Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Enduring Incarnation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enduring Incarnation?

Hello, TWeb, I was speaking with a friend last night and we had a disagreement about the Incarnation. I firmly believe that Jesus is currently human, and has been human since He was born of Mary, I argued that because He was resurrected in a body that Thomas could touch the holes in, that Jesus remained human, and is not significantly different comparing Him post ressurection and Him post Ascension. My friend argued that because in 1 Corinthians 15 Paul distinguishes between earthly bodies and heavenly bodies that earthly body is roughly synonymous for human body (because He is the first fruits of heavenly bodies) and therefore Jesus no longer has a human body, and human is a descriptor for things of this Earth, irrelevant to Heaven or the New Creation.

In sum, I believe the Incarnation is forever, and he claimed it lasted only until the Ascension. He is not a heretic, he is thoroughly orthodox and can affirm the Nicene Creed as well as I (and has experienced saving grace and life change) but I wanted to know if this was a view ever encountered by others. I hadn't heard any teachings on it, and I assumed everyone who believed in the Incarnation thought it was continuous like I do, but you know what they say about assuming.

Do any of you share this view?
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

The whole point of the resurrection is that Jesus was the first fruits and that we too will be resurrected in a physical body. So our heavenly bodies will be perfected human bodies and that means that Jesus is still in a such a body. Otherwise there is no point in the resurrection, either for Jesus or for us.

Comment

He agrees the body is physical, but he dislikes the term "human."
      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
        The way I look at it is like this: When God created Adam and Eve, they were the model of the perfect humans. If they had not sinned, they would have lived forever in their human bodies. The resurrection restores us to that state of perfection. If anything we will be MORE human than we are now since we will have no flaws.

Comment

What's wrong with human? We sure won't be angels. Or *insert favorite human aliens here*.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;". - 1 Timothy 2:5. Teaches Jesus is a man.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

What sort of bodies does your friend think we will have when we are glorified? The same as the ones we now inhabit or other. Sounds an awfully lot like a semantic difference.

I personally expect to have a physical "heavenly" body of flesh and bone, and will still I imagine be human. His is an odd position I have not run into before. I see God eternally tying Himself to human kind with the resurrection as a man who will never again die. He is eternally man.
              Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Thank you 37818, my friend and I while we know the Scriptures pretty well, are both 19, and it was 2AM, that verse would have been helpful towards our coming to a speedy agreement.

I agree Sparko's, and I used that argument.

I agree Christianbookwork, and I used that argument minus aliens.

This isn't about me "winning" either though, I will share that verse and push no further.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  What sort of bodies does your friend think we will have when we are glorified? The same as the ones we now inhabit or other. Sounds an awfully lot like a semantic difference.

I personally expect to have a physical "heavenly" body of flesh and bone, and will still I imagine be human. His is an odd position I have not run into before. I see God eternally tying Himself to human kind with the resurrection as a man who will never again die. He is eternally man.
                  You're right, while at times we seemed far apart, we both left feeling like it was primarily semantics between us, this conversation went for about and hour and a half, was intense at times, but both of us were tired.

Comment

I dislike the term "human" in regards to Christ, only because it, by itself, discounts His deity....

I often say he was ALL GOD and ALL MAN - the GODMAN Christ Jesus.

HOWEVER, on earth, He no doubt was incarnated (wrapped in flesh) in a human body.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;". - 1 Timothy 2:5. Teaches Jesus is a man.
                      And MORE.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I dislike the term "human" in regards to Christ, only because it, by itself, discounts His deity....

I often say he was ALL GOD and ALL MAN - the GODMAN Christ Jesus.

HOWEVER, on earth, He no doubt was incarnated (wrapped in flesh) in a human body.
                        Dear CP,

He really was fully human even as He was and is always fully deity. In the incarnation (John 1:14) the only thing that changed was how He was "with God" (John 1:1, 2). That He "was God" (John 1:1, 3) never changed. (Malachi 3:6.)
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And MORE.
                          How would He only being the man hear those now millions of prayers all at once? Remember as the man He was always in heaven even when He walked this earth (John 3:13. ". . . [even] the Son of man who is in heaven.").

Comment

We could possibly make a distinction of four terms to clarify how to see Christ Jesus in his raised state while contrasted against the non-raised man

1. Man -- as a general term referring to all who people who have lived on the earth
                            2. Human -- as a species of the animal kingdom (at least from a naturalistic science mode of thinking)
                            3. New Creature -- all believers -- a state which still appears as if only human
                            4. Resurrected man -- the resurrected state which may then not be restricted to the physical limitations of humans

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              Dear CP,

He really was fully human even as He was and is always fully deity. In the incarnation (John 1:14) the only thing that changed was how He was "with God" (John 1:1, 2). That He "was God" (John 1:1, 3) never changed. (Malachi 3:6.)
                              Dear 3718

No foolin!

Comment