Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Oh Shush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I believe we are all responsible to work for the edifying of the body, but I do not see that list as exhaustive.
    And I believe that the emphasis is on the edifying of the body, not our own selves.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    I came across this passage lately, and it seemed to me like every Christian is probably supposed to fall into at least one of the following categories. So if someone is not a pastor or a teacher, then he is by default an evangelist.

Ephesians 4:11-12
    And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.
    I believe we are all responsible to work for the edifying of the body, but I do not see that list as exhaustive.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    Well it seems that this sort of talk results in more talk and never really exits the realm of ethereal chatter.
    Yeah, it should be connected with more concrete things we can do - though paying less attention to our own appetites is concrete; it just doesn't go over well.
    That wasn't a quote, I made it up to demonstrate it's effect, which is essentially in one ear and out the other. Something one forgets within a matter of seconds.
    Perhaps you should pay more attention. Your made-up quote contains ideas that are hard to put into practice due to their self-denying nature. People are quite good at not hearing what they don't want to do. I dare say that denying oneself is more difficult than feeding the poor, though both are laudable tasks.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I do not believe God calls us all to go out and be soul winners. He gives a special gift to some for that. What He does expect us to do is live our faith and share with those around us. Not many around you, share with a few.
    We've been having an interesting discussion at our Church about this, because there are lots of people who feel this way. I've asked the Church to pray about it, to write down the names of people who they feel need Jesus, and to begin to pray for them. If God leads beyond that, be prepared to respond. And pray for those who are winning souls, and for Churches who are attempting to reach the lost or unchurched.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Well I don't go out and literally make disciples out of perfect strangers but I do engage in study and prayer and do what I can, but I find myself asking - is this it? This is the effect of the God of all creation and power and wonder in my life? There has to be more...
    Then pray for wisdom to find more.

Leave a comment:

• Obsidian
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    I do not believe God calls us all to go out and be soul winners. He gives a special gift to some for that. What He does expect us to do is live our faith and share with those around us. Not many around you, share with a few.
    I came across this passage lately, and it seemed to me like every Christian is probably supposed to fall into at least one of the following categories. So if someone is not a pastor or a teacher, then he is by default an evangelist.

Ephesians 4:11-12
    And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Leave a comment:

• Scrawly
    replied
    This is true.

Leave a comment:

• Scrawly
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, but everybody can do something. When my Mom was in her twilight years, with advanced diabetes, and nearly blind, my Dad would type up the Church's prayer list in huge font, and she would to to her bedroom and spend HOURS in prayer. I always think about that when somebody tells me how incapable or inadequate they are to serve.

And, HONEST, I'm not trying to find fault or criticize --- I've just seen that ANYBODY can serve regardless of our circumstances. Another lady, an elderly lady in our Church, writes cards of encouragement to our people, and yet another lady in one of our nursing homes is a prayer warrior like my Mom.
    Well I don't go out and literally make disciples out of perfect strangers but I do engage in study and prayer and do what I can, but I find myself asking - is this it? This is the effect of the God of all creation and power and wonder in my life? There has to be more...

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    No my erratic schedule and relatively poor health prevents me from forming any significant relationships with others. I often times have just enough strength and energy to do the basics.
    OK, but everybody can do something. When my Mom was in her twilight years, with advanced diabetes, and nearly blind, my Dad would type up the Church's prayer list in huge font, and she would to to her bedroom and spend HOURS in prayer. I always think about that when somebody tells me how incapable or inadequate they are to serve.

And, HONEST, I'm not trying to find fault or criticize --- I've just seen that ANYBODY can serve regardless of our circumstances. Another lady, an elderly lady in our Church, writes cards of encouragement to our people, and yet another lady in one of our nursing homes is a prayer warrior like my Mom.

Leave a comment:

• Scrawly
    replied
    Are you a discipler?
    No my erratic schedule and relatively poor health prevents me from forming any significant relationships with others. I often times have just enough strength and energy to do the basics.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    It's hard to say without any example, but I am really starting to see what seems like a lot of Christian gibber-jabber about God, and hearing the word over and over and over again, yet when it actually comes to God's power manifesting in our lives, we seem to demonstrate little more than secular living.
    Are you a discipler?

Leave a comment:

• Scrawly
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Oh.....do you mean preachers are to fluffy clouds rainbows and unicorns?

If so, yup I get it. I just don't even pay attention anymore to them
    Yeah there is that as well, but I think I am reaching a point where I want more God and less humanness - and I don't want "more God" to manifest in mere talk about God. It seems our spiritual lives in the West are comprised of books and pithy quotes about God. When it actually comes down to God and us - one on one - what happens? 5 minutes in prayer and then we get bored? I thought God was so amazing, what happened? You see?
    Last edited by Scrawly; 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Oh.....do you mean preachers are to fluffy clouds rainbows and unicorns?

If so, yup I get it. I just don't even pay attention anymore to them

Leave a comment:

• Scrawly
    replied
    So, I'm curious.. I have often started threads on Tweb about things that happened in my Church, or to me or my family, and the insight I have gained, etc.... would those things merit a "shush"?
    It's hard to say without any example, but I am really starting to see what seems like a lot of Christian gibber-jabber about God, and hearing the word over and over and over again, yet when it actually comes to God's power manifesting in our lives, we seem to demonstrate little more than secular living.

Leave a comment: