Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Music Debate Between Fundamentalist and Rapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    Utter non-sequitur and top drawer ethnocentrism if not blatant racism. This kind of non-thinking shouldn't be found in the church.

I'd like to see scriptural references, but even if true this still is fallacious as pointed out above.

Err, anything and everything can be set to promiscuous lyrics. It's not intrinsic to any one kind of musical style.

So what? Is music utterly outside of God's redeeming power?

I am, of course, directing all of this at Mr. Racist Old Man Scared of Music Styles He Didn't Grow Up With and not at Zymologist.
    Yeah, I'm not at all convinced. I was most intrigued by the discussion when Shai asked Scott to give an example of clearly sinful music, and Scott (of course!) gives Christian death metal. Given my unashamed love of metal, this piqued my interest. I wasn't particularly impressed with his analysis of it.

So I think we are in agreement. And I'm not a huge fan of rap either.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Comment

To be clear, I should point out that the 16th-18th century European music argument did not come from Scott Aniol, though his arguments are similar in a few superficial ways. I gave it as an actual example of what I thought was a clearly absurd argument.

Comment

I happen to like Shai Linne's music and what he is doing, so naturally, I disagree with his opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I recently read something by a scholar who argued that much of the NT is written in informal language of that time, almost close to what might be considered slang in some parts. I wish I could remember exactly where I saw that. (It also would have been relevant a year or so ago when another poster spoke about a fellowship of men he was involved with that believed that everyday speech should be in the language of the King James Bible era.) Needless to say, I would probably be dubious about Scott's claim here.
            This has been debunked. The Koine Greek of the New Testament is not the language of the marketplace. It's its own sort of "Biblese" that constantly uses phrases and grammatical structures out of the Septuagint to a degree found in no writings contemporary to it.

That said, I find the arguments against Christian rap both theologically and anthropologically untenable. They boil down to "I am a victim of confirmation bias, seeing only the bad in other sub-cultures and only the good in my own."

Comment

Hey, Bermster. Glad to see you made it back.

Comment

Hmmm, well I would argue that Shia Linne's music is probably some of the theologically heavier stuff available.

For example his QnA on the Atonement is solid stuff. (now you may agree with his Calvinism, as a fellow reformed I obviously don't, but not much other music out there consists basically of pure theology)
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw

Or his Greatest Story Ever Told
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWgrzqEVZ4

Tim Challies, who personally doesn't enjoy Rap, recently went over a new book published by Cruciform Press: Does God Listen to Rap? Christians and the World’s Most Controversial Music by Curtis Allen
                http://www.challies.com/cruciform-pr...-christian-rap
                I haven't read it yet but it's on my Kindle wishlist.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

This does seem like an old debate continued with the latest music. The pastor of a church I went to many years ago did a sermon on the evil of rock music and particularly how drums are of the devil. Ironically, the next week we had a visiting missionary from Africa who was an ethnomusicologist. She talked about being able to reach Africans for Christ through their music, which of course included a lot of drums. I guess I should give the paster props for letting her come -- maybe he didn't know what he was getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                    This has been debunked. The Koine Greek of the New Testament is not the language of the marketplace. It's its own sort of "Biblese" that constantly uses phrases and grammatical structures out of the Septuagint to a degree found in no writings contemporary to it.

That said, I find the arguments against Christian rap both theologically and anthropologically untenable. They boil down to "I am a victim of confirmation bias, seeing only the bad in other sub-cultures and only the good in my own."
                    This is interesting. To what degree does the language differ from what was used in ordinary writing (as opposed to everyday speech, which would naturally be more difficult to know much about?) Since Paul had a habit of cobbling quotations from various sources, if that were the case, it would seem that these would stick out like a sore thumb if there was a significant difference.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                      This does seem like an old debate continued with the latest music. The pastor of a church I went to many years ago did a sermon on the evil of rock music and particularly how drums are of the devil. Ironically, the next week we had a visiting missionary from Africa who was an ethnomusicologist. She talked about being able to reach Africans for Christ through their music, which of course included a lot of drums. I guess I should give the paster props for letting her come -- maybe he didn't know what he was getting into.
                      It is an old debate. And the arguments against it haven't really gotten any better, they just don't look quite as shallow as they used to (like the argument that rock music kills plants).

Comment

Part of me just wants to scream "Move on from milk to meat!" But I have to understand this is a real concern for people who are genuinely and honestly concerned about the propriety of the music (and I'm not a rap fan myself).
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've wondered why this topic interests me so much; I really don't know why it does. I have settled the issue in my own conscience, so it's not because of any lingering doubts on my part.

I'd probably irritate myself a lot less if I quit reading these debates on music and morality.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I've wondered why this topic interests me so much; I really don't know why it does. I have settled the issue in my own conscience, so it's not because of any lingering doubts on my part.

I'd probably irritate myself a lot less if I quit reading these debates on music and morality.
                            To be clear, my previous post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at people who spent lots of time and energy trying to tear down Christian musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              To be clear, my previous post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at people who spent lots of time and energy trying to tear down Christian musicians.
                              I thought so, but thanks for the clarification. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                                Hmmm, well I would argue that Shia Linne's music is probably some of the theologically heavier stuff available.

For example his QnA on the Atonement is solid stuff. (now you may agree with his Calvinism, as a fellow reformed I obviously don't, but not much other music out there consists basically of pure theology)
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUciHVpCbw

Or his Greatest Story Ever Told
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWgrzqEVZ4

Tim Challies, who personally doesn't enjoy Rap, recently went over a new book published by Cruciform Press: Does God Listen to Rap? Christians and the World’s Most Controversial Music by Curtis Allen
                                http://www.challies.com/cruciform-pr...-christian-rap
                                I haven't read it yet but it's on my Kindle wishlist.
                                I wish more Christian music was theologically heavy, instead of being highly-repetitious, feel-good garbage. I'm neither Reformed nor a rap fan, but I like and respect Shai Linne's music a lot for what he does.

Comment