• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
    1 Who claimed that?
    2 Define salvation.
    no
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think some of the verses mentioned in the thread have been misapplied. So Christians feel obligated to be joyful even when they are not. This produces the fakeness you're perceiving.

After all let's face it, most Christians aren't as mature as Paul and to expect Paul-like behavior from them is unrealistic.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Good. With that out of the way, let's continue in building up one another.

Jesus taught that grounds for rejoicing was that one worked to keep his name in the book of life, have eternal life.

John taught that one could know that this was happening by the love present in the believer's life.

1 John 4:7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Which interestingly is to help others have eternal life:

John 15:13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 17:3Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Now, obedience IS sacrifice. Unless a seed dies it cannot bear fruit. Which means over thinking, saying hard truths.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        no
        Last edited by footwasher; 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One shouldn't make obedience antithetical to sacrifice. Obedience requires sacrifice. Saul did not sacrifice. He usurped Samuel's ministry. Samuel was being sarcastic.

Keeping Jesus' commands is gonna involve plenty o' sacrifice.

John 15:9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

It's a lot more simple than you're trying to make it.
            Last edited by footwasher; 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

One shouldn't make obedience antithetical to sacrifice. Obedience requires sacrifice. Saul did not sacrifice. He usurped Samuel's ministry. Samuel was being sarcastic.
              You need joy.

And LEARN HOW TO QUOTE!!!!!! Comments FOLLOW the quote, not precede it!

Comment

Keeping Jesus' commands is gonna involve plenty o' sacrifice.
                Not necessarily. When you truly experience the joy of serving Jesus, it becomes fun, not sacrifice -- and when you DO sacrifice, you count it all joy.

Comment

You need joy.

And LEARN HOW TO QUOTE!!!!!! Comments FOLLOW the quote, not precede it!

Jest stand on yer haid!
                  Last edited by footwasher; 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Not necessarily. When you truly experience the joy of serving Jesus, it becomes fun, not sacrifice -- and when you DO sacrifice, you count it all joy.
                    Yo' jes provin mah point.

Comment

Yo' jes provin mah point.
                      You're even more confused than I thought.

Comment

You're even more confused than I thought.
                        Yo' jest lookin' to argue.

Comment

There is Joy in serving Jesus.

Comment

There is Joy in serving Jesus.
                            Which is in picking up ones cross. Saying hard truths being one way. Hey I don't enjoy being opposed. Just enjoy being in God's will.

Comment

Which is in picking up ones cross. Saying hard truths being one way. Hey I don't enjoy being opposed. Just enjoy being in God's will.
                              I think you're a bit of a legalist looking for ways to make things difficult. Perhaps it makes you feel more important because it's something you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                                So what exactly does joy, derived from the Holy Spirit, look like?
                                I think it depends on context. I am very joyful when I'm laughing in the Spirit, but equally, I know not everyone will, or even wants to express joy in that manner. In fact, I know not all are joyous that I just admitted to doing that, and would be even less if they saw it. But joy can be expressed in any number of ways, it could look like prayer, singing, dancing, shouting, laughing, clapping, sitting with your head bowed... You get the picture.

I'm not saying any of those should be pursued for joy's sake but those can be ways that you see it. No shame in a sober manner.

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.
                                -1 Peter 4:7
                                Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment