Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joy

So what exactly does joy, derived from the Holy Spirit, look like? I often see believers acting super-smiley much of the time. Quite frankly it makes me uncomfortable when I'm in their midst. I feel pressured to exert this overtly joyous disposition, and if I don't, it's almost as if I am avoided and/or marginalized - like negativity is the devil or a sober, serious disposition is bordering on demonically possessed. Now I am exaggerating of course but It is nonetheless a bit perplexing to me because I find that same joyous disposition amongst people of the world and or amongst cultic positive-thinking advocates. Now don't get me wrong, I am actually not a negative person or always gloomy, I can be quite flamboyant, but generally it is tempered with seriousness much of the time. Now of course there are plenty of unbelievers who are likewise flamboyant at times but temper that child-like energy with seriousness, so by no means am I attempting to highlight the joy of the more "not smiling is sin" believers as an inauthentic, worldly joy, but I do find it somewhat disconcerting. Any insight is more than welcome.

It deserves a word study. The word meaning cheerfulness, denoting a calm delight. (Strong's) It is used some 59 times in the KJV. I had not given it much thought other than it is part of the fruit of the Spirit, which all of us have, being Christians.

And Jesus' words, ". . . These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and [that] your joy might be full. . . . " -- John 15:11.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      It deserves a word study. The word meaning cheerfulness, denoting a calm delight. (Strong's) It is used some 59 times in the KJV. I had not given it much thought other than it is part of the fruit of the Spirit, which all of us have, being Christians.

And Jesus' words, ". . . These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and [that] your joy might be full. . . . " -- John 15:11.
      Oh wow a calm delight. Certainly this is what I experience. Thank-you man.

Comment

I see it as a kind of contentment, regardless of the circumstances one finds oneself in. It doesn't mean we don't experience sadness or grief, and it certainly doesn't mean putting a phony face on.

Just my opinion, though. The word study is good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          Oh wow a calm delight. Certainly this is what I experience. Thank-you man.
          You are very welcome and thank you. I'm glad I was able to help. You got me to ponder this.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I have long thought of that joy as gladness. I am so glad that I know Christ.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That's right, it can't be faked. If you're not in the kingdom, you can't feel the emotion:

Romans 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
              Last edited by footwasher; 01-05-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I see it as a kind of contentment, regardless of the circumstances one finds oneself in. It doesn't mean we don't experience sadness or grief, and it certainly doesn't mean putting a phony face on.

Just my opinion, though. The word study is good.
                Yeah, "happiness" depends on "happenings", or circumstances. Joy comes from within, and gives you that sense of "all is well" even in challenging circumstances. An assurance that God is in control, and nothing catches Him by surprise.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is the kingdom of God? It is being in that state of unity with the Godhead:

John 17:20“I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

One is mistaken in thinking that joy is found in success. Not so. It is being in the will of God:

Luke 10:17The seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” 18And He said to them, “I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. 19“Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. 20“Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.”

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                    One is mistaken in thinking that joy is found in success.

A) Who claimed that?
                    2) Depend on your definition of success.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The first misunderstanding is that those who rejoice are the ones who believe they are going to "heaven". This would explain the smiles on the face of the we see at Christian gatherings.

We have plenty of scripture that describes the unpleasant surprise waiting for those who thought this. If you study the passages closely, they each had different reasons for their confidence, but what they really lacked was that they had not "gathered". You are either gathering or scattering. There really is no middle ground. It's what gets the 72 into the Book of Life

The second misunderstanding is that people think they need to be successful in this gathering to STAY in the Book of Life:

Exodus 32:32"But now, if You will, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!"

Not so. You just have to stay with the program. You are not the bus. You are only the conductor:

Numbers 20:12But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you have not believed Me, to treat Me as holy in the sight of the sons of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them.”

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      A) Who claimed that?
                      2) Depend on your definition of success.

Comment

The first misunderstanding is that those who rejoice are the ones who believe they are going to "heaven". This would explain the smiles on the face of the we see at Christian gatherings.

We have plenty of scripture that describes the unpleasant surprise waiting for those who thought this. If you study the passages closely, they each had different reasons for their confidence, but what they really lacked was that they had not "gathered". You are either gathering or scattering. There really is no middle ground. It's what gets the 72 into the Book of Life

The second misunderstanding is that people think they need to be successful in this gathering to STAY in the Book of Life:

Exodus 32:32"But now, if You will, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!"

Not so. You just have to stay with the program. You are not the bus. You are only the conductor:

Numbers 20:12But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you have not believed Me, to treat Me as holy in the sight of the sons of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them.”
                        You're really over thinking this, brother. The joy of the Lord is my strength.

And "success" could be defined in the eyes of the Christian as being obedient to Christ.

Comment

"Obedient"? So you are not "sola fide"?

:)

Better to over think than to over expect.

God's people perish for lack of knowledge.

You're really over thinking this, brother. The joy of the Lord is my strength.

And "success" could be defined in the eyes of the Christian as being obedient to Christ.

Comment

"Obedient"? So you are not "sola fide"?
                            I think you're just looking for an argument. Obedience brings us joy, not Salvation. And obedience is better than sacrifice.

Comment

1 Who claimed that?
                              2 Define salvation.

I think you're just looking for an argument. Obedience brings us joy, not Salvation. And obedience is better than sacrifice.

Comment