Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Acid Test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Acid Test.

"Did King David lose his salvation while in adultery and murder and BEFORE he repented - yes or no?"

Now I answered the question no. So I failed this test.

Two reasons I answered no. One, the holy scripture states, ". . . the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward." And second, David did not ask that the God's spirit be returned to him, but rather, ". . . take not thy holy spirit from me."

If the question was could David have lost his salvation while in adultery and murder having NOT repented. I would have to answer in that case, yes. But that is not the history.

The Acid Test is a concoction of the hyper-Arminianism holiness preacher Dan Corner. Here
    yes
    16.67%
    no
    83.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 37818; 01-03-2015, 04:42 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

We don't have an exact set of criterion for what would have saved people in the OT so I don't think there's any way to accurately answer this question without speculating.

I am Arminian like Corner and agree with his general stance against easy-believism, but he is way over the top in a number of ways.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Often I hear his "return unto me the joy of my salvation" used in a sense that he had lost his salvation, but as KG pointed out, we really don't have a full understanding of what "salvation" was in the OT, other than "faith". I think he had lost the JOY of his salvation, not necessarily the salvation - whatever that entails.

I know a lot of Christians who appear to have lost the "joy" of their salvation.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        We don't have an exact set of criterion for what would have saved people in the OT so I don't think there's any way to accurately answer this question without speculating.

I am Arminian like Corner and agree with his general stance against easy-believism, but he is way over the top in a number of ways.
        I believe in easy believism (Matthew 11:28-30). That it is God who does the saving and God how does the keeping. So if I'm wrong about eternal security of the believer. I am still right that it is God who does the saving. We do not save ourselves. While we are self willed beings (having what we call free will), we need God to save us, because we cannot save ourselves.

I think it is worthy of discussion. To maybe understand and acknowledge views we disagree with. It dos not have to be heated debate. Though some cannot avoid it.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The Catholic Church holds that mortal sin kills the soul by depriving a person of the grace needed for salvation, and it also holds that all the patriarchs in the Old Testament are now in Heaven.

The reason is that David likely had what's called perfect contrition for his sins. That means that he was sorry for having committed them (insofar as he knew of them), and repented of them seeking to live a life free of them, all out of love for God rather than fear of God's righteous judgments. This suffices to obtain the graces that would ordinarily only have been available to them in the yearly Passover sacrifice, or the Sacrament of Penance available now.
          Last edited by Leonhard; 01-03-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Often I hear his "return unto me the joy of my salvation" used in a sense that he had lost his salvation, but as KG pointed out, we really don't have a full understanding of what "salvation" was in the OT, other than "faith". I think he had lost the JOY of his salvation, not necessarily the salvation - whatever that entails.

I know a lot of Christians who appear to have lost the "joy" of their salvation.
            Some of us, do have opinions on this. I do. I believe King David was saved, but not in that time born again, not yet possessing eternal life as post Pentecost Christians do. My view.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              I believe in easy believism (Matthew 11:28-30). That it is God who does the saving and God how does the keeping. So if I'm wrong about eternal security of the believer. I am still right that it is God who does the saving. We do not save ourselves. While we are self willed beings (having what we call free will), we need God to save us, because we cannot save ourselves.

I think it is worthy of discussion. To maybe understand and acknowledge views we disagree with. It dos not have to be heated debate. Though some cannot avoid it.
              But it's like somebody offering you a very valuable gift -- you have to be willing to receive it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some of us, do have opinions on this. I do. I believe King David was saved, but not in that time born again, not yet possessing eternal life as post Pentecost Christians do. My view.
                Wouldn't this contradict Jesus saying that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all alive? Or the appearances of Moses and Elias during the Transfiguration?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  The Catholic Church holds both that mortal sin kills the soul and deprives a person of the grace needed for salvation, and it also holds that all the patriarchs in the Old Testament are now in Heaven.

The reason is that David likely had what's called perfect contrition for his sins. That means that he was sorry for having committed them (insofar as he knew of them), and repented of them seeking to live a life free of them, all out of love for God rather than fear of God's righteous judgments. This suffices to obtain the graces that would ordinarily only have been available to them in the yearly Passover sacrifice, or the Sacrament of Penance available now.
                  Those are other nuances in differences in our faith groups understandings. Dan Corner is a former Catholic BTW.

Protestants refer to the two Christian observances as sacraments. From my baptist perspective, there are no sacraments as such. Also there are free will baptists who hold to an Arminianism view point.

Comment

I'd be interested in discussing this and seeing if we can sharpen iron with iron.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I would say no, but I take the author's point that holy living and living out holiness is vital for Christians, we are set apart and should look it.
                      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Wouldn't this contradict Jesus saying that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all alive? Or the appearances of Moses and Elias during the Transfiguration?
                        Yes, one can understand it that way. I do not see it that way, as being contradictory. I'm looking at it from the view of possessing eternal life so to go into heaven (2 Corinthians 5:8) after leaving the body, as opposed to going to the nether world, the realm of the dead, sheol, even in its upper compartment (Psalm 86:13; Luke 16:19-31 as being an actual event, Deuteronomy 32:22, the upper compartment then where paradise was Luke 23:43 where Jesus also went in those three days).

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          But it's like somebody offering you a very valuable gift -- you have to be willing to receive it.
                          That is a common Christian understanding. And salvation is that type of gift. I am of the opinion that the reason persons do not accept this gift, they really do no understand it (2 Corinthians 4:3). This would include apparent former professing Christians. Again my view.

Comment

Salvation is not something that comes and goes each time you sin and are forgiven, but rather it depends on whether you name is in the Lamb's Book of Life.
                            "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I'd be interested in discussing this and seeing if we can sharpen iron with iron.
                              Is there a particular facet of Arminianism - Calvinism - Fullerism - etc. That you would like to compare? I do not hold the Arminianism nor the Calvinism view. I believe in total depravity of man (Romans 3:11). In conditional election. Unmerited election, the election being wholly God's. I believe in resistible grace. Universe purchase of all men by the payment Christ made on the cross. And that God keeps those whom He saves. My understanding, my view.

So where would you like to go with this? Or do you have another issue having to do with this of more interest?

Comment