Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Transhumanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transhumanism

Or the Singularity: merging of human and machine to a superior level of humanness is being discussed by the intellectuals and academicians of the world more and more because it's becoming more and more inevitable. Some of this includes actually altering human DNA. The question is: how far does it go before it becomes unchristian, or does it ever become unchristian?

In case anyone's not familiar with the subject, here are some related links...

http://www.uprs.edu/upr-blog/transhu...superhumanism/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/1...-for-ever.html

http://philosophypress.co.uk/?p=1197

http://www.academia.edu/4443176/O_Su...dia_Aesthetics

https://clas.asu.edu/asu-receives-gr...ion-innovation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2563415/

Comment

At the very least, we can say that the desire to escape death through scientific means is bound to be futile, for as Hebrews 9:27 reminds me, it is appointed once for men to die. There's only one sure way to escape death, and we know what that is.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Would you allow microsoft to put a chip in your head? They can't even keep a computer operating system running smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          At the very least, we can say that the desire to escape death through scientific means is bound to be futile, for as Hebrews 9:27 reminds me, it is appointed once for men to die. There's only one sure way to escape death, and we know what that is.
          Mass immortality without fast interstellar travel would be disastrous.

Actually having the current crop of elites ruling us for longer than their natural lifespan would be disastrous.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That's a good point, and this is what I"m interested in; correlating the prospects of science and its desire to physically alter humanity with scripture. What does that passage in Hebrews mean exactly? Is it stating a truth about the impossibility of nature or is it stating a theological truth. IOW, is it impossible via natural means, or is possible just divinely forbidden?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              That's a good point, and this is what I"m interested in; correlating the prospects of science and its desire to physically alter humanity with scripture. What does that passage in Hebrews mean exactly? Is it stating a truth about the impossibility of nature or is it stating a theological truth. IOW, is it impossible via natural means, or is possible just divinely forbidden?
              That's a good question. It could be either. Genesis 6:3 does seem to state it more in terms of being divinely forbidden. But even if people could find a way around it, it would only last until Jesus returned.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This is the very near future. I thought this would be an important discussion among Christians. Oh well.

Comment

This is the very near future. I thought this would be an important discussion among Christians. Oh well.
                  Not with me. I've barely heard of the topic.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

The first thing I think of when you say merging of human and machine is sci-fi: androids and cyborgs and whatnot. And my immediate response to that is, despite what modern people think, such a merging would lead to an inferior humanness, not a superior one. I personally believe, if it ever becomes possible, people will very quickly become disillusioned with having made themselves part-machine and will forever wish they had never done so. The biological body is just vastly superior to any man-made machine or computer.

Of course, I also think these intellectuals are disobeying Psalm 131 and are talking about things waaaaaay over their head, even though they probably arrogantly think they are learned enough to discuss such matters.

And the intellectuals who think they will one day conquer death are horribly misguided, and completely lost without Christ.

Comment

It's a fascinating subject. It covers everything from actual life extension technology, DNA modification to enhance human abilities to actually downloading data from the computer directly into your brain. Some of this is right out of the Matrix-type stuff, but it's being taken as a serious reality by academics worldwide. Christians should be aware of this and decide when this becomes unchristian before this technology becomes a reality and they're faced with societal pressure to integrate themselves with this technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post

And the intellectuals who think they will one day conquer death are horribly misguided, and completely lost without Christ.
                        But what if they do. Or perhaps simulate something that at least looks like immortality (i.e. uploading the human mind into a computer system). How will Christians handle this?
                        Last edited by seanD; 02-02-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

But what if they do. Or perhaps simulate something that at least looks like immortality (i.e. uploading the human mind into a computer system). How will Christians handle this?
                          With skepticism, no doubt. Any rebellion against God can only last as long as it takes for Jesus to return.

Comment

Two comments. No matter what you do the heat death of the universe is the end, organism or machine.

Downloading what amounts to a copy of some part of the human mind into a computer system does not extend life at all. No more than any recording is the original thing. Plus your conscious mind is only a part of who you are. Your body is an integral part of who you are.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

With skepticism, no doubt. Any rebellion against God can only last as long as it takes for Jesus to return.
                              Yeah, that.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment