, beast

Not as likely, in my opinion, to be considered "angel" - but, again, I don't know.
    Are not angels 'living beings'? You still have not defined what is and is not an angel. Do you think that the creatures in Revelation are not intended to allude to the same seraphim in Isaiah 6?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    OK, I think I'm going to give up.
    Yay!!! I win!!!

I am not "arguing from silence" -- I'm just aware that there is a lot of "teaching" out there that comes from tradition, or somebody's opinion. I am NOWHERE stating that angels do not sing, or cannot sing -- I have tried to make that clear several times throughout this thread.

I'm simply asking if there are any verses where it clearly says they DO sing.
    did someone say something?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    What else would they be? Do you also think that the 6-winged seraphim in Isaiah 6 might not be angels? What is your definition of 'angel'?
    The Seraphim in Isaiah - the Hebrew there is also "called", not "sang". I'm inclined to think they WERE angels, and not a good "proof" that "angels sing".

On the other hand, the words in the NT from which "beast" comes -

zo'on

a living being

an animal, brute, beast

Not as likely, in my opinion, to be considered "angel" - but, again, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    And I don't think anybody is disputing that the beasts and the winged creatures sang.

What else would they be? Do you also think that the 6-winged seraphim in Isaiah 6 might not be angels? What is your definition of 'angel'?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I already did, in Post #53:

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Please, Robrecth -- just state your opinion, ok? You think they are "angels"?
    I already did, in Post #53:

The four living creatures in Revelation 4,8 each have six wings and surround the throne of God, which seems to identify them as angels, presumably the seraphim mentioned in Isaiah 6, and in Revelation 5,9 these creatures are singing a new song, which probably also implies they were singing in Revelation 4, but, regardless, they are definitely singing in Revelation 5.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think you are trying to argue from silence. But there are verses that indicate that angels sing. I don't see why they would not or could not sing. They can speak. So why would they not be able to sing? Singing is speaking in various tones and pitches. It would make sense that they can and do sing praises to God.
    OK, I think I'm going to give up.

I am not "arguing from silence" -- I'm just aware that there is a lot of "teaching" out there that comes from tradition, or somebody's opinion. I am NOWHERE stating that angels do not sing, or cannot sing -- I have tried to make that clear several times throughout this thread.

I'm simply asking if there are any verses where it clearly says they DO sing.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    When angels are mentioned, the word is "taught" or "said" or "called".
    When the beasts or elders are mentioned, the word is definitely "sang" and "song".

I can't accept that this is just sloppy translation or observation on John's part.
    I didn't even imply that it was merely sloppy - there is probably a reason for it and that's what I've been saying we're missing. We don't know the translator's reasoning and without that you're just guessing which should be which.

I gotta run now - later!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    How many different types of 6-winged creatures are there that surround God's throne?
    Please, Robrecth -- just state your opinion, ok? You think they are "angels"?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    OK, I see what you're saying now -- I brushed over it because I already allowed (in my own head) that IF the 4 living creatures (and or the 4 and 20 elders) were actually to be considered angels, then there's a stronger case, for sure. Just like the very first mention that BTC made in the OT.
    I think you are trying to argue from silence. But there are verses that indicate that angels sing. I don't see why they would not or could not sing. They can speak. So why would they not be able to sing? Singing is speaking in various tones and pitches. It would make sense that they can and do sing praises to God.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    In this instance when we have competing - not necessarily contradictory - translations you need a reason why.
    When angels are mentioned, the word is "taught" or "said" or "called".
    When the beasts or elders are mentioned, the word is definitely "sang" and "song".

I can't accept that this is just sloppy translation or observation on John's part.

Leave a comment: