Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"Boy who came back from heaven" recants his story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in high school, I went on a mission trip where we served at an inner city soup kitchen. The head of the kitchen claimed in promotional materials to have been hit by a truck and gone to heaven at age 3, and described it in terms of containing colors that don't exist on Earth... and that he was sent back.

I honestly didn't know what to make of it. I didn't want to just come out and disbelieve him; I don't want to unjustly limit God's power. But something seemed off. The kitchen was handing out Chick tracts. They also had a lady who dressed up in a manner I'd associate with other professions to evangelize, emphasizing a likely end of the world within the next year or two. Maybe it's unfair but these factors made me wary.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The answer is in John 3:13.

No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.
      Seems pretty clear to me. Also, Hebrew 9:27,

And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment,
      Whatever the experience of those who claim to have visited heaven is, it is not death and it is not heaven, according to scripture.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Whatever the experience of those who claim to have visited heaven is, it is not death and it is not heaven, according to scripture.
        I don't know Mossy. how about 2 Cor 12:2-4?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Moss how would you read 2Cor. 12:2 in light of John 3:13? 2Cor. 12:2 states:

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago-- whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows-- such a man was caught up to the third heaven."

Also Hebrews 11:5 seems to indicate that Enoch was taken up to heaven as well..?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I don't know Mossy. how about 2 Cor 12:2-4?
            Verse 1 says Paul is referring to visions. So I assume the person who had the vision wasn't dead. And the common thought is that it was Paul himself who had the vision.

1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord.

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.

3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—

4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.
            Also note that "this man" was not permitted to speak about what he saw. So that would negate all the books and stuff that come about from people who say they have been to heaven.

John had a vision of heaven too, one that he WAS permitted to speak about, in the book of Revelation. I assume John was not dead, either, when he had his vision.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
              Have you read Heaven is for Real? I'm not recommending it, but there were some claims of that nature. A general out-of-body experience might be more believable, depending on the evidence. But Malarkey's story sounded fairly ridiculous from what I heard. Also, hello.
              Hi LeaC, and welcome to the forum. Yeah, I’m just trying to wrap my head around why this book was a bestseller. An out-of-body experience would explain this to me, but I'm guessing this isn't the case here. Since it was a kid, maybe people perceived it as legit because children supposedly don't lie. I just don't know

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                Moss how would you read 2Cor. 12:2 in light of John 3:13? 2Cor. 12:2 states:

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago-- whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows-- such a man was caught up to the third heaven."

Also Hebrews 11:5 seems to indicate that Enoch was taken up to heaven as well..?
                I have referred to the Corinthians passage in my reply to Bill.

As for Enoch, that is an event that was only repeated with Elijah, both of whom were taken up to heaven. Genesis 5:24
                Enoch walked with God, and was not, for God took him
                which implies that he didn't return. Neither did Elijah.

2 Kings 2:11

As they were going along and talking, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven.
                I view those as precursors to the rapture, which is a whole nother ball of wax.
                Last edited by mossrose; 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Hi LeaC, and welcome to the forum. Yeah, I’m just trying to wrap my head around why this book was a bestseller. An out-of-body experience would explain this to me, but I'm guessing this isn't the case here. Since it was a kid, maybe people perceived it as legit because children supposedly don't lie. I just don't know
                  Probably is the reason! In my experience, children are very sincere about they believe to be the truth, which, er, doesn't mean they aren't lying, so I wish people didn't have that perception... but you're right that many do. Otherwise, I don't know why it or Colton's story became bestsellers(the latter I found boring), but I say that about many bestsellers...

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                    Probably is the reason! In my experience, children are very sincere about they believe to be the truth, which, er, doesn't mean they aren't lying, so I wish people didn't have that perception... but you're right that many do. Otherwise, I don't know why it or Colton's story became bestsellers(the latter I found boring), but I say that about many bestsellers...
                    I think that's a big part of it. Children have genuine beliefs all the time that are based on misconceptions (one that I've seen involved believing a stuffed animal was genuinely alive because it had moved locations in a manner the child could not account for).
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I think that's a big part of it. Children have genuine beliefs all the time that are based on misconceptions (one that I've seen involved believing a stuffed animal was genuinely alive because it had moved locations in a manner the child could not account for).
                      Kids are also led to believe untrue things by their parents.

Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny are a couple that come to mind.

Comment

I don't understand. What is untrue about Santa and the Easter Bunny?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I don't understand. What is untrue about Santa and the Easter Bunny?
                          They really don't know the tooth fairy

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have referred to the Corinthians passage in my reply to Bill.

As for Enoch, that is an event that was only repeated with Elijah, both of whom were taken up to heaven. Genesis 5:24 which implies that he didn't return. Neither did Elijah.

2 Kings 2:11

I view those as precursors to the rapture, which is a whole nother ball of wax.
                            OK, but we do have two people (Enoch & Elijah), possibly three (if we include Paul), who were taken to heaven, right?
                            Last edited by Scrawly; 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                              OK, but we do have two people (Enoch & Elijah), possibly three (if we include Paul), who were taken to heaven, right?
                              Two who went and never came back. Paul was having a vision. He did not really go to heaven.

Comment

Wash your mouth out....errr you typed that.....go wash them hands. St Nick is an awesome and hardworking fellow. (and prone to punching out heretics)
                                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

Comment