Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Growing more as Christians in the New Year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing more as Christians in the New Year...

I've seen a lot of people who become Christians, reach a certain plateau, and just seem to get "stuck" there. Some folks who have been Christians for a long time seem to be on auto-pilot.

I have always made it a conscious decision to focus, at the beginning of the year, on areas of personal growth. Sometimes, life happens, and I don't execute, but there's always "next year".

Is there anything you are going to START or STOP doing this year to further your journey as a Christian?

Please limit these things to actual growth as a Christian, not just "eat more bacon" and stuff like that. Maybe we can encourage each other.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have a tendency to tear down instead of building up - I can speak with venom instead of love. I would like to love God, others, and myself from a pure heart and let me words flow forth from that point. I also want to reach a state where I do not worry about my life or what tomorrow will bring but to be prepared each day to stand before God without shrinking back in shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      I have a tendency to tear down instead of building up - I can speak with venom instead of love. I would like to love God, others, and myself from a pure heart and let me words flow forth from that point. I also want to reach a state where I do not worry about my life or what tomorrow will bring but to be prepared each day to stand before God without shrinking back in shame.
      Thanks, Scrawly... I will add you to my prayers. I also want to be a builder-upper more than a tearer-downer.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I know I hold a minority position on this, but I very much want to speak in tongues to edify myself more this year, and I hope to be used to prophesy more this year. I have practical control over the first, but I can only put myself in situations for the second and hope I'm used.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          I know I hold a minority position on this, but I very much want to speak in tongues to edify myself more this year,
          If I might politely ask.. who told you your job was to edify yourself? Not being argumentative - just wondering if you realize you said that. Are you getting that from 1 Cor 14:4?

and I hope to be used to prophesy more this year. I have practical control over the first, but I can only put myself in situations for the second and hope I'm used.
          Since the Holy Spirit gives gifts "severally as He will" (1 Cor 12:11), wouldn't it be better to allow the Holy Spirit to equip you as HE sees fit? Again, not trying to do battle -- just trying to understand your objective here.

Comment

For me, I think the biggest thing is that I need to be more confronting. I could REALLY be ham-handed when I was younger, but now it seems like I've gone to the other extreme where I find it tough to tell someone that they need to grow up.
            Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-03-2015, 06:33 PM.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              If I might politely ask.. who told you your job was to edify yourself? Not being argumentative - just wondering if you realize you said that. Are you getting that from 1 Cor 14:4?
              I see the point you are making, and if all I did was try to build up myself I would certainly be foolish, I see in 1 Corinthians 14 teachings on how to best speak in tongues, privately or with an interpreter. Further, it is made clear in vs 14, that while it may be useful for private prayer, it must be balanced against regular prayer, and presumably prayer should be balanced against good works James 2:14-17, and all of this should be done in a holy manner, 1 Peter 1:16.

Since the Holy Spirit gives gifts "severally as He will" (1 Cor 12:11), wouldn't it be better to allow the Holy Spirit to equip you as HE sees fit? Again, not trying to do battle -- just trying to understand your objective here.
              I would mention the desiring of the greater gifts if I were speaking in general, but my post was meant in how I can live differently, and I have prophesied previously, and I believe I have the gift of prophecy, verses 39-40 seem relevant to me.

Does my objective make sense to you now? I am not trying to expand either gift beyond their place, But I believe they should be balanced, not so that I'm taking away from reading Scripture, speaking to God, or even whatever good works I do, but overall I want to do more. I want to do all of these things more, but the two things that have been lacking for me lately are those two I brought up.
              Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                I see the point you are making, and if all I did was try to build up myself I would certainly be foolish, I see in 1 Corinthians 14 teachings on how to best speak in tongues, privately or with an interpreter. Further, it is made clear in vs 14, that while it may be useful for private prayer, it must be balanced against regular prayer, and presumably prayer should be balanced against good works James 2:14-17, and all of this should be done in a holy manner, 1 Peter 1:16.

I would mention the desiring of the greater gifts if I were speaking in general, but my post was meant in how I can live differently, and I have prophesied previously, and I believe I have the gift of prophecy, verses 39-40 seem relevant to me.

Does my objective make sense to you now? I am not trying to expand either gift beyond their place, But I believe they should be balanced, not so that I'm taking away from reading Scripture, speaking to God, or even whatever good works I do, but overall I want to do more. I want to do all of these things more, but the two things that have been lacking for me lately are those two I brought up.
                And I do not wish to discourage you in any way. We are all on a journey. It just seems that the overall context of growing in Christ is so that we can be more effective in the Kingdom Work, and I believe God's blessings come to us because we are focused on the body, not on our own selves.

That being said, I fully realize I started this thread in the sense of what each of us can do to be more Christlike, so I'm rethinking what I'm asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  And I do not wish to discourage you in any way. We are all on a journey. It just seems that the overall context of growing in Christ is so that we can be more effective in the Kingdom Work, and I believe God's blessings come to us because we are focused on the body, not on our own selves.
                  That is a good point, I know I have grown much through disciping others, but I see a real call in 1 Corinthians 14, even if it does seem counter-intuitive.

That being said, I fully realize I started this thread in the sense of what each of us can do to be more Christlike, so I'm rethinking what I'm asking.

Comment

I want to die to myself more so Christ can live in me more. (Galatians 2:20).

If you want to pray for me, please pray that God will accomplish this in my life.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I already started. I've been reading more and working harder at the discipline of prayer. But honestly, the growth I've experienced has all been His doing with no help from me at all.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        I want to die to myself more so Christ can live in me more. (Galatians 2:20).

If you want to pray for me, please pray that God will accomplish this in my life.
                        This.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I want to be like Jesus.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Two things I really want to improve this year would be:

a) Letting arguments and things that upset me go, not just political or religious ones. Realize that some people have hardened their hearts and minds towards God and that getting into arguments and obsessing over them is the OCD talking. They aren't honest seekers, they just want to rave and rave on the internet. They would look pretty stupid off their computer.
                            funny-gif-dogs-fighting-Internet-reality.gif
                            Stop going to certain websites for the purpose of getting myself riled up on the topics above. Help and talk with people in the REAL world more in a constructive environment. All of this is going to be really difficult but I'm going to try.

b) be assertive (neither passive or aggressive) when asked about my faith and neither mince words and become squishy nor become a braggart and a browbeater

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                              b) be assertive (neither passive or aggressive) when asked about my faith and neither mince words and become squishy nor become a braggart and a browbeater
                              We used to watch Dog Whisperer on Animal Planet, and Cesar Miilan talked about the need to be "Calm Assertive" with your dog. My wife says I am VERY "Calm Assertive" with Jake, and that's why he comes to me when there's a thunderstorm or fireworks -- my Calm Assertive energy.

I have consciously begun trying to be aware of exhibiting that same "energy" around people, and I think it helps.

Comment